Day pearl, night pearl

pernula

I am borrowing Richard Wise? phrase (day stone, night stone).

Are there some pearls that inherently keep their entire glory at a wide range of lighting? If that is not possible, are there pearls that would still look better during the day, but compared to others are the best night pearls around?

For lighting I am thinking particularly of fluorescent light, even though the criterion for most other gemstones is incandescent when discussing night color. Mostly because I am guessing the world is moving to fluorescent for energy efficiency. If anyone has information on what pearls might look best in candle light, so much the better!

Thank you.
pernula

Don't have information, but do have an opinion.

In candlelight, large white or cream pearls with a nice (not sure of the correct term) luster? really do reflect candlelight nicely. Also, a double or triple strand look really good in candlelight -- nice and warm.

For flurorescent, pearls with a color (pink, peach, lavender) hold up well especailly in an office.

Just trying to think whether any jewelry material at all looks better in diffuse (halogen) office lighting... and couldn't think of anything at all. Maybe black & white solid color stones and white metal do not suffer, the rest should be enough to have folks rethink indoor lighting wherever jewelry is worn, LOL! ...

Just an opinion, of course.

Too bad that a related thread on Gemology Online died young (HERE) it would be great to see the concept tried out onto pearls. ;)

Thanks everyone. That link to gemology online is interesting.

What about Tahitian or freshwater dyed black pearls? Sea of Cortez pearls? Do they look good in a wide range of lighting?

Thanks,
pernula

Nice pearls have a bit of a chameleon streak: they change looks in different lights and I would imagine it is a matter of opinion which of these 'looks' is nicer.

Obviously everything changes appearance with lighting (a generalization of "all cats are black in the dark", LOL), precious stones just make one think harder of their appearance and notice changes. and they also bring up the subtle changes in the color and type of lighting that normally most do not (need to) notice ... IMO, in this sense pearls change with lighting...

IMO, orient shows best in day light (directional light), overtone comes up when orient subsides in diffuse lighting, and lustre plays out most in dim 'candle light' when both orient and overtone become harder to notice from a socially acceptable distance (i.e. no staring at a pearl under loupe, but on a wearer).

The best way to see these? Get a couple of loose pearls as separate examples of TOP orient, exotic overtone and great lustre. And let them do the talking. With freshwaters and unusual pearls sold loose this is feasible, and not a bank breaking exercise at all. The only problem with such experiments is that they can make you quite a 'pearl snob' :eek: (a chronic condition that may be rather fun, IHMO) :cool:

My 2c.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO:
Sea of Cortez Pearls look STUNNING in any situation...even an awkard one ;)
Seriously speaking: under strong direct light (halogen or sunlight) they seem to become darker, almost black or bronze. Under indirect natural light they look BEAUTIFUL: their natural colors just FLARE or IGNITE.
At nightime, they are INCREDIBLE SOFT...ideal to enhance a Woman's beauty. But inside a Discotheque they are just CRAZY FUN...depending on the disco's lighting they GLOW RED!

Definitevely FUN pearls.

The ones in the photo are under indirect sunlight...

Attachments

• Pearls Cosecha 2006 013 [%P].jpg
    Pearls Cosecha 2006 013 [%P].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 44
CortezPearls,
I am saving my pennies. I would really like to own a Sea of Cortez pearl piece. I guess Care Ehert (DruzyDesign) is the place to shop. Any others?

Hi Nicole,

I don't know on what basis they are claiming that is a 1970 Sea of Cortez mabe. From reading on the Sea of Cortez site about their pearls, they started up the farm again in 1996 or so.

I am fortunate enough to have some of the pearls from Carolyn Ehret. So I know they are Sea of Cortez. And they are just lovely.

Maybe Douglas will see your post and comment. It is a pretty pearl, but they could be trying to command a higher price by claiming that origin. IMO

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I would not accept any "circa" dates this seller states based on every one of the pearl auctions listed. There is nothing about any of the pieces that indicate they are vintage, yet every piece is listed as vintage. I am not familiar enough with Sea of Cortez to say that the pearl is not Sea of Cortez, but I can say that nearly every "vintage" date this seller has posted appears to be a total fabrication. Some of the Tahitian cultured pearls are even older than the industry - just like the Sea of Cortez mabe... I guess circa 1970 could be 2005 if you allow for a fudge factor.

Ingykiz said:
CortezPearls,
I am saving my pennies. I would really like to own a Sea of Cortez pearl piece. I guess Care Ehert (DruzyDesign) is the place to shop. Any others?

Hi, All, and Douglas,
Are there any placeto buy loose cortez pearls? maybe, if possible,by regular mail directly from the farm? I am starting a collection with many kinds/varietys of pearl, from many places, with the aid of show to costumers this variation.

Regards

Ricardo Cunha Lima

Howdy Folks!

Just read this...
Nicole said:
I also love Sea of Cortez pearls, although I've never actually seen any in person.

Look at this piece I found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-of-Cortez-M...ryZ45403QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
I didn't even know that Sea of Cortez pearls were being cultured in 1970; I thought they were a new thing!

This is a hoax or fraud...the color looks artificial and in the 1970's there were somepeople trying to grow Sea of Cortez Pearls in the Panamic Black Lipped Oyster (Pinctada mazatlanica) and this particular species produces pearls more similar to Tahitian and Australian pearls. So this is a definitive no-go.

Now, let us say that the color is really natural...then it would be from a Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oyster (Pteria sterna) and those we began growing in 1994, with the largest harvest in 1996. So it could be a Sea of Cortez Pearl (which I doubt, because the color looks phony but it is a photo...so it is harder to tell) but more vintage 1996. The again, it could be a Natural Blister Pearl, then it could be a 70's pearl.

Finally had some time for photos! And these are about the subject we where talking about...Day & Night Pearls.
I took 3 mabe pearls (for larger viewing): 1 Cortez Mabe Pearl, 1 Australian Mabe and 1 Japanese Mabe. I took photos of these using no filters (software camera filters) under 3 different light situations:
A) Office or Fluorescent lights.
B) Indirect Natural Light (coming in from a window)
c) Direct Sunlight.
Sorry: could not get a candle light situation to work with my camera.

The results are interesting...but most of you will have seen this before so this will not be new. But for those that have not seen this it should be interesting. Most color treated pearls (and faux or fakes) don't change much -colorwise- when you change illumination. The only pearl with a striking color change is...drum roll, please...the Cortez Mabe Pearl.

The did the same thing with a group of 4 mabes...1 Faux (white), 1 Tahitian, 1 Aussie and 1 Cortez. When people wonder how a faux pearl can imitate a real pearl all you have to do is open your eyes and the truth is revealed: some cultured pearls are so totally devoid of true pearl beauty that even plastic can imitate their looks. Hope the resolution is enough...the forum's pixel limitations are drastic.:(

Attachments

• Comparativo 3 Mabes 3 iluminaciones diferentes copy [%P].jpg
    Comparativo 3 Mabes 3 iluminaciones diferentes copy [%P].jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Comparativo 4 Mabes 3 tipos de Luz copy [%P].jpg
    Comparativo 4 Mabes 3 tipos de Luz copy [%P].jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 50
Ingykiz said:
CortezPearls,

There are other places to buy Cortez Pearls, but Carolyn Ehret is an excellent source who will also be able to provide you with many differents jewelry options, giving you a good opportunity to find what you want at the price you need.

The other option is visiting the www.cortezpearls.com web-page and finding a Distributor near you. Mind you...there are less than 4,000 pearls produced per year so this product is truly, deeply, madly EXCLUSIVE. You will -definitively- NOT be able to find these pearls at WalMart or COSTCO...not even this "Weston Jeweler" would be able to have these pearls for sale.

Douglas: thanks for the photos of pearls in different lighting. That is very helpful.

Regards,
pernula

I think untreated baroque Akoya pearls are very versatile in different lighting. What do other forum members who recently purchased these pearls think?

In fluorescent or pale light, the silvery blue color is very alluring. I imagine a Patronus having that color and nickname them my Patronus Charm pearls--they really do remind me to think of happy things when I feel down.

In bright sunlight, the pink, aqua, purple, and even orange colors pop all over the place. There are one or two pearls that look transparent with brown-colored cores in them though. I live in the Rockies, so it does get very bright, may be I am seeing the beads inside?

Love to hear your impression.

Regards,
pernula

Back