Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foldover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lobster Claw

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Mystery

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
What is a butterfly clasp? A bow? knot? A link? The others I know.

I like a clasp with a safety feature. But not fishhooks-- fishhooks are getting harder to manipulate as my fingers age, especially if they are small fishhooks.

Hi everyone!

I voted for the fish hook clasp simply for security reasons. I think I have missed out a bit because my FIRST CHOICE FOR SECURITY would be a lobster clasp, even if they are not that easy to close with clumsy fingers!

Drawback: There are no fish hooks large enough to be comfortably for the fingers as yet, hopefully that will change!

For the look of a clasp: I could think of a lot of other clasp types!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Most of the necklaces I have made lately are pearl and gemstone ropes, and because I LOVE extenders and usually add a minimum of 4 inches of chain, use a lobster claw. I add a gemstone and pearl at the end of the extender, also my 3.5mm logo bead, a little silver triangle "eye"bead.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Ooooooo! We need a close up of your logo bead!

My current favorite is also not on the list, a basket clasp. It allows you to adjust the length as you like and lets the remaining pearls cascade down, can look like a lariat if worn in the front or a classic strand if the pearls cascade down the back.

I add a gemstone and pearl at the end of the extender, also my 3.5mm logo bead, a little silver triangle "eye"bead.

Lessee!!! Lessee!!!

CarolK

I love the look of the bow clasps, so cute! I don't like fish hooks either, way to hard to put on, imo. Ball clasps are a close second though.

Forogt: Toggles are so cute too! I couldn't fathom paying $80 extra for it though (come on, anyone here with me?). Maybe PP would be nice and provide some sterling silver options? :D

Lobsters are also fine too, much better than the fish hooks. I usually have those on my pendant chains.

I seem to have a lot of trouble with the ball clasps, but I like the look of them. Toggles can be very attractive and are easy to use.

I have trouble with fish hook and do better with ball clasp. However, the small ball clasp still gives me some hassles. I've been requesting ball clasp slightly larger than the end pearls. I know, it looks kind of funny, but the larger ones are easier for me to put on (eventhough I don't have arthritis).

I can't vote 'cos it's closed, but my absolute favourite clasp is the mystery clasp.
But I only use them if someone else is doing the stringing....
I use ball clasps a lot because I like them second best when joining necklaces together to wear as ropes.
But I find them tricky to fasten. The tongue always seems to stab my fingers...

I use ball clasps a lot because I like them second best when joining necklaces together to wear as ropes.

Same here. Besides being easier to use than fish hook, I have a few strands and a matching bracelet with the same size ball clasps that I hook together.

I seem to have a lot of trouble with the ball clasps, but I like the look of them. Toggles can be very attractive and are easy to use.

Really? I think the ball clasps are tons easier to use, but I guess it just depends.

I also feel like toggles are more "fun" clasps, like, I didn't even consider getting my white Freshadamas (big investment) with the toggle, because it's too trendy. I wish it were less expensive, because then I could use it as an accent on a bracelet, or inexpensive necklace, or something like that.

You're poll is much interesting for me
I am writing the story of the clasp throught ages, in the same way that I did with the pearl.
You would be very surprised to learn how old the systems are;
It looks like egyptians already invented almost all sytems.

But you would not be surprised to know which one is my favorite ...
and stringing is very easy !

My new favorite:

Ball and socket style locking clasp with a foldover once the ball is in the cage.

It looks like a little trailer ball hitch; just insert and snap it locked. Easy to use, hard to lose. by Hip Chicks Beads LINK

Attachments

• ball & socket clasp.jpg
    ball & socket clasp.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I opened the poll again,. Well, Play Again.

And add a photo if possible

Now how many of those listed clasps are actually fishhook clasps? I know the ball clasp is.

In clasp mechanisms, I am focused on how secure it is. Style is second.

Caitlin,

That is very interesting! I had not seen that kind before. Does it come in different sizes? Do you have the approx size?

Size and price are listed on the link- about 20X8mm ,sterling. Under $6 each. I haven't seen other sizes, but this looks great on my purple bracelet. It is easy to get on and off by myself.

FireMountain has one that's called a Ball & Socket based on the same principle, but it's like $20 bucks!

The favorite clasp I've designed with is the bow. This isn't THE pic, but it was my inspiration for the design which was a half strand of black & clear swarovski bi-cone pendants and a huge, cascading bow clasp which ran dramatically half way down her back and her waist length hair was in an up-do. For my niece for last year's prom.

Attachments

• sm111blackchkrfront.jpg
    sm111blackchkrfront.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 34
Back