Golden Plating Nuclear Freshwater Pearl????

LedaM

Community member
I saw a post on ebay with this description... what does "golden plating" mean as far as FWP go? Is it a fancier way of saying "dyed"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-13-17mm-...735179?pt=Fashion_Jewelry&hash=item58b1a88c0b

gold plating.JPG

Who would plate poorly-surfaced pearls with real gold? And would it adhere? I think Pearl Dreams is right. :)

Pearls are non-conductive. They'd need to be treated in copper sulfate or other toxic metals, but electroplating requires submersion into strong acids which would certainly dissolve them.

Probably sprayed or dipped in acrylic or enamel paint.

It reminds me of macaroni art we did in school as kids.

Some of us have seen and purchased the leaves that are are plated. This is the description from the vendor, GODDESS: "We take a hand picked real leaf and hand paint the surface with a copper based paint. Once the natural surface is coated with the copper metal we are able to electro form 24kt gold onto the leaves. The result is a beautiful leaf that is preserved in pure 24KT gold." I've seen acorns and small pinecones done this way, too, so likely pearls can be done.

I have seen the plated pearls listed in a few etsy shops before, too. (Someone I buy gems from occasionally has sold them, but I wasn't interested.)

They're charging $20.28 -- doesn't that mean spray paint...?

Yes, spray paint or dipped ! (rather like the old painted pasta better) :)

Agreed, the old pasta was at least made with love by our grubby little hands or handed to us by grubby little hands by someone we love.

My mother, literally, had my shellacked macaroni art on the wall of her office until she retired.

LOL, LD, you crack me up! I was about to suggest similar service for reknotting your antiquated macaroni jewelry! By the way, I bought an aspen leaf years ago that was treated as Pattey described. It has held up well, albeit it is usually tucked away in the box with the Christmas ornaments.

Back