Fijian Pearls

Justin has invited me out next month to see the harvest while it is taking place. I am considering it although I really need to get to China...

Anyone here want to the the PG envoy out to Fiji to cover the harvest for everyone here? ;)

A little late to the party. The pearls are ssooooooo beautiful.

Are you serious about the an envoy to Fiji. I'll go!!! Considering I am jobless now. :)

Cheers,
ShashiRatna

Am I hearing an envy of pearl fraternity?
For anyone who has not been, I recommend going to Justin's website www.pearlsfiji.com
He has done a beautiful job with it.

Indeed Josh: he has done a great job on the website, but the most important part is the product: ethically produced high-quality pearls.

More than envy, we should have a Fraternity with him...:cool:

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm sure he will change the wording considering he absolutely, positively, guarantees they are natural. And if they are natural ...

WOO HOO BABY!

I don't believe he means NATURAL PEARLS... Justin's are SALTWATER CULTURED PEARLS (if we stick with CIBJO's terms) but I believe that what he means is that his pearls are 100% unprocessed (just like mine) and if he backs his pearl with his name I would take it as a guarantee.

We can all grow beautiful pearls...it is a lot harder, yes, and you do make less money as well, but it sure beats producing lowly pearls that have to be tortured -sorry, I meant "processed"- in order to make them "pleasant looking". There is a sense of PRIDE in it. Is it not so Josh?

I don't believe he means NATURAL PEARLS... Justin's are SALTWATER CULTURED PEARLS (if we stick with CIBJO's terms) but I believe that what he means is that his pearls are 100% unprocessed (just like mine) and if he backs his pearl with his name I would take it as a guarantee.

I am confused. I thought natural color Tahitian pearls are only washed and tumbled. Doug, Cortez pearls are washed and then soaked in oil, w/o tumbling. Is that what you mean by processing (tumbling)? Thanks.

Douglas you soak your pearls in OIL? I'll have to try that:)

I finally spoke with Justin Hunter the other day who I can report as being a very nice guy. We spoke on Skype but we both had to get off to go surfing. All work and no play makes a farmer a dull boy right?

Last edited:
Last edited:
" The shimmering iridescent natural colors of cultured Cortez Pearls are not enhanced in any way. After they are removed from the shell, Cortez Pearls are washed in water, soaked in mineral oil for six hours, and then dried. " (from their web site)

I am a novice so please pardon the ignorance, but I don't understand how soaking something in oil makes it "not enhanced in any way". The only purpose I can think of for the oil IS to enhance the shininess or perhaps durability. I remember snippets of other threads talking about tumbling pearls, or bleaching, or other things. I would consider anything that is not, "we wash the slime off them and that's it" would be considered enhancements or treatments. What am I missing? Is this just a "how to make it sound the best" thing and the use of the word enhanced would be strictly dying or bleaching?

Thanks!
-Carol

"
I am a novice so please pardon the ignorance, but I don't understand how soaking something in oil makes it "not enhanced in any way".

My novice guess is that it might push a bit of water out of the outer layers of the pearl, but I'm sure you'll get an expert answer about the purpose and the official definition of enhancement by the by.

I wouldn't consider waxing natural wood or oiling a carving to be enhancing the underlying material, so by the same turn oiling pearls seems unrelated to the sorts of fundamental alterations I'd personally file under enhancement (dyeing, chemical treatments, etc.) If a soak in oil was all one needed to make a garden variety pearl look one bit more like a Cortez pearl, bet money everyone in the world would do it. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you need the oil to prevent the nacre layers of drying out. They do occur in water naturally. If you moisturise your skin, I don't see it as plastic surgery.

My pearls are first washed in tap water, then we let them sit overnight in mineral oil (to remove all protein residue left on the pearl after the oyster's demise) and finally patted dry with a cotton towel (to remove excess oil).
Simple isn't it? There is no polishing with bamboo chips, nor coarse salt, nothing... the oil is just an efficient remover of protein residue.
We could actually do away with the oil, but the pearl does become clean...and this is not maeshori (pre-processing) which involves allowing the pearls to sit in water for a much more prolonged time.

An enhancement procedure would be a treatment that involves much more time and energy, like tumbling, polishing, bleaching, dying, etc...and to obtain an obviously "enhanced look": if the pearl is dull-make it shiny, if the color is off-make it any other color, want it black?-irradiate it!, etc.

And nothing of the sort takes place with our pearls. It is just a faster way of cleaning the pearls. I does not affect color (do try it Josh!), nor luster, nor anything...this technique is based on Manuel de Osio's system to clean pearls after harvest, although in his days he used the oil released from animal fat.

Ok, I agree...I could just place the pearls in my mouth and slurp :)( ) them like marbles until clean...but I prefer not to. Would this be an "enhancing" procedure? Of course not! It is just common sense.

Finally, there are no harmful by-products...we absolutely do not produce nor release any waste related to coloring (dyes) nor bleaching (bleach) the pearls.

My pearls are first washed in tap water, then we let them sit overnight in mineral oil (to remove all protein residue left on the pearl after the oyster's demise) and finally patted dry with a cotton towel (to remove excess oil).
Simple isn't it? There is no polishing with bamboo chips, nor coarse salt, nothing... the oil is just an efficient remover of protein residue.
We could actually do away with the oil, but the pearl does become clean....

Thanks for the information, Douglas...and what a wonderful tip! When I brought home my Kamokas, straight off the farm, I didn't have the opportunity to have them tumbled, so I used the coarse salt/elbow grease method. The mineral oil method sounds much less labor intensive. Any particular type of oil you use, or is plain old cheapo baby oil acceptable?

Sheri

Although I am certainly not a scientist, I suspect the molecules of oil are much larger than what the layers of nacre are made up of, so the oil would not be absorbed into the pearl itself.

Appreciate the more detailed advice, Douglas. I was thinking it was olive oil!

then we let them sit overnight in mineral oil (to remove all protein residue left on the pearl after the oyster's demise)

Ahhhh!! Thank you, Douglas! That makes complete sense and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Ok, I agree...I could just place the pearls in my mouth and slurp :)( ) them like marbles until clean...but I prefer not to. Would this be an "enhancing" procedure? Of course not! It is just common sense.

I rather enjoy the mental image of handing a classroom full of children some pearls and telling them if they suck long enough on them they'll get clean. :)

Just use regular mineral oil...unscented. Don't care for the "baby fragance" and you don't know what fragrance is used...better not risk it.

I rather enjoy the mental image of handing a classroom full of children some pearls and telling them if they suck long enough on them they'll get clean. :)[/QUOTE]

My daughter Erin once grabbed my wife's pearl necklace and started slurping it...guess she thought it needed a bit of cleaning. Did not allow her to continue for long, but perhaps here I have another experiment on the working table. Never thought my baby daughters could become "guinea pigs" ;)

Appreciate the more detailed advice, Douglas. I was thinking it was olive oil![/QUOTE]

The first oil we tried was Olive oil. But it left a sticky residue behind, guess the organic residue from the oyster's gonad and the oil combined to form something else: crud pudding. In the end it just did not work.

Mineral oil is clean, fast, available and inexpensive.

the organic residue from the oyster's gonad and the oil combined to form something else: crud pudding

This sounds way too much like something that would happen in my kitchen. Or even that kindergarten classroom I was imagining! tehe :p

I rather enjoy the mental image of handing a classroom full of children some pearls and telling them if they suck long enough on them they'll get clean. :)

Everlasting gobsmackers... You can suck 'em and suck 'em and suck 'em, and they'll never get less beautiful.

My daughter Erin once grabbed my wife's pearl necklace and started slurping it...guess she thought it needed a bit of cleaning. Did not allow her to continue for long, but perhaps here I have another experiment on the working table. Never thought my baby daughters could become "guinea pigs" ;)

A few big unprocessed pearls would seem like good teething ring components in theory... slightly gritty, appearance/texture that keeps the attention, natural source. Doubt anyone would vouch for complete chemical-free purity given the state of the world's oceans, but whatever made it into nacre probably wouldn't be worse than what might leech out of commercial plastic rings. The mental image of a tot gnawing on a big ring of low lustre pearls is pretty amusing. :)

Last edited:
Back