First Beading Project Ever

Raisondetre

OK, it's only temporarily strung because my clasps haven't come, and I don't have enough spacers to keep the pearls from rubbing against the lampwork beads, but since I cut the hanks apart I had to string it temporarily to prevent everything from getting lost. It's about 15" unknotted, will increase as I will be adding larger gold-filled stardust spacers bigger than the ones I'm using to buffer the pearls from the sputniks (you can't really see it in the photos). I will be adding gold-filled beads at the ends of the actual finished strand. I think I will only knot between the small spacers and the pearls ... the lampwork beads have huge holes.

Not very happy with the 10-11mm pearls ... pretty pitted and blemished but since this is a beading project and luster is good I'll let it go.

Work in progress, stay tuned!

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Raison----Three Cheers!!!

A beautiful and complex project underway! Good for you! The pearls look very lusterous-the lampwork beads are beautiful, and I look forward to seeing the finished project--modeled, of course!

One bite already! That's quick. I just hope the clasps don't get lost in the mail. They're only 8mm magnetic, so I hope it holds. I can always restring and up it to 10mm, closer to the size of the pearls and lampwork beads later on. It's not easy getting everything through the needle, that's for sure! I am impressed at the tiny tiny pearl drillholes.

Being a pearl lover it's always hard to decide whether I should slip yet another pearl in somewhere, or just leave it for the sake of symmetry. It was killing me not to add somemore ... I think I will end up adding two more pearls to each end, spaced by 4mm stardust beads.

being a pearl lover it's always hard to decide whether I should slip yet another pearl in somewhere

I know! ;) To me, it seems to have a very nice balance of elements like it is-------------but that's the coolest part, we do have the ability to revise it---------

The colors are wonderful! And look at that beautiful, clean, beadboard! Won't last long! Tell us what you are using to make this work of art!

How come everyone says my beadboard is clean/neat? LOL

I'm using a strand of white roses/rosebud lampwork beads with pale green leaves, measuring 10-15mm, 10-11mm white freshwater pearls with moderate pitting (don't get me started), 3mm gold-filled bead spacers at the ends and in between stretches of pearls, and 4mm gold-filled stardust bead spacers between sputniks and pearls, plus a 8mm magnetic vermeil ball clasp (to come in the mail) which I suspect will be too small. I'll see how it goes when it comes, might need to buy 10mm ones if it ends up heavy. The smaller clasps just look so dainty.

Now for the beginner's knotting. Hope I make it!

Not very happy with the 10-11mm pearls ... pretty pitted and blemished but since this is a beading project and luster is good I'll let it go.

Well the lustre looks fantastic from here. And flowers/plants always have dimples and pits, so it really works with the necklace's aesthetic.

I know, which is why I haven't bothered with culling. I'm going to give this to my mom when it's finished.

Not sure how other people?s beadboards looks but mine is a complete mess. I use it a bit like a storage container...

In fact, my whole workplace is a mess. Thread, beads, tools, wire absolutely everywhere. It have come to the point where I have trouble finding what I`m looking for!

I`m moving to a bigger apartment soon so I`m going to make one of the rooms into a workroom. Since I`ve started with smithing and currently getting more tools and slowly starting to work with it at home my workplace is going to be an even bigger mess so more space is important so I can spread the mess in a less thick layer across the place.

I can?t even eat at my kitchentable anymore!

It's lovely, but what I like best is that it looks like YOU! The colors are fabulous. ;)

Pretty! :)

DK :)

Pretty, but I suspect you?ll need a heavier clasp to be able to hold this heavy necklace!

My larger gold-filled spacers didn't come, so I started something else. My knots aren't perfect, but it's my first official attempt, so be gentle. I don't think you can see much from here anyways. Not too happy with the start/finish, but I finished with 3 pearls, with a gold-filled spacer between pearl and clasp, buffering the gimp. I think the gimp turned out okay.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

That was the only good pic on macro with the knots and gimp.

I'll be knotting the other strand in a couple days. Hands hurt too much. I'm keeping my day job.

Last edited:
Hi Raisondetre,
Nice work !
Yes, your beading tray is pristine - just wait a couple of months and you'll know what we all mean ! :D
The first necklace is gorgeous colours. I love the pale blue-green with the white pearls.
Your second necklace - nothing wrong with those knots at all ! In fact, they are tons better than many "professionally" strung pearls that I've seen. :)

Pretty, but I suspect you?ll need a heavier clasp to be able to hold this heavy necklace!

The magnetic clasps are freakishly strong! I'm impressed.

Also just bought some digital verniers and I am just appalled by the downsizing. I assume everything is 1mm less than the stated size.

I did cheat and snip off the tip of a bent needle with my trusty Lindstrom.

Last edited:
What have you guys done to me? Hands hurting, I did another one just because. Now I've split the skin on my index fingers ... I am getting faster ...

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

If I combine them I have a 36" rope. Ball clasps rock!

Those strands look like you've been knotting for a long time. Really nice!

What size are your multicolored FWP? I love the outer strand's colors.
Wait...3 to an inch...are they 7.5 mm to 8mm?

Well, it was *supposed* to be 9-10mm, BUT my vernier tells me 8.8-9.6mm. I'm really miffed. I did a test strand at Nerida's, these would be my second/third attempts but I think it is my first official start without guidance. My poor hands!

Back