Freshwater cultured versus saltwater cultured pearls

wnorm

Hi. I'm a newbie with pearls. I generally used regular-cut semi-precious stones. I have a small home-based jewelry business. I'm planning to make some nice pearl stud earrings with 14 kt. gold posts. I have a Quebec tax number so I can purchase wholesale. There are few suppliers in Canada. I want good lustre and a round shape. I need half-drilled pearls of ~8 or more mm in diameter. Grade A would be great.Should I go freshwater or saltwater? I don't want to spend a lot. I won't make any profit. Also, I don't know what sort of duty I'll have to pay when I bring the pearls in. Canada Customs was not very upfront with info when I contacted them. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also is hypo-cement the best for gluing the pearls to the posts?
Thank-you

Hi and welcome
You probably want AAA if you are planning 14ct as A are low grade.
You should be able to check the duty and any purchase tax rates with the proper code, which for temp strung and loose pearls is 717101.

Hi and Welcome. I would go with freshwater pearls because you can get better quality for the same $$$. AAA will get you very round ones. However, I personally like the button shapes very much and they don't usually make the AAA grade because of their shape, even though the luster can be as excellent. IMO, the slightly flattened shape will allow a larger diameter pearl without sticking out too far or weighing down the earlobe as much as the equivalent round.

And yes, hypo cement is good. I use something called GS hypo (the brand name is GS), which is often used by the pros.

Hi again...I knew I had missed something|! I would not use GS Hypo - it stays flexible. We use clear expoxy and haven't lost an earring yet
As an aside, made in China studs sometimes use really kack adhesives, I've sometimes been able to twist the pearl off with my fingers!

Freshwaters don't seem to maintain their luster the way Akoyas do. Depending on your clientele, they may only respond to the name Akoya. Lots to think about.

Last edited:
I don't agree about freshwater luster. If you buy lustrous pearls in the first place, they keep their luster. It is rarely as strong a luster as akoyas, but it does last as long - longer under many circumstances, without losing luster. I am restringing my first lavender freshadamas from Jeremy- (when was that, any way? 2005-6, maybe) and they still look like freshadamas. And I have even sweated in them, but I wash them as needed. I just won't let them sit out in the sun all day long, they will lose color under too much sun, but not luster. My metallic white freshwaters have a luster as bright as akoyas, and have not lust a shred of luster either.

If this boosts your confidence in freshwaters, I am remembering the time I wore a freshwater bracelet of beading quality but great luster, to test out Power Pro beading thread for a year never taking it off. I wore it in the shower, for doing dishes, laundry, gardening, everything, for 24/7 for a year. It came out more lustrous after a year. The photos are somewhere on the forum.

Start with good luster and you'll keep good luster. Heck, if luster wore off, (under ordinary circumstances) the big time sellers here and like Honora would be in a heap of trouble after a few years. Probably not too many people ever wear freshwaters as intensely as I wore that bracelet, so do not making losing luster a factor in your decision.

If this boosts your confidence in freshwaters, I am remembering the time I wore a freshwater bracelet of beading quality but great luster, to test out Power Pro beading thread for a year never taking it off. I wore it in the shower, for doing dishes, laundry, gardening, everything, for 24/7 for a year. It came out more lustrous after a year. The photos are somewhere on the forum.

I found the thread, Caitlin-- it's "The Silk Challenge" with before-and-after photos of your bracelet. Very convincing!

Link to that thread: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2336

Wondering if the idea that "luster of freshwater pearls fades after a few years" isn't a myth promoted by those that sell Akoya. Seems I've heard it now and then over the years. My experience with freshwater pearls, has been that there is no loss of luster with proper care.

About the only loss of luster I have seen is that every year the newly cultured freshwaters get more lustrous than the year before-and that makes the old ones look less lustrous, (LOL)! I mentioned a white 62" rope in that thread. I still have it and it looks identical. Well, you know I can get cranky- and I would certainly get cranky about it if my freshwaters faded. I would be sure to let people know about it -along with those thin-nacred akoyas, I sometimes mention....

A few years ago, a lot of freshwaters were over-treated and lost what little luster they had in a short time. These days I don't see so much over-treatment.

Yes, Caitlin, Jeremy posted this about it:

Maeshori has a lot of meanings now. It is a Japanese word that literally means before (mae) treatment (shori). It is a treatment used on all akoya, freshwater and some South Sea. Maeshori treatments vary from factory to factory, but Karin is more or less correct in what it does. It tightens the nacre and pulls moisture out, which will enhance the luster but also make the nacre more brittle. In freshwater, pearls that have been over-treated will turn chalky in short order.

Maeshori with South Sea pearls is a very common treatment in Japan. It makes the pearls whiter, brighter, and more salable. It isn't a necessary treatment, in my opinion. Joseph Taylor from Atlas does sell his treated, and his pearls are beautiful. Other producers, like Kakuda growing in Indonesia, universally treat their South Sea, but they also disclose the maeshori.

(link for the above post: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4788&p=77304#post77304)

Thank-you everyone for your helpful hints. I'm going to look for high quality Freshwater button pearls to make the studs.I'm going to try clear epoxy. What brand is best? Is most epoxy a 2 step glue? Also, I need to find a good trust-worthy wholesale supplier.Any names would be appreciated. Since there supposedly is no duty I can buy from anywhere. Do you suggest buying from the U.S. or the Orient. I really don't know anything about importing pearls. Thank-you again.
Best wishes

Thank-you everyone for your helpful hints. I'm going to look for high quality Freshwater button pearls to make the studs.I'm going to try clear epoxy. What brand is best? Is most epoxy a 2 step glue? Also, I need to find a good trust-worthy wholesale supplier.Any names would be appreciated. Since there supposedly is no duty I can buy from anywhere. Do you suggest buying from the U.S. or the Orient. I really don't know anything about importing pearls. Thank-you again.
Best wishes

If it were me, I would be less concerned with buying wholesale and more concerned about buying the best quality pearls I could afford from a trusted source. The vendors frequenting this forum know their pearls, and most of them sell loose pearls at unbelievably low and affordable prices. Please keep us posted and show us your finished studs ~ we love pictures!

If you are only going to buy two buttons pearls then there is little reason to start worrying about wholesale (you don't cross my spend threshold for eg) And customs aren't going to rush around for such a low value import either - unless the threshold for payments is even lower than in the UK you won't have a high enough value import for anything to be payable. (http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/93_26_52_88/products_id/3430) (not a plug - given as a reality check)

Wendy-Those are great buttons, full of luster. You bought them in Hong Kong, I presume? They look hand picked. I might even order a couple, myself. You probably do sell them loose? (oh, I see they are loose)
(My fashionista daughter, Zoe, says studs are in, judging by who is wearing them.)
wnorm, do you need your earring pearls already half drilled? Sometimes people recommend Strachura (sp)for findings and pearls. They often aren't the cheapest, but if you find what you want there, they will be a reliable source. I just found some good half drill button pearls there, very affordable price. http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/white-button-half-drilled-freshwater-pearls.html

Thank-you so much for your help. I don't only want to buy 2 pieces. I purchase thousands of dollars of findings each year. However, I usually use silver or gold vermeil and lower-priced semi-precious and fw pearls. I would like to expand with a higher quality line. I will definitely check out Strachua. Thank-you!!!!!!!

Back