Deeply Carved Pearls

Deeply Carved Pearls

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LehndorffCarvedPearlsweb.jpg

Inspired by Galatea -- I have been carving pearls in Michigan, USA since December, although I am thousands of miles away from major markets. These are deeply carved freshwater pearls and a great way to add some value to low grade pearls. What do you think? Anyone else doing this?LenndorfEarringsPearl small.jpg Photos are by Jim Lawson, USA

Cool. I like the spiral ones.

What do the pearls look like if you go with a higher grade pearl that happens to have a few flaws you can carve out?

What's the durability of the pearl with this deep of a carving? Does it chip easier?

I can't afford high grade pearls. I assume that they would look beautiful. Better grown pearls also might be easier to arve because the nacre is more consistent.

Chipping probably depends on the pearl and the treatment it was given. Mine have not chipped during carving. And they have not chipped while being worn. However, I'll try a couple drop tests on marble floors and other tests to see what happens.

I'd love to see photos or a video of you carving the pearls!

Those are really pretty, Betsy! I would think that "lower quality" non-nucleated FW pearls would lend themselves well to carving, given the fact they are solid nacre (thus less susceptible to chipping?). Nice work!

Well. I did some tests. I dropped a white curl-carved pearl on the bathroom floor from waist height and six feet - like you would drop an earring when putting it on. No damage. I dropped it on a granite floor. No damage. I threw it with force onto the bathroom floor several times and got a little damage that I removed with a nail salon file. The nacre chips off in thin layers, not hunks. The damage might be more visible with a dyed pearl.

The technique is safe. I also rigged up a simple way to hold them using duct tape and wire. I'm teaching this around the USA and wanted it to be cheap and fun. I carve them at my jeweler's bench with a flexible shaft tool and dental grade diamond bits.

The closest I can come is the April 2016 step-by-step article I wrote in Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist magazine.

Those are really pretty, Betsy! I would think that "lower quality" non-nucleated FW pearls would lend themselves well to carving, given the fact they are solid nacre (thus less susceptible to chipping?). Nice work!

Definitely agree..the deep carving suits the fresh waters .

You're probably right about the dyed pearls but it would be worth cutting into one to see what the effect is like ...you never know ! And well done on your forceful chipping experiment ! Sounds like they would hold up well to a normal fumble fingered drop onto the bathroom floor ;)

Last edited:
Back