Change in Jewelry Sales on HSN and QVC

That market probably shops on JTV now I would imagine. I think this is an interesting article though..because for the most part I don't know anyone my age that shops through TV shows. They much prefer shopping for jewelry at cheap brick and mortar stores or through Etsy when they want something online. I am an Etsy freak, admittedly. :)

That market probably shops on JTV now I would imagine. I think this is an interesting article though..because for the most part I don't know anyone my age that shops through TV shows. They much prefer shopping for jewelry at cheap brick and mortar stores or through Etsy when they want something online. I am an Etsy freak, admittedly. :)
I find this all very fascinating...I'm not really that familiar with Etsy. It's almost overwhelming to me to use...how do you narrow your searches? Are you looking for bargains, or are you looking for creativity when you shop?

When I use Etsy it's mostly to find something creative. There are a LOT of wonderful artists that put their pieces on Etsy. Sometimes I can find a bargain though. When I get on it I type keywords that are pretty specific. It's shocking how many things will come up even doing that sometimes. The "suggestions" tabs are cool to look through too.

I also buy from a lot of the same people so I'll favorite their shop and anything new they add will pop up on my home page. Jacques is one of those whose shop I frequent quite often.

I hate to say it but it was bound to happen. The consumers have become much more educated (thanks in part to all jewelry shopping channels). Quality is important and HSN was notorious for QA issues in the jewelry department. I remember many many years when I was just a kid in Jr. High and my Grandma was watching HSN, a viewer called in to complain about how pale the Amethyst pendant was (because she had the same pendant). The viewer said it almost looked faded compared to the "on air" Amethyst pendant, I remember the show host rushed her off air, and then said to the audience, "Amethyst does not fade and are not pale". The lesson I took from that was there is "Presentation jewelry" then there is jewelry that is sold. Around the same time my older brother did a report for school on the home shopping channels core audience…what he found (and still holds true) the largest Audience are seniors, retired persons and people that are disabled and spend large amounts of time with TV as company.

I think younger customers have become very smart with how they shop. Information is key and how it is presented. Live on air you can talk and romance the unique qualities of Moldavite, but if you aren't giving factual info, it is easily fact checked by a viewer on a PMD. Customers are demanding better quality and better prices, because they can.

While most people can't compete volume wise, I think real quality is somethings jewelers can use to set themselves apart.

Last edited:
Interesting insights, BPDDC. I definitely agree that younger consumers are more eduacting themselves on their purchases before buying, and not just big-ticket items. Just about everyone I know consistently looks at reviews online about everything from face wash to laptops. I've always been under the impression that informed consumers are the best kind of consumers. I really could talk about this all day, but I'll spare you all :)

That being said, I won't lie and say I don't watch home shopping shows. I find them very relaxing to watch and I got an awesome blanket from HSN recently haha.

lary007- Iam with you. While I don't consider myself a Sr citizen, nor am I home bound I do watch the Jewelry shows. Sometimes I like to watch the "All Jewelry" channels to laugh at the misinformation, other times just to see pretty sparkling gems, usually as back ground noise while I'm doing something else. I've also shopped in TV for electronics (all my original digital cameras came from HSN).

Interesting insights, BPDDC. I definitely agree that younger consumers are more eduacting themselves on their purchases before buying, and not just big-ticket items. Just about everyone I know consistently looks at reviews online about everything from face wash to laptops. I've always been under the impression that informed consumers are the best kind of consumers. I really could talk about this all day, but I'll spare you all :)

That being said, I won't lie and say I don't watch home shopping shows. I find them very relaxing to watch and I got an awesome blanket from HSN recently haha.

I know the head of one of the new channels - I think it's called rocks tv over there - the genuine gemstone company. They source from the mines and make nearly everything in house. It's a real family company. Steve is incredibly knowledgeable about gemstones. If you can catch him when he (still occasionally) presents he's worth watching for all the information and enthusiasm which he delivers
Unfortunately he's started selling pearls and his presenters talk rubbish about pearls. I've given up telling him

Back