What did I inherit?

alkhanson

Hi - I'm a 61-year-old woman and I inherited (maybe 25 years ago?) this strand of pearls from my great aunt. My great aunt was a wealthy woman and she gave me this strand - through my mother - several years before she died. This had once been part of a double strand of pearls and she took it upon herself to separate the strand into two necklaces - one for myself and one for my younger sister. My aunt never did anything 'cheaply'. She always had the best of everything and - the way I remember it - my mother (now deceased) made a bit of a 'presentation' of this necklace and explained what my great aunt had done in dividing the necklace. It seemed like a bit of a big deal. However, I never liked this strand of pearls and am finally thinking about doing something with them. (As an aside, I never felt very close to this aunt but DID try my best to be a good niece) But what should I do? I know they're not real - they are smooth when I rub them across my teeth. However, I don't want to write them off as 'costume jewelry' that isn't worth anything, because that seems at odds with who my aunt was. If the necklace is worthless, why would she have gone to the expense of having it split in two? (we actually do have an older sister too). I just don't know how to 'look' at this necklace. I'd like to sell it but have no idea if it's worth $10 or $100. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to the forum! I see you have 2 necklaces you'd like us to comment on. The background information is helpful, but it is difficult to truly "see" the pearls against the wood and they reflect the golden color. So ~ please, if possible take a couple of additional photos against a white paper napkin or paper towel and add them to your posts . Thanks!

These look like imitation pearls to me. The fish hook clasp and the bead caps next to the clasp are the most inexpensive for necklaces. Your Aunt may have done things first class for herself, but she didn't for this strand. I'm afraid these look like vintage imitation pearls to me.

They look like a double strand of imitation pearls that my grandmother gave me when I was 11. She'd had them for decades. I was thrilled when she gave them to me, because she knew I loved pearls. Then she said, "These are Richelieu pearls. They're the best pearl that is not a pearl." and my heart sank. It was 45 years before I finally cleaned them up, restrung them and wore them. They have the same dull yellowish color and similar bead ends and clasp.

They might be worth $10.

Thank you! I'm going to take some more pictures - I didn't know they needed to be photographed on a white background. Duh! But I'm feel far less guilty about the idea of letting go of them!

The pearls definitely look better next to white linen! But I'm not seeing any overtones. They're definitely not real, as you already knew.

You're not going to get any money for selling them. Do you have a young granddaughter or niece who would enjoy these for dress up play time?

Sadly - not yet - but hopefully some day! :) That's a good idea - maybe I should start a box of 'play' jewelry for a future grand-daughter!

Back