Fake, Imitation, Laguna, Faux, Majorica, Majorcan, Swarovski Pearl Photos, Stories

Updating with another shot of 3 more Majorica items:
10mm aubergine studs, silvery blue round strand and huge gold and white baroques.

I love wearing the studs. Even if they are fake! ;)

Attachments

• 3 Majorica items: Aubergine studs, silver:blue rounds, gold and white huge baroques.jpg
    3 Majorica items: Aubergine studs, silver:blue rounds, gold and white huge baroques.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Aubergine Majorica studs 10mm.jpg
    Aubergine Majorica studs 10mm.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 39
  • huge Majorica pearls.jpg
    huge Majorica pearls.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
A few more fun pieces of Majorica brand imitation pearls.

The gold and white are 14mm and 20" long with an inward-opening clasp (like the orbit clasp). It's very comfortable.

The large baroque drop on 4 leather cords/sterling silver findings is something I snagged at T. J. Maxx last spring. I'm wearing it in its most shortened position. The pendant has a large bail and can be worn with other silver chains if I choose, which makes both the pendant and the leather necklace more versatile.

I love my genuine pearls but these are fun, too.

Attachments

• Majorica 14mm gold and white and large baroque on leather.jpg
    Majorica 14mm gold and white and large baroque on leather.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Majorica 14mm gold and white round necklace.jpg
    Majorica 14mm gold and white round necklace.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Majorica large baroque on 4 leather cords.jpg
    Majorica large baroque on 4 leather cords.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Ebay is a good place to look! Retail prices for these are insane, but now and then someone lists a piece that is a real bargain...sometimes even dirt cheap. :)

Those are fun pearls, Pearl Dreams. How does Majorica compare with Swarovski? ..now I need to go pull out my mother's 1950s imitiation pearls!

Swarovksi are inferior in my opinion. The drill holes are messier, for one thing-- see this photo from earlier in the thread.
attachment.php

I think they are heavier, too-- they have a crystal (lead glass) bead. In the larger sizes in particular that might not be as good.

Majorica have many, many coats applied...it varies, but some have over 30 coats, plus the final coating which gives them the pseudo-orient.

That said, Swarovski come in more colors, so if you are going for a particular look, that is a consideration.

Attachments

• 2 Swarovski pearls close up.jpg
    2 Swarovski pearls close up.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 34
I made a Swarovski "tahitian" strand back before I knew what real Tahitians looked like. They do not look like pearls at all, and they felt too smooth, and they are heavy because they are lead crystal. They are basically very nice beads, but they do not look like real pearls.

I have been meaning to post this image of the fakes that I have. I really wish they were real but have to assume there's no way they can be if the clasp isn't at least silver and there are no knots between the pearls. I find it interesting that they are discolored. I thought fakes wouldn't suffer from the same things real pearls are. 20170929_135925.jpg

Oh, yes...they certainly can yellow. My MIL's fake pearls became yellowed and dull.

My grandmother's Richelieu faux pearls have a sterling silver clasp, but the pearls have yellowed horribly over the years. I'll have to find them and post a photo.

Nana's faux pearls on the left and my natural white Hanadamas on the right. OK, it's not a fair fight, is it?

IMG_3677.jpg

I guess I should pretend they are goldens!!! Except they have NO pearl overtones. Very flat looking in person.

Last edited:
A Hanadama strand against a fake strand, hahahaha! That's overkill! ;) :D

... but those hanadamas are gorgeous! :p

These are all Majoricas. I wear them now and then-- even faux pearls can be fun! :D
They're very comfortable. Best of all, they didn't cost a lot (never pay retail for this brand!)

In order:
• 10mm "Tahitian" color round
• white 12mm round choker
• 14mm champagne and white round
• gray 12mm round
• large champagne baroque necklace
• 12mm multicolor round

Attachments

• 10mm Majorica %22Tahitians%22 strand.jpeg
    10mm Majorica %22Tahitians%22 strand.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 12mm Majorica white 16 inch necklace.jpg
    12mm Majorica white 16 inch necklace.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 14mm gold and white Majorica necklace.jpg
    14mm gold and white Majorica necklace.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Majorica gray necklace.jpeg
    Majorica gray necklace.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Majorica baroque champagne small.jpg
    Majorica baroque champagne small.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
  • small neck shot Majorica 12mm multicolor.jpg
    small neck shot Majorica 12mm multicolor.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 36
I was pleased to find that some others have and cherish fake pearls....I have a long strand of very fake (they are not even trying to be real pearls, they are not weighted at all, I think they are just a pearly coating on a probably plastic bead) white pearls that belonged to my great-grandma I never met, hence they are special. I want to restring them and wear them just because they are special, and I remember when I was given them as a 12 year old I thought they were the absolute most beautiful thing in the world and I felt so glamorous wearing them!

Back