Design and Win a Natural Abalone Pearl

I missed the second one too, dang.

Olga I love that ring design! It's nicely balanced and I'm in Pattye's camp thinking it could be a "bee" which I definitely enjoy. How very regal!

NZNP,

Here's my entry, with a temporary "place holder" greeny dyed pearl. I feel either pearl would look lovely with these natural color cfwp. I have been trying to figure out how I could make a dimensional flower with the keshi petal pearls I love, and, finally, motivated by this fun contest, here it is. My drawings are so rustic I can barely read them; I find I need to manipulate the materials. This is about 2 inches across, would be nice as an enhancer, but right now is on a narrow silver omega.

I don't recall seeing anything like this, and my google search didn't turn up anything, so hopefully I have not inadvertently copied what someone else is making. Please let me know, if so.

IMGP2104_resize.jpg

Also have some rosebud pearls, and other miscellaneous pearls and gemstones that look good as an optional centerpiece.

Last edited:
Double-Dip

Double-Dip

It's not a great photo of my design, but I think it gets the point across. These are ice-cream cone pendants or charms with a gold waffle cone wrapped around each pearl of "ice cream" and a ruby cherry bale on top. Cute, no? It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the two abalone pearls. One is Pistachio and the other flavor is "Blue Moon," that weird bubble-gum flavor.

Attachments

• SDC11227.jpg
    SDC11227.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 42
Such clever and beautiful designs. Pattye--you were so smart--entered the contest while at the same time making something that is elegant and beautiful on its own--your enhancer is fabulous just as it is.

Oooooh! I hadn't seen this - I've been sooo busy. And now its nearly over and I haven't started playing! I love this kind of thing. I hope I can make time to try a few ideas!

Peacock pendant with sapphires and butterfly pendant with green garnets?

scan0002.jpg

Hi Pattye -

This is awesome...I love the blossom of pearls. For some reason (I was pondering pearls of all sorts) I instantly saw this with a Tahitian baroque and Tahitian keshis surrounding. ? Honestly this is just made to celebrate pearls of all colors.

NZNP,

Here's my entry, with a temporary "place holder" greeny dyed pearl. I feel either pearl would look lovely with these natural color cfwp. I have been trying to figure out how I could make a dimensional flower with the keshi petal pearls I love, and, finally, motivated by this fun contest, here it is. My drawings are so rustic I can barely read them; I find I need to manipulate the materials. This is about 2 inches across, would be nice as an enhancer, but right now is on a narrow silver omega.

I don't recall seeing anything like this, and my google search didn't turn up anything, so hopefully I have not inadvertently copied what someone else is making. Please let me know, if so.

View attachment 8500

Also have some rosebud pearls, and other miscellaneous pearls and gemstones that look good as an optional centerpiece.

KauaiAnne and Blaire -

Both of you have devised SUPER charming designs! I am impressed with your inventiveness.

What a cool contest to get all these ideas going. :)

Ok...I'm definitely joining....since I'm a fan of gemstones, I'm using emeralds, peridots, amethysts, and a ruby for the bird design and sapphires and rubies (can be substituted by tourmalines) for the other design. :)

Attachments

• Design1.JPG
    Design1.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 49
Love the cones, birds and butterflies--one of my favorite "Jewel books" is called the Jeweled Menagerie, and these would fit right in.

We are traveling later today and tomorrow. I may or may not have internet connectivity during that time so I will submit mine below.

Regardless of who wins, this has been great fun and challenging, and motivating to see the possibilities of imagination applied to design.

My husband is a wonderful photographer. I have always aspired to create jewelry inspired by some of his amazing nature photos. I have drawn inspiration from his photos of webs with morning dew--as they encased seed pods and other natural objects.

In fact the idea of encasement, encroachment, and intertwining in nature has become quite a theme--of the jewelry to which I aspire, if not my work so far.

These ideas are iterations of the theme of encasement--although some are many iterations removed! They are not bench ready designs, of course, but concepts that could hopefully be the basis for a variety of "bench designs" in either precious or newer "cutting edge" metals (literally I guess!) such as titanium. I got carried away--but this exercise has inspired me to be more creative, even with my modest skill level--and to take more classes this year.

Of course in doing this exercise, I have also fallen more in love with Paua pearls, having already been enchanted with the one that I have.

Thanks for the opportunity and good luck to all!

Peace, Beth

Attachments

• 1 1 1 1 1 a  1 inspiration.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 1 inspiration.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 2  main designs.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 2 main designs.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 3 explanation of md.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 3 explanation of md.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 5 color renderings.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 5 color renderings.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 50
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 4 stones.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 4 stones.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 6 simplify 1.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 6 simplify 1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 45
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 6a simpl 2.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 6a simpl 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1 1 1 1 1 a 7 last.jpg
    1 1 1 1 1 a 7 last.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 42
Beth, that design is amazing....I can't even choose which of yours I like best. I would love to see each of them made up. I really love your inspiration, too, and the photos you included. I feel completely inadequate!! Heidi, I love your ring, and I love the brooch as well... everyone is Sooo talented. Pattye, the flower is gorgeous - I want one!! I would love to wear it as a brooch on any of the very simple black dresses I nearly always wear when out and about selling pearls... it is gorgeous.

WOW!!! I LOVE this thread :D I'm not a creator but I'm one heck of an 'appreciator' ;)

Perlas - your little bird perched amongst the leaves is adorable!

Pattye - aaahhh the Keshi blossom enhancer is fabulous and would also make an amazing pin.......I love Keshi petals too.

GemGeek - I can just see the peacock proudly displaying his sapphire plumes and the butterfly with tsavorite or (let's go crazy) demantoid garnet wings!

claudenancy - I am blown away by your spider web design, the briolette dewdrops and the tendrils caressing the pearl. Your design is so evocative of the Art Nouveau period when nature was the inspiration for jewellery makers. If you like 'The Jewelled Menagerie' then you may also enjoy 'Tiffany Flora and Fauna' by John Loring.

Thanks for sharing all you talented pearls :)

You are all amazing! It gives me ideas - ideas like calling on you when I need help. ;)

2 more designs! simple and easy to execute....:)

Attachments

• design2.JPG
    design2.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 35
So much fun to see everyones' delightful, creative designs!

Heidi, I keep coming back to admire your kelp ring, love the grace and simplicity so perfect for showcasing the NZNP.

KauaiAnne, Adorable as an ice cream cone!

Blaire, Super cuties, love the themes and idea of garnet to contrast with the intensity of the pearls!

Perlas, my fav is the adorable bird in the cage with tiny leaves, a perfect pendant!

Beth, so many great ideas, truly inspired by nature! The leaf and tendril frame is perfect!

Thanks much, everyone, for your kind comments on my keshi flower pendant. Perhaps this one is a bit heavy for a brooch at 24 grams, but plan to make others with more rounded, thinner keshi that would weigh less.

Totally agree Heidi, the idea of doing a piece in Tahitian keshi sounds fab! I would need to have them end drilled, as they are wired to a sterling silver base on this one. But have plans to try some other base materials and ways of attaching the "petals"----------

Hope we will get a few more entries before it is over----

Last edited:
Back