Crabby Delight

J Marcus

Bill Lynch of Fairhaven Gold in Bellingham just loves crabbing! The crabbing he does on Puget Sound involves the Dungeness variety. (...to differentiate it from the crabbing he does in the shop. . .) After thinking about it for a lo-o-o-ng time, he finally commissioned a spectacular wax carving by Alan Heugh. The result was spectacular! He cast it in 14K and wears it daily as a bolo tie with gold shell tips. We put our heads together and he worked over one of the waxes (...of course he made a mold!!!) to accept inlay and then we did a little something extra for the tips... a pair of 8.5mm circle Tahitians! I cut a piece of the now-almost-unabtainable, Utah, fossil, horn coral in a very dungeness-looking red for the back and here is the result of our efforts!

------------------
Marc
http:www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Attachments

• CrabCoralBolo-4.jpg
    CrabCoralBolo-4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 38
  • CrabOnlyCoralBolo-5.jpg
    CrabOnlyCoralBolo-5.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 38
  • CrabBoloCoralTips-7.jpg
    CrabBoloCoralTips-7.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 40
That is darn cool. Very nice use of colors and materials. Manly use of pearls too. ;)

Marc,

What a fun piece! The colors of of the coral and Tahitians compliment each other so beautifully, and the texturing on the crab looks wonderful! Kudos to all of you!!

Very nice! And I love the shell detail of the tips holding the pearls. I agree - the bolo tie should be the next fashion trend!

WOW. The entire piece from concept to completion is perfect -- and FUN! Great job. :cool:

Hey Marcus:
You never stop amazing me! That is gorgeous. And it's big. That crab makes those 8.5mm tahitians look small, and they ain't! Beautiful workmanship. Love the "almost unobtainable...coral". Perfect.
barbie:)

Aw-w-w Shucks--What a complimentary bunch to be found here!:D Thanks for all the kind words! (Do you think I should tell Bill and Alan? It might give them swelled heads. . .:p of course--I'm immune to such tawdry reactions. . .:cool: )

Marc
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Compliments Marc to you and Bill and Alan! It?s a lovely bolero tip.

The background info and innovation of this piece is what makes it so lovely and cute

Since this is an old sea creature thread I thought I'd revive with some new life:
Parulina
Parilina.jpg

Octo Loves her pearl :). Really beautiful!
Wish I knew what happened to J Marcus He was wonderfully creative and knowledgeable.

I've always liked cephalopods but thanks to Sheri I pay even more attention to jewelry with that type of theme.

Oh wow !!! Now that's my kind of Octopus ring !!! How wonderful !!

Back