Fun with color palettes!

Morning again, Dave - got a question. Did you sample the Sea of Cortez pearls as well as the shell, and do they both have the exact same pallette?

And I forgot to say " Congrats!", you Pearly Savants! Applause!

Last edited:
Sea of Cortez pearls

Sea of Cortez pearls

Ok, so this morning I played with a photo of my S of C pearls. Tried to cover and crop out all the white background. I don't have the exact program Dave does, but it was fun to see~

The original pic,
P1010533.jpg

Cropped pic with exposure corrected a bit,
P1010533   crop.jpg

Pixilated pic.

P1010533   crop  pixilate.jpg

Hi Dave, thanks for this fascinating technique.

I've tried it on a vintage Mikimoto brooch, probably circa 1960's to 1970's.
Interesting how Mikimoto colors have changed over the years.
The vintage Mikis certainly have more color than their current fashion for very white pearls.

Photoshop 7 is my graphics program but it doesn't seem to have a function to sort the colors in the palette.
Noticeable how it has picked up the greens, which I hadn't seen.

Mikipalette2.jpg

So I downloaded GIMP, here's the result:

Mikipalette2 copy.jpg

Will be interested in your comments, and how the result compares with the graphics program you're using.

If you want to try running the files through your program, here's a link:

http://www.theholygrail.com/images/miki-palette.jpg

Ok, so this morning I played with a photo of my S of C pearls. Tried to cover and crop out all the white background. I don't have the exact program Dave does, but it was fun to see~

This is what I got from your image. Although the pearls are lighter than the mosaic created from the shell, it's still quite colorful!

Attachments

• palette_soc.jpg
    palette_soc.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi Dave, thanks for this fascinating technique.

I've tried it on a vintage Mikimoto brooch, probably circa 1960's to 1970's.
Interesting how Mikimoto colors have changed over the years.
The vintage Mikis certainly have more color than their current fashion for very white pearls.

Photoshop 7 is my graphics program but it doesn't seem to have a function to sort the colors in the palette.
Noticeable how it has picked up the greens, which I hadn't seen.

Terrific job on these!

The first image from Photoshop seems to be "palette order", which are color pixels are shown from greatest to least frequency.

The image from GIMP appears to list by source luminescence. Even though they are slightly different layouts, you can see an overall similarity.

Also, green overtones (however slight) in most akoyas is commonplace. You did well to capture it.

This is what I got:

akoya_palette.jpg

Thanks Dave, which graphics program are you using?

Let's try these in side by side profiles.

color_palette_black.jpg

Two SoC and a Tahitian.

color_palette_fwp.jpg

Chinese FWP, Kasumi, Edison.

palette_untreated.jpg

kiwipaul's akoyas and my mussels. Interesting match here. In this case, not by species. Knowing my exemplars are natural, this match could suggest no post-harvest treatment of the akoyas. If they were "pinked", like the dyed black akoyas, we'd likely see fewer variations. As is the case with the Miki's, which were almost assuredly bleached.

What you're doing and posting for us - marvelous!

For the first row pallette, left to right - Sea of Cortez shell, Sea of Cortez pearls, then Tahitian, correct?

Thanks Dave. :)Yes, I remembered the turquoise in the shell. That's one glorious shell...:p

Last edited:
Hi Dave, very interesting outcome on the vintage Mikis.

I wonder if you'd care to run your magic over the necklaces and enhancers in my "Show us your Mikimotos" thread here: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8158

The source pics are on the following links:

www.gojobs.co.nz/pics/Show1a.jpg
www.gojobs.co.nz/pics/Show2a.jpg
www.gojobs.co.nz/pics/Mikimoto_Choker1.jpg
www.gojobs.co.nz/pics/Mikimoto_Choker2.jpg

I suspect we'll see that Mikimoto were not treating / bleaching their pearls at that time.
I think that in the 50's to 60's the fashion was for creamy pearls with slightly greenish overtones.
Then in the 70's to 80's fashion moved to whiter pearls with pink overtones.
Mikimoto were probably able to achieve these colors by selection, and control of the growth period.

Now bright white is the fashion and presumably they're treating / bleaching them.

However as has been pointed out previously the current bright white doesn't suit all skin tones, and the vintage cultured pearls can suit some people much better.

The other thing I'd love to see is a comparison of color palettes of vintage Mikis against a string of quality Naturals.
Here's links to hi-res pics of our naturals if you're interested in using those:

www.gojobs.co.nz/images/natural1.jpg
www.gojobs.co.nz/images/natural2.jpg

Last edited:
Could we please :eek:'sticky' this thread? For those of us with memory (ahem) 'moments'?:eek:

Kiwi, what would you think of clumping your naturals together and taking another photo? so Dave could get more samples without having to worry about the shadows and the background? He makes a mosaic/sampling, so nothing would be lost.

I bet this becomes an adjunct section to labs (gleeful prediction). This could be a budding career...

Last edited:
"Knowing my exemplars are natural, this match could suggest no post-harvest treatment of the akoyas. If they were "pinked", like the dyed black akoyas, we'd likely see fewer variations. "

Wouldn't another possibility be as many variations, but a color shift - toward a more pink version of the same colors? You know, similar to the effects you get when you 'cool' or 'warm' the tint of a photo in computer editing.

Hi Lisa, yes I'll clump together the naturals, and also the different mikis, to make the original composites easier.

However they're in the secure facility, so I'll have to go and get them first.

Back