beginner

treepeony

Hello,
I have been reading the various threads. I bought some strung pearls and would like to give it a go in making a necklace.
When you buy pearls with holes, do I need to worry about how big the holes are in terms of buying needles and string?
I plan to go to the local bead store and see what they have.
thanks
Jonathan

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 47
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yes, you do need to take the size of the thread and needle into consideration. These look to be medium size pearls. They are very pretty. The bead store should be helpful on that. We also have a thread or more wit h advice for setting up a stringing operation. I think it might be a sticky in this section.Good luck!

Generally speaking the more valuable the pearl, the smaller the drilling holes. Take off your pearls, check the holes and take one with you that has a small hole so you can get advice for the needle that is needed and also the size of the silk, if you use silk. If you go with Power Pro (fishing line), a 10 lbs is very thin and should be easy to get through. Look up the "Lowly Beaders Club" and you?ll find plenty to read and learn from. Good luck!

Just to confuse you, it also depends on how you are going to attach any clasp to the string of pearls. If you plan to double back and hide the knot a few pearls back in then you will have to either use silk and needle which will go through twice or enlarge those few drill holes.
Most freshwater are drilled to 0.7mm these days, tahitians can be the same, but also can be 0.8mm or even 0.9mm.
There is a bewildering choice of attachment methods to chose from (doubling back and using french wire to hide and protect the silk as it goes around the clasp is probably the classic and professional's choice) and also types of thread from straightforward silk which you double up yourself by threading a beading needle, to silk with a needle built in, or, as Jerin says, you can also use fishing line.
The good thing is that you can have a play around with all these methods and permutations of them, but the pearls will be quite happy to be re-strung differently every day until you find the way you like and your hands learn to knot (lots of different ways of doing that too!)
have fun

If you have never knotted before it can be a little daunting

I would suggest before you start knotting the pearls, get some beads about 8mm and some no 8 crochet cotton.
Both of these will help co-ordinate your knotting skills
when you feel confident enough then try the finer thread.

There is a lot of good advice on technique needle thread etc on the forum by practicing your knotting skills first, this will help in your choice of thread etc.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I have been reading and seeing some online videos for knotting. I kind of like the 2 thread method where you put on a bead, and then use both threads to make the knot. It looks like you could get the knot closer to the pearl.
For attaching the clasp, i hadn't figured out what to do for this. I saw a crimp on bead thing that you feed back into to make a loop. But the method of going back through a few pearls looks like a good way.
And of course I didn't mention that i hadn't given any thought to making the earrings and how that works.
I do a lot of other manual hobbies and when I don't know what i am doing, I ususally start by finding out "one way" to do the easiest/most efficient way to do something, which are the best tools, etc... and then just follow them.
The sticky threads are great, but in some ways there is so much information, it is hard for a beginner to know what to choose.
I am sure most of you don't remember what it is like to have no clue whatsoever, like me.
Jonathan

Jonathan,

I am sure most of you don't remember what it is like to have no clue whatsoever, like me.

Actually, there are quite a few of us who are only a tiny bit ahead of you and who have started knotting very recently, encouraged and mentored by the Pros here. I personally like the 2 thread method you mentioned. What I like is it always feels ok to ask questions and talk about problems with knotting.

Good Luck!

Hi
I use the double back method. I do not ream pearls out to do it. (I find that a real pain) Instead, I have several weights or thicknesses of thread. when in doubt, I test the proper size thread by putting the pearl over a threaded needle, then doubling back the same way. If the thread will fit through twice, I use it. Generally, for a .8 hole medium thread (or 20lb PowerPro) works fine. I have forgotten the proper size of silk, maybe a EE? Another test is to make a knot in the thread and put on a pearl. If the thread is too small, the pearl will slip right over the knot. In this case move up a size of thread --or make a double knot.

Don't try to absorb everything before you even begin. Just look up the one part you need to move along, then another part. Also that Henrietta Virchek book can teach anyone to knot in the way that comes easiest. I only use the 2 thread method precisely because you can get the knot snuggled really tight up against the pearl. Using a single thread with an awl to move the knot in place requires great care, because if the instrument slips out before the knot is tight against a pearl, it is difficult to impossible to loosen it up with the awl (or other tool) and get it moved. I tend to fray the knot when I try, so I quit that method years ago.

So start by attaching the clasp, then do the knotting, then attach the other side of the clasp trim the excess thread and you are done.

This is a question for everyone: Have any of you used the new style clam shell shaped like a V? It has a hole in the bottom for passing the thread through to the knot. The V is then squeezed shut and a ring passed through the holes in the top and through the clasp. I forget what you call those doubled rings like car keychain rings, but they would be very strong.

Hi Caitlin,
I haven?t even seen this type of clam shell yet, but the type of ring ought to be a spring ring, if your description is correct.
Where have you bought it from? Firemountain, Bella Findings or Rio Grande?

Thanks Caitlin,
I think I get it. So with the 2 thread method, the double back at the end results in 3 threads thru the last couple pearls?
Jonathan

Hi Caitlin, Pattye and others yet to meet,
I've used the double clamshell tips and have mixed feelings. They are handy for multi strands, but I really like the finished look and smoother feel of gimp. The folded ends can be a bit pokey and the old style fold over "ring" is not large enough to attach to a larger gague finding ring. I like the look of the version with the fixed circle top attachment. Ultimately, wish someone would make some real gold gimp!
(Have tried to wind my own w/ 30 ga gold filled and it is too stiff to bend nicely, darn). The search for perfection goes on.
Smiles and hugs,
Marianne

Thanks Caitlin,
I think I get it. So with the 2 thread method, the double back at the end results in 3 threads thru the last couple pearls?
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
It'll be 4 threads....
i.e. 2 threads, twice. :)

Sueki,
Got it.
Seems that it is tricky to snip that knot between the pearls, or am I being ****?
Also, what the heck is a double tip bead cup?
It looks like one would cover a crimping bead with it.
So thread goes thr the hole in the clamp. Thru the crimp bead. You crimp it, Then close the clamp and attach your clasp?
Am I remotely understanding this?
Jonathan

Last edited:
I think we're getting you confused, Jonathan. Not sure about anyone else, but I only use crimp beads when I am stringing with the plied stainless wire, such as softflex or beadalon.

With silk, I just use a tiny dab of (hypo cement) glue on the knots I have doubled back on, let dry and carefully snip the thread tail.

With the bead cup, the thread goes thru the hole in the bottom of the cup, one ties a big enough knot to make sure it can't slip back thru, adds a dab of glue, closes the cup to protect the knot and attaches the jump ring/clasp.

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan,
I can't help you with bead crimps, cups, clamps etc. as I only use French wire and doubling back through beads.
For no other reason than at my age I can only learn one new thing at a time, :eek:
and have so far been able to string everything using silk/powerpro and French wire.....

Snipping - don't snip the knot;
I take the thread through an extra pearl and then snip the end as close as possible to the pearl that it just came through. (If I'm using Powerpro I use a thread burner to cut the thread).

Snippers like these:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203329TL

Thread Burner here:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203079TL

Oh, and if, like me, you're knocking on a bit, it helps to have one of those loupes that clip onto spectacles so's you can see clearly where to snip/burn the thread..........:D

Hi Marianne
We don't see enough of you over here. Good opinion. It maybe easier for someone just learning to knot, but the gimp method is best for looks.

Back