Experimenting with knotting materials

Lady_Disdain

I have been experimenting with different knotting materials, to see if I can find any cool effects. Here are two that I liked. These are all inexpensive freshies that I had half a strand here, a few pearls there, so I put them to good use in experimental pieces. The nicer ones will get donated to a woman's shelter or a local charity sale.

P1060767.jpg

The top one was knotted on silicone. The knotting gives it a much more finished look than most silicone bracelets, in my opinion. The pearls seem almost to be floating and there is no need for a clasp, just slip on. My next silicone project will be a tighter choker style. I love chokers but I find them uncomfortable to wear. The stretch of the silicone may be just the thing.

The white pearls were strung on gold plated beadalon. Knotting the wire is pretty unforgiving, as you can see, but I like the little gold dots between the pearls.

How will the silicon hold up over time with knots? I like the idea of the stretchy bracelets, but I'm concerned that I put one on one day, and like old underpants, the stretch will just make that ripppppp sound and the pearls will roll all over the floor.

I kind of like the floating look that the clear knots give. I'm just wondering if silicon will break at the knots over time. As a weaver, one trick for getting thread to break exactly where you want it to break, is to put a knot in it and pull both ends of the thread. It will break at the knot.

Interesting - Like BWeaves I would be concerned about the stretch cord breaking over time...unless you had it at like 18 inches so there wasn't much pull. Does the stretch cord catch your hair like wire can?

The gold wire must have been a bit of a pain..it's slightly stiff isn't it. How does the drape feel on it ? I don't like wire if I can help it as it always seems to pull at the hair on the back of my neck lol

Well done on your experiments !!

Wow! How on earth did you knot that wire?? I really like the look!

Oh I so much like your posts Lady_Disdain. Always something new inside, some interesting twist!

I love your experiments! I've been trying to find a way to "float" pearls too)) didn't manage yet though :D

My only worry would be with the wire breaking over some time due to movements?.. Have you tried polyester thread with gold (lurex?) inserts? Looks similar, but would be a bit stronger to wear?.. Please report in some time how the wire-knotted strand is "behaving" :)

I really love the knots with gold-colored wire. How does the wire affect the drape of the necklace? Is it stiff or supple?

I love the look of the gold knots between the pearls. I also like the look of tiny gold beads between pearls.

I read in one of my pearl books to never use gold beads next to pearls, as they will cause the pearls to turn black.
I have NEVER experienced this problem as long as the beads are real gold.
Now, gold colored beads I've had tarnish, and the black tarnish rubbed off on everything, not just the pearls.

The silicone doesn't really stretch over time, unlike elastic. A lot of stretchy bracelets are made with it. I was remaking some of my aunt's pieces of costume jewelry for her, which included several bracelets like that. They are tied closed with a surgeon's knot, which had held on through some hard usage. Based on those bracelets, what really worries me is that the silicone yellows over time. It seems like it would have to be restrung every once in a few years. And I will report back on the hair issues. I am finishing a necklace right now.

The wire is 19 strand steel, so it is quite strong. Beadalon says it can be knotted, so I just went ahead. It drapes pretty well, even with the small pearls. With larger, heavier pearls, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I haven't tried lurex. I didn't even know it existed ;). Where can I get it?

Thanks! I really didn't know much about silicone and I was wary of it. I'm not good with putting on bracelets one handed if the clasps are fiddly, so the stretchy ones appealed to me, but I didn't want to deal with elastic.

I imagine the natural oils in the hair helps to degrade it. I am trying to remember where I saw some silicone that had been left in something oily and it looked a mess.

That's likely a big factor, yes. Would be interested in seeing that photo. I'm sure skin oils wouldn't degrade as fast as hair, especially if the silicone isn't in direct contact with the skin.

Very cool Beatriz! I really like the look of the floating blue pearls, but I haven't found a wire yet that I can knot as closely and tightly as powerpro or Beader's Secret. I also really like the look of the gold dots between the white pearls. I thought you were going to post you had used Beader's Secret in the sun color, that might provide the same effect.

I started out beading lots of stone and stone/pearl pieces and I thought k I used every wire under the sun ... plus I could open a fishing store with all the Power Pro on my shelves ! I've knotted 49strand after a crimp and pulled the knot into a bead just to ensure a strong hold ( those ropes of stone beads get heavy) . I did try k toting back a few beads as one would with pearls but the knots were too noticeable.

I've never used silicone...I'd be interested to try it .

And a colour question...I e got a strand of mid gold Gold SS Jewelmer pearls that I should knot ...again they have been sitting in a bag for two years and I'd forgotten about them till I stumbled over them while trying to find some other strands .... geeez I need to get organised . What colour beader secret works well with the gold pearls if I want to use something other than white . I used cream on the WSS GSS harvest rope as I preferred it to white ...but I was wondering about a colour . Something that blends a bit ..like the Lilac with the purple pearls . Any suggestions?

Back