Fred Ward on round Chinese freshwaters

Monty Hall

On pp. 46-47 of his book, _Pearls_, Fred Ward says,

"I confirmed that the Chinese are nucleating mussels with their own tissue-cultured freshwater pearls, which result in all-nacre round or almost round pearls. Aiming for an even higher percentage of rounds, the Chinese are reshaping some reject freshwater pearls, then nucleating mussels with them....
. . .
Chinese rounds are typically shell-bead or pearl-bead nucleated.... Off-round pearls are still produced by tissue nucleation."

In the caption on page 39 of the same book, regarding Chinese freshwater pearls, Ward says, "Investigation shows they are usually nucleated with shell beads or small pearls".

I've heard just the opposite from reputable pearl industry people who say that bead-nucleated freshwaters would cost way more than tissue-nucleated ones, and that the former are by far the minority.

Did Ward do insufficient research? :confused:

CarolK

I think you are quoting from his 1998 edition. His most recent edition, to my knowledge, was published in 2002. After Ward's and Matlins' statements regarding the bead nucleating of FWCP, the GIA did a study to investigate these claims. The following is a quote from the Summer 2000; Volume XXXVl "Gems & Gemology", page 98;
"...... For this study, X-radiographs of approximately 41,000 Chinese freshwater cultured pearls from dozens of farms were examined, and 10 samples were sectioned. All showed evidence of mantle tissue nucleation only; the presence of a bead, whether shell or a tissue-nucleated FWCP, would be identifiable by distinctive features seen in the X-radiograph."

About two years ago, this same subject was debated on this forum. I'm not sure where it is but if you do a search, you'll probably find it. In my opinion, it was one of the best discussions held on P-G. I don't know if all the posts will be there, since ZE was an active participant.

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward got it wrong. So did Matlins and a few others.

I believe a lot of his evidence and the evidence of a few others at the time, came from pearls with peeling nacre. If nacre peels or comes apart at a conchioline layer, it appears as though there is a pearl in a pearl.

Their theory of pearl-nucleated pearls was proven wrong by Tom Moses (and I believe Ken Scarratt) at the New York GIA lab a few years ago with the help of Honora pearl.

After Ward's and Matlins' statements regarding the bead nucleating of FWCP, the GIA did a study to investigate these claims. The following is a quote from the Summer 2000; Volume XXXVl "Gems & Gemology", page 98;
"...... For this study, X-radiographs of approximately 41,000 Chinese freshwater cultured pearls from dozens of farms were examined, and 10 samples were sectioned. All showed evidence of mantle tissue nucleation only; the presence of a bead, whether shell or a tissue-nucleated FWCP, would be identifiable by distinctive features seen in the X-radiograph."

About two years ago, this same subject was debated on this forum. I'm not sure where it is but if you do a search, you'll probably find it. In my opinion, it was one of the best discussions held on P-G.

Thank you for the citation of the GIA study, Gail! I tried to find P-G posts which specifically addressed Ward's remarks, but failed to find what had I hoped for.

I wanted to find a post saying, "Ward was wrong.", and information about definitive studies disproving his statements. You and Jeremy provided those today, and I'm relieved.

Thanks!
CarolK

Most of the pearls in China are still tissue-cultured. Some are very round.

Bead-nucleated Pearls will become more popular. Generally they are fireball. There are now small quantity of almost round or round Bead-nucleated Pearls, but most of them are smaller than 10 mm. They are not cheap. The large round Bead-nucleated pearls are very expansive. One farmer has told me that he has sold one piece with a diameter of 20,5 mm and very good quality for a price ca. 50 K US dollars.

Pearls are also used as bead, but only in small quantity and in very few farmers. One company has 2 patents in this area and began to test this method 10 years ago. The main cause is that normal beads are more cheap than pearls.

I bought some roundish to baroque 10-11mm, and smaller drops (maybe 9x11mm). I'd been told they were bead nucleated, but as I hadn't read anything about them wasn't 100% sure until I whacked a couple with a hammer (it took a lot of whacks). Bead nucleus in the two I cracked open were both 6mm, appeared to be shell.
They come in white, lavender shades and pink shades. I haven't yet seen any that were perfectly smooth. Luster is a more soft glow that the regular freshwaters.
Cathy

I haven't smashed open any of my bead nukes to date. I have had strands of white, and of multicoloureds (in the normal FW range). The smaller white bead nucleated strands that I've had do exhibit the softer glow like SSP's. The larger ones (up to 19.5mm) are almost metallic - both the whites and the multicoloureds.

I wore a strand to a SSP wholesaler the other day, who couldn't initially believe they were FW!

Please don't smash any good ones lol. I pick out the ones with blemishes, they're the ones that get the chop.
My supplier told me that in China they're calling them Chinese South Sea Freshwater Pearls, but I renamed mine Moonglow. Just felt more comfortable with it.
Oh and if I'm not making sense, I have a fever and may be delerious lol

Please don't smash any good ones lol.

no Cathy, I won't smash the good ones. I did smash one that was being sold to me as "probably nucleus" in China but I had my doubts... I was right - layers of nacre over more layers of nacre.

Hope you get better soon!

Strack says regarding the production of Chinese freshwater nucleated pearls;

?The systematic production of freshwater pearls with a nucleus started in 1985,?

?The nuclei are mainly produced using Chinese freshwater mother-of-pearl, they come from Hunan and Jiangxi Provinces. The same nuclei are sold to Akoya farms. Mother-of-pearl from American shells is only rarely used.?

No mention of pearl nucleated pearls. If there had been, I?m sure Strack would have mentioned it.

I pick out the ones with blemishes, they're the ones that get the chop.
My supplier told me that in China they're calling them Chinese South Sea Freshwater Pearls, but I renamed mine Moonglow. Just felt more comfortable with it.
Oh and if I'm not making sense, I have a fever and may be delerious lol

Hi, Cathybear!

Sorry to hear you are sick! But you are as hilarious as ever, "they're the ones that get the chop".

Moonglow *is* a wonderful, atmospheric, picturesque name--much better than CSSFP--Good Lord!

Hope your fever breaks and that you can enjoy that post-illness weightless feeling soon!
CarolK

Feel better soon, Cathy! I like Moonglow best also---------

Thank you all :eek:)
I got a parcel of pearls today and would love to be getting in to them, but just haven't the energy. I've spent most of the day lying down trying to read a really irritating book. I was afraid to sleep in case I forgot to get Lucas from school.. I still hear from him about the last time i was late heh heh

Cathy
A parcel of pearls is the equivalent of a strong dose of really good cure everything medicine - you will be up and skipping within minutes with such an incentive

Fever can dehydrate you-- be sure to drink lots of fluids! Hope you're better soon.

Back