Exotics!!!

Pearlcat and Pattye,

Thank you! The pendant was cheepo, that's why I feel specially lucky to have it ;).

I've never been into coins, but yours, Pearlcat, have such an interesting colouring. Have you received them yet, are they really that amazing? And the drop ofcource, is just wonderful :)
Got to start checking Kojima as well, such beautiful items for very decent prices :).

Maria

Sarah is very accurate with her photos. They really do look like that! ;)

Yup -- got 'em today. They are all beautiful but I must say the drop is my absolute favorite -- absolutely gorgeous and totally blemish free. I'll post photos tomorrow. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do with the strands. I would like to make an enhancer from the drop.

Maybe you could find the kind of enhancer finding that enables for you to wear it as a pendant too. Because such an exotic drop would look gorgeous on its own too.

If the coins were mine, I would make a twisted multi-row strand from smaller fw-s or even seeds (4-5mm maybe) and add few coins to every strand. The small pearls would "push the beauty of coins forward". Or maybe I would make a rope of small pearl adding coins in between. The lenght would be such that I could make at least 4-row short twisted necklace with the help of special clasp.

Maria

Yes, I was thinking about combining the coins with some small white fw pearls to make a multi-row necklace. Can't quite decide yet.

The keshis are really interesting -- an interesting combination of lavender, blue, peach, champagne, and ivory. I think a couple of them have a bead nucleus as can be seen on picture 3. Not that it matters because I love them! I'm thinking of combining them with some 4mm laser cut white gold or argentium beads interspersed. These keshis are so interesting, I think keeping them together will make a pearl statement!

As for the drop, I would definitely like to put it on a hanger or enhancer so it could either be hung on a strand or so that I could wear it as a pendant on its own. Below are the pictures to give you an idea. The drop is next to a 6.5mm-7.0mm pink pearl for comparison. Kate

Now, I really must stop buying;)

Attachments

• Keshi 1.jpg
    Keshi 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Keshi 2.jpg
    Keshi 2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Keshi 3.jpg
    Keshi 3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 36
  • Coins 1.jpg
    Coins 1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Coins 2.jpg
    Coins 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 38
  • Drop 1.jpg
    Drop 1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Drop 2.jpg
    Drop 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 38
Wow, you got a great deal on that drop - it's faboo! Love the neck shot - you'll get lots of compliments as well as starting a lot of conversations. Enjoy! ;)

Your drop is Stunning!! Great find - can't wait to see how it looks on an enhancer.

That drop is gorgeous! The color and the luster are fabulous. Congratulations!

I ventured into ebay waters for sellers recommended on here and think these classify as exotics, but not sure.

First the Chinese Kasumi-like natural multi-colored strands:

b023.jpg

b024.jpg

Fireballs or flameballs?:

b018.jpg

b016.jpg

b044.jpg

ooooo pretty -- which seller did you get them from. The middle and bottom pictures definitely look like flameballs to me!

Thanks for the compliments on the drop -- I truly feel I got a bargain! Kate

Hi,

I'm just new to this forum and I was wondering, is someone able to please tell me what a 'flameball' is? Also, by exotics, are you referring to the pearls being 'rare' or an 'exotic colour', or is it in reference to another descriptive term such as 'the orient' used to describe difraction? (Have read the optics post and am more science based so just trying to understand the selling terms?)

I have never heard anyone use these terms before IRL. Thanks!

Flameball is the name some have given to the mis-shaped bead nucleated pearls as pictured earlier in this thread. They are also called fireballs, and they do indeed resemble a meteor with a tail as it streaks burning up through the atmosphere.
Exotics are what some call pearls other than white or black in colour (as I understand it)..exotic therefore in the sense of being unusual..although this makes a little less sense because many freshwater pearls are shades of peach through pink and lavender in varying intensity and depth naturally and are bleached to be white, or dyed to be black.so that the 'pond slime' pearls also pictured above, are natural colours pearls. (.Indeed I might not even call them pond slimes because they don't have the layers of gold etc which characterise pond slimes as against natural colour pearls to me whereas the flameballs in the box are pond slimes by my definition)

Nice pearls.
But, surely, if they are bead nuked, they aren't keishis ?

Nice pearls.
But, surely, if they are bead nuked, they aren't keishis ?

yes, we were all thinking that...

to my mind, the 1st and 2nd photos just above are also probably bead nukes.

yes, we were all thinking that...

to my mind, the 1st and 2nd photos just above are also probably bead nukes.

Hi! I am new here so I don't get all the lingo yet. When you say bead nukes, what does that mean? Are you saying they are not Chinese Kasumi-like pearls? Understanding that they are not Kasumi, but the thick layers of nacre sure make them look close to them to me. Or are you saying they are not natural colors?

They weren't sold as keishis to me so I wasn't expecting them to be keishis. They are clearly freshwater bead nucleated pearls. So I guess I am missing the point here? Understand I am not trying to be rude or argumentative, just trying to understand. I am new to pearls so I am trying to learn from everyone here.

Last edited:
Hi bead nukes are bead nucleated pearls, as against tissue nucleated. The latter was until recently the only way freshwater pearls were started off, but now some freshwater farmers are trying out salt water bead nucleation methods to produce larger rounder pearls (possibly faster)
their first efforts are the fire/flameballs and similar, and the first of the round bead nukes are in the market (at large prices)
When Sue and Nerida were commenting on the keishis (which cannot be bead nucleated or anything nucleated by definition) they meant Pearlcat's pearls.
hope that helps

Hello Lionlaw,
Yes, I was refering to Pearlcat's comment in post #166.

yes - the same for me...

Hi Lionclaw - sorry for any confusion. Your pearls are very nice indeed! The pearls posted in your photos look like they are bead nucleated - as Wendy said, a way of producing larger, hopefully rounder pearls from freshwater mollusks. The Chinese kasumi effect is one result of this... they are beautiful pearls indeed!

Back