Dawn's Pearls

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
As promised I have finally found some time to take photos of some of my pearl pieces. Mainly rings at this time but more things later and I will only start with a few and add as I have time.

I have no idea what type of pearl this is. Except a large beautiful pink. Now in a ring it has previously been drilled for a pendant. It also has a large blemish which you should see but I still love it. Probably would be best set back in a pendant which could cover the blemish and drill hole would be used.

These photos taken outside in daylight and the pink is brighter than the pearl actually is. I will need to find photos taken inside for accurate colour. It measures 9.36 x 8.06mm but too hard to measure the depth but I think around 6 - 7mm. The bottom is visible and is flatish.

If anyone knows what kind of pearl it is please do let me know what you think.

Next my white pearl which needs to be professionally peeled. It is 8.5mm wide. Can't check depth. I really love this one with all its flaws and warts :)

Love to hear what you think of it and what it is. I believe it is a SS Natural pearl.

Next a Brooch, Tie Pin or whatever one calls these. It is a big White Natural Pearl measuring 8.46 x 7.74mm deep app. I believe this is natural & possibly a River Tay Pearl as I have one very similar although smaller which I bought for a small fortune and some paperwork came with from a Scottish store - just information but unfortunately when Barry took some photos for me he threw away the small paper with info on it. I also have another even smaller one I believe is a Tay too. But who knows, whatever it is a real stunner.

This is a Tahitian Pearl Necklace with a stunning diamond clasp. Now sold after I re-strung it removing any blemished pearls and adding AA plus pearls. Wish I could have kept it but can't keep one's stock unfortunately.

Just one more for now an old, old photo of baby in shell. :) Not me but my mother. Photo taken in 1919.

Not sure I am adding these photos and information correctly so I will leave it there for now.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• Pink Pearl Ring1.jpg
    Pink Pearl Ring1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Pink Pearl Ring2.jpg
    Pink Pearl Ring2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Pinkpearl.jpg
    Pinkpearl.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Needs peeling1.jpg
    Needs peeling1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Needs peeling3.jpg
    Needs peeling3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Needs peeling2.jpg
    Needs peeling2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 36
  • Pearl Tie Pin1.jpg
    Pearl Tie Pin1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010804
    P1010804
    21.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010805
    P1010805
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010806
    P1010806
    24 KB · Views: 41
Great stuff. I like rings the best because they are easier to admire! :)

Hello all,

I agree GemGeek the rings are the easiest to admire. But I still love the big white pearl on the pin/brooch. I only added the shell photo for the shell because of its size. I thought someone would ask who the baby was so … yes that is my mother but my dogs are far more precious to me than any jewellery or my mother. Sounds horrid but it is true and for good reason. I am not one to pretend just because someone dies. :( Sorry if I have offended anyone, especially you Pattye.

I will add more pearl photos later.

Dawn - Bodecia

Dawn, You have a right to feel as you do, no offense taken at all. We all have our stories~not all are pleasant, of course. I've had dogs most of my life, agree with you that they are THE BEST, but no pets for me the last few years. (allergic to cats, unfortunately.)

What lovelies! The pinky is my favourite for its naturalistic shape :) I'm fascinated to see your Tay pearl too...thank you for sharing them.

Hi Dawn, more fab jewels, wow what a collection you have.

Interested to know if the pink pearl is drilled and has a post at the base as well as the claw setting.

One of the elderly jewelers who I showed my Pipi Pearl ring told me the long claws with a post as well was a setting technique common from the Arts & Crafts period through to the 50's.

Apparently it began to die out after WWII when epoxy resins like Araldite became available and setting styles took on a more "modern" look without the need for the long claws.

So maybe your pink ring is 1920's to 50's. I will be fascinated to hear peoples' opinions on what sort of pearl it is.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, it has a hole in the bottom but not in use now, as well as the hole on one side. I do feel it was set in a pendant at some time. That would allow for both holes and could have covered the rather strange blemish which I really need to look at under my USB mini microscope as soon as I clear my desk :) and get my non Mac PC set up.

In the 60s I believe Instant Glue was invented for use instead of stitches for the men in Vietnam. Clean the blood off and glue em up. And from then on all our fancy little glues.

Will start uploading more photos now. Can anyone tell me how to upload a photo and put in information regarding that pearl before moving onto the next photo and info. In the meantime I might have to just put up photos. I will try again but I guess I am not that high tech :))

Dawn - Bodecia

More Photos

More Photos

Okay, first the Bridal Collier which I was told was probably Biwa Pearls. Some are flat bottomed and some aren't. I will have to take more close up photos of that. Seems I messed up with Manage attachments so will try again in a moment.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• collier fullyyyfull.jpg
    collier fullyyyfull.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 40
More photos. This is a 8.80mm x 8.44 by app. 8.50mm deep. Ignore the little blue pearls they are well worn cultured blues. I bought some Abalone pearls for abalonekiwi (?) but they are a little large and may not fit. I am thinking of adding something else if I cannot find more 3mm abalone for it. That main pearl does look like a natural with a few blemishes on the bottom. The two small photos were what I bought it from. The others taken in daylight a couple of days ago. I have noticed it needs a really good clean :(

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• White Nat 2Blue Ring1.jpg
    White Nat 2Blue Ring1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 44
  • White Nat 2Blue Ring2.jpg
    White Nat 2Blue Ring2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 39
  • White Nat 2Blue Ring3.jpg
    White Nat 2Blue Ring3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 34
  • White Nat 2Blue RingA1.jpg
    White Nat 2Blue RingA1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 37
  • White Nat 2Blue RingA2.jpg
    White Nat 2Blue RingA2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 40
This is a pair of Gold, Garden and Seed Pearls. I can't read the gold karat so will have to check. I will probably list them before long. I have worn them :) but just sitting at my computer. I think the back is called an Omega clip. They weight 14.6 grams and measure 19.20 x 15.94mm.
Think I will put them on now while I am adding photos. :) Okay just put them on and they are amazingly comfortable especially for the weight.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• Garnet & seed pearls1.jpg
    Garnet & seed pearls1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 41
  • Garnetseedpearlears2.jpg
    Garnetseedpearlears2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi, my next little beauty is a freeform style ring shank which I love with a South Sea or Silvery white/blue pearl. I suppose it could be Tahitian. The pearl measures 9mm x 8.25.mm x app. 8.29mm deep. 14 kt weight 3.8 grams so not a bad weight for a ring. Tried to show it from different angles. I think the goldsmith work is stunning. Obviously not antique.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 51
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 46
Tay River Pearl. This is the one that Barry threw the paper work away on but somewhere in my files I think I have photo of it. As I said it was just the information from the lady from Scotland but I did believe it was on the level. I know these can no longer be taken from the River as it should be. They were nearly wiped out as they were so popular in the UK.

I might as well add a few photos of other pearl stick pins I have. But the top one is the Tay. I think there are some nice naturals here.

Dawn - Bodecia

Attachments

• B 2-2.jpg
    B 2-2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
  • C 2-1.jpg
    C 2-1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 40
  • AkoyaPearls Silver Rose Ivory
    AkoyaPearls Silver Rose Ivory
    5 KB · Views: 48
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 2C.jpg
    2C.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 41
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 705048756_o.jpg
    705048756_o.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF2813.jpg
    DSCF2813.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF9536.jpg
    DSCF9536.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF9539.jpg
    DSCF9539.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Gold & White Tie Pins1.jpg
    Gold & White Tie Pins1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF9542.jpg
    DSCF9542.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF9543 2.jpg
    DSCF9543 2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 43
Wow, what a wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing it with us.

You're a great source , it's always fun to see what you've put up for viewing here!

Last edited:
Hi Dawn,
I Love your collection ! The pink pearl in particular is amazingly beautiful, blemish included !
The more I learn about natural pearls, the more I realize i know nothing..... I would have NEVER guess that the 2 white pin pearls were natural (both the Tay) ! Too round, too white, too perfect... And yet, the amazing luster. Waow !
Thank you for sharing your treasures, a real treat to look at this thread again, again, and again !
Warm Regards
Sophie

Back