Loose nucleus?

waimeamomi

Natural Pearl
I was stringing the Tahitians I got for a client, and came to a pearl that rattles. The needle wouldn't go through (although it was on a string originally) and I'm guessing this is a loose nucleus. What does this mean? How does this happen, and can anything be done? Do they come loose, or was it most likely that way when I got it? :confused: I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it and whether I need to be in touch with the selling company. I did read in the stinky thread about ways to repair one and the ethics involved. It's very pretty, and if I can't sell it, I'd keep it and do something with it myself.
Thanks for the help!

Hi Sheryl,

Bummer, I think the problem was pretty well covered, with solutions for gluing, etc. Doubt any pearls come with warranties to cover loose nuclei--but if it happened often from the same source--I'd probably wonder what kind of nuclei was being used.

Hi Sheryl and Pattye,
I think it can happen with any type of nuclei unfortunately. Sheryl, try thinking of it like a Chinese puzzle. Stick a needle in it and rotate it slowly until you eventually find the hole. Hours of fun!

Back