CFW or Tahitian?

Based on the price alone, I think we can assume that these are freshwater pearls. Plus, the strand shown in the photo is probably not the one you will receive. An ebay seller should say whether this strand in the photo is the one you will receive. Even a very nice quality freshwater pearl strand should be more expensive than this strand. Something is not right with this ebay listing.

These people are lying about every other pearl on their website; large free-form freshwaters are being called South sea, and the multicolor South Sea are really freshwater, so this looks like a scam.

Cyndayco,

Please, I am asking you politely, stop doing ebay searches for Tahitian pearls. What you are finding are mostly Chinese sellers listing Chinese cultured freshwater pearls as Tahitian and South Sea just like the example you gave. They are dyed. It's fraud and it is all over ebay. Some sellers don't even take photos, they use stock photos they get from somewhere, often others' websites, and you would not receive the item in the photo. You will stay confused about what you are seeing and hope you can get a bargain Tahitian pearl strand for $100.

That said, there are a few trustworthy sellers of pearls and sometimes other gems some who are members here, some are not, but their descriptions are accurate and they know pearls. Here are some~I'm sure others will mention a few more. (This is not an endorsement or comment on their prices.)

Agustus-Collection

Ehret Design Gallery

RainbowIslandPearls

Pearl Society Online

There are also a number of online sellers of Tahitian Pearls and other types of pearls, where your money will buy better quality, and you will have many more choices than at a retail store. You'll see photos of the actual pearls and be able to get an idea what the baseline prices are for baroque, ringed Tahitians or round peacock Tahitians. Here are some to check out; this is not a complete list by any means.

Pearl Paradise.com

The Pearl Outlet.com

Kamoka Pearls.com

Kojima Pearl.com

Pearlescence.co.uk

Tahitian Pearls.biz

You can research these stores and get an idea of what the price range of Tahitians are, and especially the size, color and quality you like. I hope there is a necklace of beautiful genuine Tahitian pearls in your future!

Last edited:
By coincidence, I found that same blog post early this morning. What did catch my eye was the post on the black edison pearls.

I know I'm asking a lot of the Universe...but are there black edisons out there that have a Kasumi-like texture?

Last edited:
Checking the seller's other auctions, the pearls are fake, most likely shell pearls or some substitute that doesn't look anything like the photos. This eBay seller is a fraud.

Got it, Jeremy. The vendor is struck, wiped out, erased, and banned from creeping back into my consideration set. :) Same goes for its sister accounts.

All the advice is good. If you really want to cruise around and look through lots of unknown sites, I'd at least limit it to Etsy. For the most part you will find better info and product. I go through the Tahitians listings fairly regularly to keep my fingers on the pulse of that market.

Back