• Foldover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lobster Claw

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Mystery

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Hi knotty.
Is that pic in your album? The open looking top on the clothing goes great with the necklace, which is very fashionable.

No, I don't think so. Do I have an album? Duh!

Sure you do. It's on your profile page. Very easy to add pictures to. You could put in both Terry's picture of your necklace and the one above. Did the one at Terry's sell? When can you make some followups?

I always try to go toggle for the medium ones, lobster claw for the cheaper ones and ball for the high end stuff.

I use toggles on almost everything I make, including chain. I just like them, and I know how to attach them. I also think they're interesting to see, but simple and easy to use, and they come in every metal type.

Cliclasp - can't wait for your new story.

I personally LOVE ball clasps - I use them in opera strands, bracelets and ropes to join strands together, and I often randomly place gold or white gold ball beads throughout the strands so as the clasps are disguised...

The $2100 strand of CFWP at Tiffany's that I saw last week had an interesting clasp-- two rings (about 3/4" diameter) that interlock by clicking them together at a narrow point. It added artistry -- I loved the clasp.

As to toggles-- there are toggles and there are toggles! We visited Boston today and stopped in at Iridesse at Copley Place (Tiffany's pearl store)-- lovely strands! One was oval white CFWP separated by several small faceted multicolored tourmaline rondelles, and the clasp was a toggle -- the toggle was a stick pearl and the loop was formed from the thread and tourmalines. Very nice! I also see a lot of toggles on Tiffany's website.

Last edited:
Hi
What I have realized is the most kinds of clasps have a downside. Toggles are no good for klonks unless you add some small ones at the bar end. I have also had them come loose on long strands that weren't wrapped around the neck.

At first I loved the interlocking magnet clasps, but too often the glue holding the magnet in there comes unglued, though it stays stuck to the other magnet. Also too many people have complained that they pop open (especially on bracelets) at inconvenient times. My sis-in-law lost a large baroque pearl bracelet with that kind of clasp. Fortunately it was found.

Fishhook types of clasps are secure, but often too hard to get on by yourself. The little round balls are hard to get hold of let alone getting the hook into the ball correctly. I think that the butterflies and bows are fishhooks? They need to be large enough to grab hold of them

clasps with lockovers are good, but expensive.

Lobster clasps are hard to use when small, though very secure. They have a downscale reputation, but the large ones in precious metals are very classy.

Photos of bow and basket clasp

Photos of bow and basket clasp

I have the bow clasp - which is shown in the first photo. The catch works just like the ball clasp, but with a bow instead of a ball. I do find it slightly easier to use than the ball clasp because there is a little longer area for one hand to hold on to.

Then there is a photo of the basket clasp - open (reminds me of a pac-man). The 3rd photo is the basket clasp closed around a pearl. This allows you to adjust the length of your necklace and you can wrap the basket around any pearl to close it. The remainder of the strand will just cascade nicely.

I also love the toggle, easy to use. But sometimes need to be a little careful so it doesn't fall off.

Attachments

• DSC01121 a.jpg
    DSC01121 a.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01122 a.jpg
    DSC01122 a.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01125 a.jpg
    DSC01125 a.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
That is so cool. Thanks for posting the photos so we can see exactly what you are talking about. ;)

I would like very much to find a pearl of potamilus purpuratus as I know it exists,
but that's not the thread. :p

For bracelet, I still prefer the fish hook, found in jewelry as far as 4000 thousand years ago (in gold of course) see pict. And the loop is formed from the thread with lapis like Pearl dreams noticed previously.

For necklace, one thing to take into consideration is :
does the wearer has short or long hair that might get trapped into the clasp ?
Anyway, I prefer the interchangangeable one, used either as mystery clasp (hidden in one pearl of the strand) or as eye catcher central part of the necklace, can be casual, fancy and so and so. Yes I like it very much.;) specially on keshis

Would it be possible to post much pictures, still want to se some butterfly clasp?

Attachments

• interchangeable_invisible_clasp.jpg
    interchangeable_invisible_clasp.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1040524.jpg
    P1040524.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 40
  • keshi-martele.jpg
    keshi-martele.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 41
  • old-lapis-clasp.jpg
    old-lapis-clasp.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Reiah,
Thanks for the photos.
Now at last I understand what a basket clasp is.
Any info. on where to buy them please ?

Cliclasp I love yours, too.:)

I use different styles, whatever looks best on what I am making..possibly toggles for bracelets as they are easy to fasten.
I got a bit bored wtih simple ball clasps but I just ordered a load more having fallen for them again
I also have a line of gem-set box clasps which are made for me.

Hi Cliclasp
Please do put up more pictures of clasps. Share as much of your research on clasps as you want to

Hi Reiah,
Thanks for the photos.
Now at last I understand what a basket clasp is.
Any info. on where to buy them please ?

Cliclasp I love yours, too.:)
Hi Sueki,

I got my basket clasps from TPO, it was customized with my pearl strand purchases. I don't see the clasp as an option on the website anymore. Not sure if they are out of stock?

I really like Cliclasp - and as soon as I get a large worthy strand, I'm going for it. The other dilemma though, is that when I do get a larger worthy pearl strand, will I be willing to have the pearl drilled a little more?

I also like Carehret's clasp. They look very much like estate jewelry.
LINK to one of her auctions

The open basket clasp reminds me of Octavia ready to grab a pearl.

Caitlin - so true! Basket clasp should be renamed to "Octavia" clasp. :)

Back