Did I get ripped off?

jevangelist

Hi Everyone

I went to Shanghai for work two weeks ago and in an airport duty-free shop on a mad inspiration I bought my wife a string of pearls. The lady said they are salt-water natural pearls from Thailand. I don't know anything about pearls but they felt good in my hand. When my wife received them she asked where's the certificate. So, now she's fixated on being sure they're real, and now I'm wondering if I got ripped off - I did not tell her I spent $613! I was thinking to take them to an appraiser but for all I know a real expert would charge more than they are worth to tell me I got a fair price.

There are 47 pearls and one pearl-sized clasp and it weighs 2 oz total. I attached a picture.

Thank you for any help you can render pearl string 1.jpg

Joe

I love that you were so generous and impulsive with your wife, but you did get ripped off - seriously. Did you charge them? Maybe you can reverse the charges and send them back.

Yes, unfortunately. Those are Chinese freshwater pearls, not natural saltwater pearls from Thailand. They are real pearls, however, and they appear to be around 9 mm.

Thank you. I have lodged a dispute with American Express. I will now look for an appraiser to give written confirmation of the fraud and then will take the matter up with the Chinese embassy here in NY. They seem to be taking a severe stand against fraud and corruption these days. Would you know of a reliable appraiser in Queens or Manhattan NY? I only hope the cost of appraisal isn't more than the things are worth!

Thanks again for your help

Joe

Hi - Thank you for replying. I am really embarrassed - a lifelong New Yorker and I get stuck like this, like buying from one of those guys with a briefcase full of watches.

I lodged a dispute with American Express and will now look for an appraiser to get confirmation of the fraud (I only hope the cost of appraisal isn't more than the things are worth!), then will take the matter to the Chinese embassy here in NYC.

Who knows how many people they are defrauding? And the shop is directly behind the security check in Terminal Two!

Thanks again for your help

Joe

Call Rob Aretz, http://www.RobAretz.com. Explain why you need the appraisal and it shouldn't be too bad, since there won't be a lot of work involved. Tell him Blaire Beavers referred you. The thing that frosts me is that they aren't even very round.

Hi, I am also a New Yorker, and just wanted to comment that $600 is not an unusual price to pay for a strand of fresh water pearls, particularly if they are as large as 9 mm. Also, if you do not have any certificate stating that these are South Sea pearls, it will be your word against theirs. Sales people do not always know what they are selling, and again, charging $600 for a strand of freshwater is definitely not a crime, even on ebay. I think you will spend even more money and time trying to recover a couple of hundred dollars, and also spoil the pleasure of the gift to your wife. After all, I think that your good intention is very important, and you both could enjoy the strand if you like it. Yes, may be you did not get the best deal on it, but is this the most important?

$600 retail is outrageous for 9mm egg shaped pearls which probably wholesale for less than a tenth of that so, in fact $600 is a very unusual price to pay. However, you paid it and it is unlikely you will be able to get any money back. 9mm is not large.
It's certainly not south sea pearls (and even if it were $600 is too much for badly shaped pearls that size). Don't waste more money on an appraisal. Just spread the word not to shop at Shanghai airport and consider the pearls a loving souvenir

If this could make you feel any better, this is a picture of my own white 9 mm Chinese freshwater pearls purchases relatively recently at Tifany store on 5th avenue for about $1200. And the color strand is purchased by my sister on ebay from China [Pearllunar] also for about $600. I have to say that she loves it.

Attachments

• 20130930_151543.jpg
    20130930_151543.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20130930_152410.jpg
    20130930_152410.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi, I am also a New Yorker, and just wanted to comment that $600 is not an unusual price to pay for a strand of fresh water pearls, particularly if they are as large as 9 mm. Also, if you do not have any certificate stating that these are South Sea pearls, it will be your word against theirs. Sales people do not always know what they are selling, and again, charging $600 for a strand of freshwater is definitely not a crime, even on ebay. I think you will spend even more money and time trying to recover a couple of hundred dollars, and also spoil the pleasure of the gift to your wife. After all, I think that your good intention is very important, and you both could enjoy the strand if you like it. Yes, may be you did not get the best deal on it, but is this the most important?

I think it's important because he was lied to. Also, the seller didn't say they were South Sea pearls, they said "natural saltwater pearls from Thailand." I agree that he could easily pay the same price in the states or Europe. He could even pay more. But he was sold something that was fraudulently represented and way above what one would or should pay in the local market where they were purchased.

Yes. The price in the local market. That would be important for the appraiser to know. The pearls are egg-shaped and don't really compare to the pearl strands shown above.

Shape differences aside, I believe there is a significant difference in lustre too, in that the OP's strand looks dull compared to the two strands posted by Elenayak above.

OP, what is the clasp made of, as in the type of metal? Any recognisable hallmark?

DK :)

Shape differences aside, I believe there is a significant difference in lustre too, in that the OP's strand looks dull compared to the two strands posted by Elenayak above.

OP, what is the clasp made of, as in the type of metal? Any recognisable hallmark?

DK :)

Boy o boy, I'm getting a education, at least. I looked at the clasp with a magnifier. At best the metal looks silvery. Maybe it's steel. There is stamped on the clasp "PGP.M"

You say that the shop is directly behind a security check spot at Terminal Two? Does that mean it looked like a permanent location/shop, not a freestanding kiosk? What's the name of the shop?

Perhaps I'm naive (hopelessly?) to think it, but wouldn't a permanent shop be more interested in preserving it's good name than not, on an international forum?

It's one thing to know fraud goes on all the time, but another to have your name associated with fraud should anyone Google it.

Last edited:
It was a regular shop, first on the corner going towards the A gates after security. I don't remember the name. It wasn't the yellow "Sunrise Duty Free" shops that are all over the place, but a fancy-looking one that had lots of pearl sets and jewelry in flat display cases. On the Amex receipt it is "XIANG XUE HAI RETAIL SHOP SH", for what that's worth. Thanks for asking

Oops - hit the wrong button. That was a reply to lisac.
Yeah, I was a grade-A sucker. I would accept if it were just an honest price-gouging, but they deceived me - and gouged! Snakeheads.

I feel bad for you. We are here when you decide to find some beautiful high-quality pearls and not get ripped off. :)

hi lisa c - I replied, but to the wrong post. It's on page 2. (You'll probably see it anyway, so saying all that is not necessary... guess it's pretty clear I don't do bulletin boards much)

Thanks. I will keep that in mind, because, after the dust settles I would like to get the kind of gift I intended.
Meanwhile, I don't know why I hit reply to one message and it gets posted attached to another. Well, another thing to learn.

Back