Candled Natural Pearls

This is a pearl I asked about a while ago. I used a mighty brite book lamp and just my iPhone. I know I need a better camera. I did this with a couple baroque pearls I purchased recently too. I will post more photos of them shortly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 68
This one GG said was a freeform SSP. How big is the MOP bead used for SSP? I have another pearl with a black spot on it that I candled but those didn't come out so well. It was really hard to hold and photograph. I have a couple photos that are ok. So I will try again later. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 60
Nicely done!

If you put a piece of cardboard with a small hole (I've used a hole punch, and also just poked a hole with a screwdriver to make the hole) over the light, then place the pearl over the hole you'll have a much easier time visualizing the interior of the pearl. Can you prop up the light somehow so it makes the lit portion like a table?

You kids who actually post pictures are very cool! :cool:

Last edited:
So far, so good. The critical focus of the pendant could use some work, but the large piece is quite acceptable. It's very obviously a mature pearl and probably over-mature, which is a good indicator of natural pearls. More than two thirds of my naturals are over-mature.

Just being curious : how can you know that a pearl is mature, or over-mature ? Are there signs, typical features ?

I will try again tonight with the other pearls. Thank you so much for all your help :) ~d

Just being curious : how can you know that a pearl is mature, or over-mature ? Are there signs, typical features ?

Most cultured pearls are less than 3 years in age. Juvenile growth is more desirable for luster.

When harvested, most naturals are already several years old. Calcite displaces aragonite in mature adults.

This is why some pearls can be peeled to reveal highly nacreous layers.

My other pearl. GG also said this one was A freeform SS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 60
A couple more....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 63
  • pearls2
    pearls2
    5.9 KB · Views: 65
  • pearls
    pearls
    12.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 59
Right! That is probably a bead in the big pearl. That pearl joined with a spontaneous growth that looks like it has two elements. Very cool.

I have a loose blue and white "bird pearl" and a white one with diamond eyes that is a pendant. I've always assumed that the larger part has a bead because they are south sea pearls.

Thanks so much for posting these photos Dave and Charmy! So fascinating! Dave, do you have any photos of UV light on your (I shall proudly say "our", being a BC gal!) pearls? I am still trying to find more info on why pearls from different parts of the world (and different species of oysters and mussels) exhibit different colour fluorescence - can't find anything on this on the internet. I'm sure it's probably something simple.......

Dave, do you have any photos of UV light on your (I shall proudly say "our", being a BC gal!) pearls? I am still trying to find more info on why pearls from different parts of the world (and different species of oysters and mussels) exhibit different colour fluorescence - can't find anything on this on the internet. I'm sure it's probably something simple.......

Unfortunately my handheld lamp was accidentally doused in seawater and needs replacement. Although I occasionally look at pearls and shells, I don't have photos. In my work, UV light is used with reactive dyes to observe soft tissues and vascular behavior.

If my understanding is correct, Douglas has described a baseline which identifies his pearls (Pteria sterna) and rules out claims of sources from other parts of the world. For that reason alone, I should be photo documenting my pearls, in the event others attempt to co-opt my name and product. Besides that, I have a strict catalog and database system which identifies each pearl to a date and location of harvest.

That is probably a bead in the big pearl. That pearl joined with a spontaneous growth that looks like it has two elements.

Agreed. It appears to me to be regrafted with a smaller baroque pearl. The dark patch of conchiolin is proximal (close to the heart) and the smaller element is distal (furthest from the heart).

This is pretty cool. Thank you all so much, I am learning so much here. As long as I don't look into the light :)

Hello all,

I have been attempting some candling but need to buy a USB mini microscope that is compatible for a Mac. I have found 2 and wondered what people think about these two and which would be best.

URL - http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-500X-2MP-8-LED-3D-Zoom-Digital-USB-Microscope-/141091264632?

or

URL - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400567414235

I think they both have different merits and would appreciate feedback on them.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to add a few of the photos I managed to take with my camera but most showed very little.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I like the stand on the 5x-500x. Mine is similar to the microscope itself.

The stainless steel one looks interesting, but it appears more like an inspection tool for examining flat surfaces.

Back