Black pearls competition

Esther

Is there anyone who knows who is the current super quality in its black pearls industry between these three Pacific islanders, Fiji, Tahiti or Cook Islands??

This is like saying who produces the best sausages between France, Britain and America. There are many sausages, some are very good indeed, but some are rubbish in each country. You will have to define your question a little more.

Tahiti's pearls get the most notice by far, and the Cook and Fiji islands need to get people to realize they have pearls from the same kind of oysters. Comparisons do need to be made. People can get great pearls in the Cook islands and it is a less beaten path, so needs more publicity. I haven't seen pearls from Fiji that I remember, I sure would like to see some.......

As far as sausages go-LOL- we celebrate the differences! I like the hot Italian ones the best. Here in America, its the hot dog. Does that even count as a sausage? I guess hotdogs are the freshwater equivalent in pearls. LOL.

In terms of market value, pearls from Fiji command the highest prices. The colors of their pearls tend to differ from traditional Tahitian pearls and are primarily sold in Europe.

And how are the Cook Islands different from either? Cook Islands have the Poe Pipi. But they are natural. Are the colors much different than Tahiti?

I would like to know as well; so that I'll know where to sell my pearls for the best prices

Personnally I prefer sausages from Switzerland, hum ...
A close up photo of the 3 pearls together (in same standard of quality) would help making up our mind ...

Interesting post. When you have a moment, Jeremy (or anyone else who might know); how do Fiji pearls differ? (Why do they command a higher price?)

The native shell found in Fiji differs from the shell found in French Polynesia. It's the same shell, and I'm not sure whether it would be considered a sub-species or not, but the Fijian shell will often have more of an orange lip versus the traditional shell in FP. The same shell can be found in FP, but may only be 5%, while the shell in Fiji makes up more than 50% of the native wild stock. What this leads to is a color range that has a lot more of the pastels than found in French Polynesia. Also, overall the size is larger and the nacre averages 1.6 mm, vs the .8 mm in Tahiti (this is what I've been told by Justin in Fiji).

One of the reasons they are so much more valuable on the market is because Justin invited European retailers to his auctions, not just the main Japanese wholesalers. A few years ago, Gellner bought most of the production well above reserve, and has been promoting them as Fijian pearls with proven provenance primarily in Europe. They are promoted and sold not as Tahitian pearls or Pinctada margaritafera pearls, but as Fijian Pearls, specifically.

That's very interesting, thanks Jeremy,
I have seen the Fidj/Gellner harvest at last Baselworld, the range of color is amazing.
I would love to see an orange lipped shell ! Don't find any on their website.
the fact that Fidji pearls are difficult to buy (Gellner getting the whole harvest) makes them very attractive, anyway, we cannot say they are more beautiful, they are different.
The range of FP black pearls with the rich variation of overglow/ overtones makes them different but not less attractive ... my opinion..

To go further, as a consumer, I would say that the question is not that much to compare between where pearls are farmed (Fiji, Tahiti or Cook Islands) but by color/type of pearls, so I would add Sea of Cortez in the dark color pearl range.
In the same trend I would easily compare white pearls not by where they are farmed but by the final result, "white is white", freshwater and south seas pearls.
Gold pearls, I could compare Philippines, Indonesia and so and also the " tahitian gold".
Hi experts overthere:) What's your opinion?

Is there anyone who knows who is the current super quality in its black pearls industry between these three Pacific islanders, Fiji, Tahiti or Cook Islands??

Hi all, remember Australia also has grown fine quality 'blacks'

Back