Beautiful GSS

Wow, that certainly is some color. And they look so huge.

its hard to tell could be the pics or my monitor, but that color doesn't look natural to me. Not a bad price at all if its natural color though.

I'm thinking the color would be natural - I can't imagine that seller having anything that isn't! BTW I think it is the most stunning piece, and it is welcome to sit on my dressing table any day of the week... I have a pair of GSS earrings that are huge and a very similar colour - natural as far as I know!

Hi--No surprise, the pearls are being offered by Carolyn Ehret. I am downloading the photo (with her permission) so it will be here permanently. (otherwise the link will age off ebay and photos be lost forever.) She does actually go to Lombok to purchase pearls, and tells in the description that they cut and tested a pearl to be sure the color was natural. She has mentioned before that there are issues with dyed goldens.

Carolyn Golden SS Pearls.jpg

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pattye, I am seriously in love with that strand. I have just recently made my first purchase from Carolyn - unstrung to motivate me!

I did though just find an old thread with your pearl collection - wow, you have some lovely pieces too from Carolyn. She seems to have the most delightful way of assembling her creatons... just beautiful!

Last edited:
It doesn't say natural color in the ad, but she does not buy dyed pearls as a rule. At least I have never seen one on her site or in her cases.

Those are beautiful. It says that they cut one in half to check the color and thickness out.
I have bought South sea pearl earrings from her, and a pair of 22k disc earrings, oh and some loose freshwaters too. She has great stuff!

Whoa, now that's golden. Do they qualify as golden klonks?

Carolyn has some really beautiful designs!

Perle

One of the best things about DruzyDesign ebay site, even if you never purchase anything, are the great photos. Until Douglas from Sea of Cortez posted here, it was a source of photos of those pearls, also Kasumi pearls, and some high quality SS, etc, with great closeups showing the color and orient. A real education for me. I had purchased several pieces from Carolyn before I found this forum, and realized how fortunate I was to have happened on high quality items among all the cr*p on ebay, and now have many add'l lovely pearls from the other trusted vendors I've met here.

Just as an aside, I think Carolyn strings pearls on waxed linen, which has not been discussed at all on the stringing or thread thread.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Waxed linen is one thread I've never tried. It sounds good, though.

Thanks for the tip.

I can't find a dealer for YLI silk thread less than 50 miles from my home, so I haven't been able to try it. Maybe I can get this one online.

One of the best things about DruzyDesign ebay site, even if you never purchase anything, are the great photos.

Indeed! How I wish they are within budget! How lovely and deep the gold color is - almost the color of real gold! I have never seen a GSS that colour.

Perle, according to official definition :p some could be klonks. They are graduated from 10 - 13.6mm (clearly that last is the middle pearl).

They really do look almost like gold. She has some earrings, too, though they don't look quite as gold as these (or maybe it's just the effect of having so many together?). Beautiful!

Perle

Hi - these are my GSS that I put onto Jeremy's beautiful findings. They look stunning, but now I am wondering - are they dyed?? How would I tell - the colour looks fabulous, even, and very natural. The pearls themselves are monsters - 13.4 - 15.6mm. I went to one of Sydney's top end jewellers to try to find a comparable pair, and the colour of theirs was identical. I did find one unset pair, but 11.5 x 13.0 - still gorgeous, but this jeweller wanted over $7000 US for them "as is". Sorry for the photo quality - I'm still practising!
Pair 13 x 15mm AAA Golden South Sea Pearl Earrings.jpg

It's not always possible to tell if goldens have been dyed. Even gem labs can't always be sure. That's why Carolyn had them do a destructive test -- it's the only way to be positive that the fabulous color is real. ;)

Ouch - now I don't think I could come to sacrificing one of the earrings...

Nerida, those are so pretty! I like the slightly oval shape and, wow, they are big!

Perle

tells in the description that they cut and tested a pearl to be sure the color was natural.

I honestly didn't read it, so if they are natural in color then they are very nice.

Back