Has been A and A but I'm still not sure if mine are Natural or Bleached/pinked?

Sue H

Hello all I'm new to the forum, There are several posts about Pearl Bleaching & Pinking that ALL Akoya have been somewhat bleached and/or Pinked. How do I know if mine are Hanadama (untreated) or not? A bit of history: I purchased 2 strands of 6 1/2mm from a personal friend of the family who was a repeatable pearl dealer in 1993 as a gift for my mom. At that time I paid $1400 for the 2 skeins a little above wholesale, strung them as a single rope length and they were appraised for $4000 by a reputable Appraiser. Never gave much thought to the technical details of the pearls as I knew they were a high quality. Now reading up on all the junk floating around the market at ridiculously low prices driving the prices down on Quality Pearls I'm starting to wonder about mine:confused: I've followed the guide's but cannot determine if they are natural White with a slight rose blush or have been enhanced. They are silk strung that takes up much of the hole so what little I can see into the drill hole I do not see any evidence of dye. Short of an expensive certification any suggestions?

Hi Sue,

I'm sure the experts will be along to comment, but it is my understanding that unless you specifically bought them as unpinked/unbleached, you may expect that they were both bleached and pinked, since these are standard practices in the industry and are not even considered to be "treatments" (such as would be disclosed.)

It is my understanding that even Hanadama pearls are bleached and pinked unless specified otherwise. Hanadama does not mean untreated; it refers to a certification by a particular lab in Japan as to the luster, nacre thickness, surface quality etc. of the pearl.

Hi Pearl Dreams and Sue,

Pearl Dreams, I agree with you. I haven't heard that the Hanadama grade has anything to do with not being bleached and pinked. Few people will be interested in the distinction. It's mostly for geeks like us here :) So, Sue, there is nothing wrong with your pearls, and they haven't been sold to you under false pretence.

- Karin

Sue H,

Welcome, I'm not clear if you have Hanadama certificates for the 2 strands you purchased. As Karin and Pearl Dreams have mentioned, bleaching and pinking are usual and customary as standard industry practice for Akoya. You would not see evidence of dye on the pearls.

Thank U all for the quick replies:cool: Just to be clear I wasn't concerned that what I have was sold to me under false pretense. As I never and still don't questioned the quality or price it paid, lol. I don't think in the early 90's before the virus anyone ever thought about if it was bleached or pinked only the Quality & Grade. However today it seems to be an issue as to value if they were bought today at what they were valued at 19 years ago. And if mine would still be valued at the same Quality level/grading as the demand for quality pearls has dropped due to market being flooded with decent chinese pearls.

Hi Pearl Dreams and Sue,

Pearl Dreams, I agree with you. I haven't heard that the Hanadama grade has anything to do with not being bleached and pinked. Few people will be interested in the distinction. It's mostly for geeks like us here :) So, Sue, there is nothing wrong with your pearls, and they haven't been sold to you under false pretence.

- Karin

Thank U Karen, As I just posted I wasn't concerned about being decieved from who I purchased them from. I don't think Bleaching or Pinking was ever mentioned for athenticating value or grade back then, as you all have mentioned it would have been the standard. I do not have any certificate to the contray as purchasing them from a dealer/personal friend I never questioned what I was purchasing so I never request it. Only the appraisal which at the moment I can't locate and do not remember if it mention's it or not only the replacement value that was set on them. So my real question is would they still be valued the same in todays market if they were Bleached/Pinked or has the grading standards for treated lowered the standards today thus effecting a lessor quality value than was back in the 90's :confused:

Most pearls do not keep their replacement value, which is what insurance is geared to cover. You will never get the replacement value if you were to sell. About the only place you can sell is through an auction site like eBay. You can take them to a local auction if you have Bonham's or the like in your town. They evaluated my MiL's estate . She had several good quality akoya pearl ropes 30-40" long and the estimate for selling them was about $1000.00 each.

Bleaching and pinking are standard for akoyas of any value and it is difficult to get a strand without bleaching and pinking. That is not a factor. While it is true, it has nothing to do with today's sales. The older akoya ropes tended to have more nacre and today, there are lots of cheap akoyas, but you hopefully get what you pay for.

Expect to get about 25% of their sale value should a jeweler take them, which is highly unlikely. Most pawn shops won't touch them. Pearls, except for the most important ones, don't keep their value on resale.

I say, feel free to wear them a lot.

Last edited:
PS. Certification only determines the qualities of the pearl and whether they are fresh or salt water pearls. They do not give estimates of value. You know they are akoya, so a cert is useless. An appraiser with a GIA pearls certificate can give you today's value, but you can determine that by looking at finished auctions, such as on eBay or one of the big time physical auction places.

PS. Certification only determines the qualities of the pearl and whether they are fresh or salt water pearls. They do not give estimates of value. You know they are akoya, so a cert is useless. An appraiser with a GIA pearls certificate can give you today's value, but you can determine that by looking at finished auctions, such as on eBay or one of the big time physical auction places.

Only stated about the certificate because someone asked if I had one. I don't plan on selling them but my curiousity got the better of me as I DID check eBay which I might add is not a good indicator for price by even what they claim to be auctioning. I'm sure the big Auction house's wouldn't touch this level of necklace as you mentioned and I've noticed good quality pearls AAA do not seem to have any value unless they are extordinay or from a name retailer. They do not pay to have them GIA'd But thank you all for your imput. It's really a shame I've talked to some jewelers on 47th st w/o showing them and they have said that Pearls are just not in demand and the lower quality market is driving the prices down on what was once considered top quality 19 years ago.
Thanks again for your imput, I will enjoy them, although I have several but these are special as I bought them for my mom.

You have to look at the completed sales. You find it all the way down in the right hand column. That is what second hand akoya go for in the marketplace, not what was asked, which is often way over what people will pay.

I don't understand a word of what the 47th street pearl dealers are saying.

The internet is what has totally undercut their sales. All of those merchants' pearls were obtained with several intermediaries at the wholesale and import levels so they can't compete with the sales model that goes to China and builds relationships with Chinese processors and brings the pearls back with no other steps in between. That level of buyer on 47th st is also unable to get the top quality pearls. They get what is left after the direct sales people leave China with the best of the best. They are selling fossil pearls, so to speak.

You have to look at the completed sales. You find it all the way down in the right hand column. That is what second hand akoya go for in the marketplace, not what was asked, which is often way over what people will pay.

I don't understand a word of what the 47th street pearl dealers are saying.

The internet is what has totally undercut their sales. All of those merchants' pearls were obtained with several intermediaries at the wholesale and import levels so they can't compete with the sales model that goes to China and builds relationships with Chinese processors and brings the pearls back with no other steps in between. That level of buyer on 47th st is also unable to get the top quality pearls. They get what is left after the direct sales people leave China with the best of the best. They are selling fossil pearls, so to speak.

Well were almost saying the same thing;) with the exception of China being the standard of Quality pearls as I was referring to Japanese Akoya. ebay has killed almost every market especially now with very few bidder to drive the prices up, I have friends who made a bundle in the hayday and now their lucky if they cover their costs and most are now selling at buy it now with far and few completed sales. And yes, the internet has flooded the market with Chinese Akoya's and althought they have now mastered the culturing of Pearls they still are not Japan salt water. As a far a 47th st that too is correct as they have had to compete with the internet for business so they have lowered what they are carring. However I was refering to the importers who buy directly from the farms/rep's personally or with their own buyers, who then supply 47th st and not the local wholesalers or retail sellers. OK so we are on the same page,lol. Just disappointing that my Pearls are worth so little even if I were to purchase them today. Thanks again & best wishes for a Happy Holidays.

Just disappointing that my Pearls are worth so little even if I were to purchase them today.

If you were to buy your pearls in a retail store today, they would still be pricey if they are top quality. But you could buy similar quality akoya pearls for much less by buying them from an online vendor-- I do not mean eBay sellers but the large online vendors. They save by buying at the source, and without the middle men they can pass on savings to buyers.

It's the resale value of pearls that is so low. Which is why we urge folks to wear their pearls, not sell them.

If you were to buy your pearls in a retail store today, they would still be pricey if they are top quality. But you could buy similar quality akoya pearls for much less by buying them from an online vendor-- I do not mean eBay sellers but the large online vendors. They save by buying at the source, and without the middle men they can pass on savings to buyers.

It's the resale value of pearls that is so low. Which is why we urge folks to wear their pearls, not sell them.

Well, I guess it's like when you buy a new car and drive it out of the showroom it lose's 50% of it's value, lol
I would think though with Pem's (PEarls are still considered a Gem) taking in consideration inflation they would still be worth 50% of todays retail if they were in prestin condition. Guess not:( OK well all that being said I guess there value wouldn't matter if they are Bleached/Pinked or not. Thanks for everyone's imput

Thank you Sue
You have asked a really good question in this thread and I think we are on the same page, too.

The first time I resold my comics as a kid, I was horrified to get 25% of their original value. But the guy sold 2nd hand comics for 1/2 price, so he couldn't pay 1/2 price. Pawn shops are about the same idea or even less for diamonds or Navajo jewelry, for that matter. Most resellers have to use a formula like that to make money.

Thank you Sue
You have asked a really good question in this thread and I think we are on the same page, too.

The first time I resold my comics as a kid, I was horrified to get 25% of their original value. But the guy sold 2nd hand comics for 1/2 price, so he couldn't pay 1/2 price. Pawn shops are about the same idea or even less for diamonds or Navajo jewelry, for that matter. Most resellers have to use a formula like that to make money.

Unforturnately we are in a bad economy, it's an investors or buyers delite with too much supply and too little demand. Not a time to sell anything if you want to get a price unless it's sooooooo rare, there are always collectors for those items. Setting aside pawn/or jewelers they buy penny wieght minus $10- $15 per oz. no gem value, with the exception of high end designer pieces. 47th St is like Death Valley never seen so many estate jewelry as now. Diamonds however is another story large stone's only will return a profit if your purchased them more than 10 years ago. They have increased 200 % so even selling them at wholesale you should get 3x's what you paid unless you paid full retail but you'll still get your cost or even make a small profit. I have so many things from my mom that I don't want to keep or have room for and it's been an education with paying for tuition, lol.
Well, have wonderful Holidays and hopefully a prosperious new year for all.

Back