diamond chips

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
In an interlude of what now seems to be total stupidity I bought some strands of diamond chips which I thought would make up with tahitians and ss pearls into something rather nice in a man pearl way.
Then we started trying to thread them. Oh man oh man. Each minute chip takes forever and we have to use a lens to even find the hole.
Does anyone have a better way to do this otherwise we won't get them done before next Christmas and everyone else here hates me already

All I can say is you have my sympathy, Wendy. Nerida bought the one and only necklace I ever have made - or ever will make- using diamond chips. My only tips, which I'm sure you've already taken into consideration, are to use a very good light and magnifiers. Good luck!!!

Sheri

One additional tip - I used very fine cable (softflex brand). I would not recommend thread or silk, as the diamonds are likely to cut through the thread.

Sheri

I haven't been rushing to thread mine. I knew the holes were tiny trouble, but they are pretty. It's comforting to know that I will be in good company when I start the struggle. :)

I picked up some beautiful diamond beads (not chips) and am having a wicked time stringing these. I would prefer to use a thread over a beading wire, so was wondering if anyone has had any success stringing these little beauties? I am down to a single strand of .004 Dandyline, and am still having trouble pulling the beads over the end of the needle where the thread is doubled. Any ideas out there? Thanks

julie.

I did not manage to use a needle with double thread. I finally used the smallest size beading wire without the needle. I found it also the best way to hit that little hole and just transfer the diamonds directly from the temporary wire.

Hi Wendy and jas932,

I too have tiny diamond beads and the only thing that can be strung through them as far as I know is 18kt (whatever carat) 26 guage, or Beadalon Wire .012 inches (.30mm)... This can be obtained in 24kt gold over 19 strands of wire. If you try anything else the chances are that the diamonds will cut through the thread.

I have used both and both work. Will send you blind but it will work. Very finicky work. Tiny beads regardless what they are are always a pain to work with but diamonds are the worse because you cannot even try to ream them out so whatever thread you use needs to be strong so the diamonds won't cut through it.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

Thanks Dawn, sounds like I'm going to have to go with a beading wire, which is what I wanted to avoid.

In salt air where I live all those beading wires will eventually rust, and they kink. I have been hoping to find a thin kevlar thread or something similar, so far no luck.

I'm wondering if you have gotten any feedback from customers on those diamonds that you've strung? Any complaints? Any breakage, etc?

thanks
julie.

I have been hoping to find a thin kevlar thread or something similar, so far no luck.
julie.
Have you tried power pro? It is made out a some kind of kevlar, but woven into an extremely tiny tube try the 004lb or 006lb.They are very small. Google PowerPro beading thread. It comes in a moss green and white. It's hard on the hands, but it is the best candidate I can think of for the little diamond chips. The link I provided is Beadaholique, but other places are just as good or better.

Hi jas932,

The Beadalon I am referring to with 24kt gold plating has stainless steel wire and stainless steel doesn't rust. I have found it easy to use and it doesn't kink. It is a lot more expensive than most beading wires. You can also get it coated in sterling silver. What you don't need is a needle which with tiny bead holes is a real plus.

I haven't had any problems with it and no customers saying it broke, no complaints thank goodness. There are different gauges but for tiny beads such as diamonds you would need the .012 ....

I can't remember now if I tried powerpro which is also very strong and worth a try. The only thing with it is that you would need to use a needle and that is when problems arise. Bead holes just too small to take the needles.

I will try and find a link for you.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

Hi there,
just a few days ago i beaded about 1.2 meters (!) of tiny faceted diamond cubes that are now worn as a wristband with a magnetic clasp - I used Softflex stainless steel in 0.010 inch/0.25 Milimeters - worked fine, took me about six hours to string the whole thing...
Greetings,
pearlgem

Thanks everyone for the input! I just spoke with a bead store owner who sells thousands$$ in diamond bead necklaces, and he recommends .010, .012 or .013 Beadalon so that's what I'll try next. As Dawn pointed out, getting the beads over the needle is the problem, so true!

I will let you know how it works out, thanks again

Julie.

For beads with very small holes (including diamonds) I have been most successful with Accuflex ultra fine 49 strand in .012.

It is not plated or coated with clear wax /plastic--diamond beads can mar plating and coating (such as that found on some beadalon) The marring (caused by a wax coating over th nylon sheath or plating) can cause the nylon sheath to ravel if a sharp point on the bead hits it and snags--the beadalon coating for some reason makes this worse, not better.
The finer 49 strand wire has superior flexibility and, I suspect, the flexibility might reduce snags. I have not found other companies (besides accuflex) that make the .012 in 49 strands. Most start at .013 or .014 for forty nine strands.

If you use the powerpro, you can avoid the needle issue by coating about an inch with super glue. Hold taut until it dries, then cut a "point" by cutting at an angle. This is one of those things where the unglamorous magnifier visor really comes in handy. Let us know how it goes. :cool:

Today I was finally successful in stringing a strand of the diamond beads. I used Beadalon size .010 and it held up very well, no fraying, etc. But what a pain to string these little beauties!

I would have loved to used the 49 strand .012, but it was just too thick for these. I have a few other strands, maybe the drill hole is a bit larger in them.

I had tried making a needle with spectrafiber, didn't work, the thread never gets stiff enough and the glue coating gets scraped off.

I finished the ends near the clasp with black seed beads, because the beadalon needs to run back thru the end beads twice, and forget trying to get that thru the diamonds. Once was hard enough!

For those who are going to try this, cut a whole bunch of extra beading wire because you will need to keep snipping the end on an angle. Give yourself plenty of time, this is going to take awhile. I can whip thru a pearl necklace in less than 15 min., this took me a couple of hours!

.julie.

15 Minutes! Including finishing the ends!?! Now theres something to aim for....
Now, Down to business. Pictures Please!

If you use the powerpro, you can avoid the needle issue by coating about an inch with super glue. Hold taut until it dries, then cut a "point" by cutting at an angle. This is one of those things where the unglamorous magnifier visor really comes in handy. Let us know how it goes. :cool:

Thanks Geek. I should have added that. It is one of the many techniques in Henrietta Vircheks great classic book on knotting. Amazon has it for $11.+2.99 shipping. I think Suzanne Hye of Hye on beads at eBay sells it too. She actually learned from Henrietta in person.

you can avoid the needle issue by coating about an inch with super glue. Hold taut until it dries, then cut a "point" by cutting at an angle.
I have been known to dip the end of my beading thread in nail polish, for the same effect. Havent tried diamond beads, yet, but it was quite good for other small hole beads, like Peridot, which were too fiddly to ream.
Great minds...

Back