Natural Pearls??

Vintage

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can provide more info about this strand of pearls.

It is:
  • 20" long
  • At least 15 years old (likely much older)
  • The tongue of the clasp is stamped "750" on one side, with "LT" (in a dotted oval) and "18K" on the other side
  • It has some irregularities - mostly raised portions, kind of like when a bit of extra paint dribbles onto something. (I did some Googling and it looks like "mottling/bulleting," with a couple of "pin-prick/dimple inclusions"? I'm not familiar with the lingo.)
  • These photos were taken in indirect natural light, with 7mm cultured freshwater earrings for comparison. The necklace has much more of a cream color than the white earrings.
  • The pearls came in a folder labeled "Aberdeen Jewelry Factory Ltd." This may or may not be the original case (?)

I have been told these may be natural pearls but I'm not sure. Also curious on where they may have been made, value, really anything :)

Last edited:
A little googling returned an Aberdeen Jewelry Factory Ltd. in Hong Kong. Established 1984.

These look like cultured, slightly baroque (due to the uneven surface), akoya pearls. They are not natural, but cultured. So real pearls, but farmed as opposed to found in the wild.

I agree. Real pearls, likely cultured Akoya, but not natural pearls created in the wild.

Thank you!! Does anyone have a sense of what their value might be, just ballpark? I'm not looking to spend on an appraisal right now but I am curious.

Should I have them restrung?

It definitely would look better if restrung. Silk absorbs moisture, skin oils and general environmental pollution over time. The silk becomes grimy and stretches, leaving gaps in the necklace, and the thread becomes weaker and subject to breakage. If you like you can restring them yourself, as many of us do (see tutorials and videos on our Lowly Beaders club.)

The 18K clasp (which I like very much) is likely the greater part of the value of the necklace. I would not bother getting an appraisal. This does not appear to be high end strand, and in any case, pearls do not tend to retain their value. Restring it, wear and enjoy it!

Back