Fixing a loose nucleus.

J Marcus

The post by Sleight under Tahitian Pearls--Stinky Pearl Dilemma-- reminded me of something I found a solution to when I was assembling the crab bolo with the tahitian pearl tips. I was half-drilling one of the tahitians when--wouldn't you know it--the drill hit a loose nucleus (fortunately without the "black gold" or "pepe") and the nucleus began to spin, effectively putting an end to the drilling.

Bill and I talked it over and came to the conclusion that, especially since the pearl was to be secured by the post and glue method, it might be solved through the application of the very thin, watery type of cyanoacrylate (super) glue. I put a drop of the glue on a polyethylene surface and used a pin to carry it to and work it into the drill hole.

After about three fast applications I got enough into it and put it aside to harden thoroughly. When dry, I went back to drilling and it went perfectly. We're probably not the first to come up with this solution but it sure did work so I thought I'd share it.

------------------
Marc
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, except I was thinking of using epoxy. But it's so thick - I can't think of how to get it down into the drill hole. So thanks for sharing about your use of super glue. I might try it...

That would work. But then there are the issues of disclosure. It would need to be disclosed upon sale just like a vehicle report is imprtant when purchasing a used car.

If the pearl was ever soaked for cleaning purposes or to disassemble and create a new piece, the nucleus may shift again.

Well, yes, Jeremy. That is an important point. My thinking was that in the case where we used it, since we were already introducing a glue into the pearl to secure it to the post it would be a moot point.

The use of glue to afix a pearl to jewelry seems to be simply assumed as obvious, if thought of at all, and as far as I know is never deemed important as a thing to disclose to the custormer. However, in thinking about your comment, because of the loose nucleus. perhaps it's not in at least this case.

If the pearl were soaked with a solvent to remove it from the post, then it is possible that it might cause the nucleus to loosen and that could be a problem. In any case, full disclosure is the best and proper course.

I'm still wondering about what the best way and the extent for whidh disclosure is warrented. By this I mean that it seems to me that when we tell the customer that we are selling them a cultured pearl, that statement can sometimes cover a lot of ground. So many cultured pearls undergo a number of treatments including such things as bleaching, dying, tumbling and probably processes that I don't even know about.

When we sell pearls that have been color enhanced in any way we are always careful to provide that information to the customer. However, I've never known of anyone to tell the customer that they may have been bleached or tumble polished or much of anything else involved in processing cultured pearls.

I would be interested in seeing your opinion about this.

--------------------

Marc

If you started to spell out everything about everything (what grade of solder used, was the silver ethical...) it might never end
It would be a very unusual customer who wanted that sort of info anyway, let alone remember it if you told them verbally (then there would be the court case as you argued about who told what to whom...) or you would have to draw up sheets of data about every item sold.....
doesn't happen with other jewellery. Can we avoid it with pearls please, it is too early in the morning here to think about the logistics of such a system developing.....

Well, yes, Jeremy. That is an important point. My thinking was that in the case where we used it, since we were already introducing a glue into the pearl to secure it to the post it would be a moot point. The use of glue to affix a pearl to jewelry seems to be simply assumed as obvious, if thought of at all, and as far as I know is never deemed important as a thing to disclose to the customer. However, in thinking about your comment, because of the loose nucleus. perhaps it's not in at least this case. If the pearl were soaked with a solvent to remove it from the post, then it is possible that it might cause the nucleus to loosen and that could be a problem. In any case, full disclosure is the best and proper course. I'm still wondering about what the best way and the extent for which disclosure is warranted. By this I mean that it seems to me that when we tell the customer that we are selling them a cultured pearl, that statement can sometimes cover a lot of ground. So many cultured pearls undergo a number of treatments including such things as bleaching, dying, tumbling and probably processes that I don't even know about. When we sell pearls that have been color enhanced in any way we are always careful to provide that information to the customer. However, I've never known of anyone to tell the customer that they may have been bleached or tumble polished or much of anything else involved in processing cultured pearls. I would be interested in seeing your opinion about this.

My thoughts exactly on the pearl. If it were ever removed the nucleus would likely shift. That would be a problem.

When color is added we always refer to pearls as color-treated. We don't typically refer to our whites as bleached except in discussion. When discussing treatments with customers I think it is important to know and be able to explain everything the pearls have probably gone through.

As a consumer, I think it only fair for merchants to mention anything potentially affecting a jewel's durability.

I think more highly of shop owners who point out weaknesses in antique settings, flaws in stones, bleaching of pearls, and so forth. They seem less likely to fleece me than those who say all their items are all-natural and perfect. I trust those vendors who empower me with information.

Jewel-buying is emotional and personal, rather than "actuarial". People like to know what they're getting into, but will often nonetheless buy something they truly like even if they've been told it has weaknesses.

There's also the danger of the "slippery slope". While literally unrelated ;) to pearl-selling, the 1974 Milgram Experiment (A must-read-about for everyone on 21st Century Earth) illustrates that baby steps in the wrong direction can gradually, imperceptibly, eventually lead us to worse behavior than we thought possible.

Anything short of full disclosure, in any profession, can become a bad habit, which will return to bite us in the heel whilst we nap.

CarolK(sound effects for adult "voices" in Charlie Brown)

Last edited:
If a nucleus breaks loose in one of my pearls it finds the trash.

Seems like if it's jewelry for one's own use, glue away! But agree that if the item is being sold, it diminishes the value and longevity of the pearl.

I have seen applied to gems, a disclaimer about customary treatments.

If a nucleus breaks loose in one of my pearls it finds the trash.

I've looked at quality issues of this nature for many years and find that this approach (trashing something faulty) is far more a matter of choice and a concern for image (hard to tell about this) than a virtue.

If one discloses the fault(s) and then sells an item at a price reflecting it's reduced value than I see no ethical concern with selling an item that is less than perfect. After all, I'm sure that every vender who takes part in this forum sells pearls that are less than perfect. Where one draws the line for the quality that one will sell varies and is the choice of the individual vendor.

If the flaw is such that it will not cause the pearl to be damaged or degrade it's appearance in everyday use, past that at the time of it's sale and the price reflects the cost of replacing the pearl (after a sufficient period of use) should it have to be removed and the nucleus shift, then I see no reason why a customer who would like to have such a pearl that gives them the same appearance at a reduced price should not be allowed to purchase it.

I believe the true, ethical line should be drawn at the point where fraud is commited at any level. American as I am, I must ask the question: Isn't the practice of not allowing persons to purchase something that they desire to buy, knowing full well it's faults, at a savings in cost, just a bit elitist? Generally I feel that we, as aware and informed consumers, do not need to be saved from ourselves.

----------------------
Marc

Back