Beadalon Knot-a-bead Tool ?

Pearl Dream,

I just posted a video about the two stand japanese method under a new thread. I too use a two strand technique in tying. After watching the video, the first step looks like a stationary Awl, or needle start. Why not use two strands then pull 90 degrees to seat the knot without using the y knot placer?

Lloyd

I'm not sure what you mean about "the y knot placer". I use tweezers-- which I actually find very easy and effective. Power Pro does not slide as well as Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret thread do so I prefer using the tweezers whenever using Power Pro. With Pattye's Serafil or Beaders Secret, I did make one strand just pulling the two strands apart, but on another occasion, I broke the thread doing that-- tugged a little too hard. So, I went back to using tweezers with that thread as well.
I really don't mind the tweezers.

Last edited:
I use tweezers with a very fine point. I rarely knot these days, but one day last year a friend wanted a dainty petal pearl necklace for her mother and I whipped it out right in front of her in less than twenty minutes, gimp, clasp and all. I was as surprised as she was!

If I did more knotting, I would definitely try some new methods. The other thing is that I have a shoe box full of Griffin silk cards, different sizes and colors, and I feel like I have to use more of them before I try Power Pro or get spoiled by Beader's Secret. (Artbeads was having a great sale.) :)

Pearl Dreams - the Y knot placer is a Y shaped piece of metal just in front of the awl on the Tri Cord knotter.. after the knot is made around the awl the thread is drawn through the y shape and it helps push the knot. Hard to get right if the cord is not slippery.

GemGeek - I'm with you..I'd use up that silk ! I have a little box from a sale as well..just that I wasn't paying attention and the sizes are wrong lol

Ouch! That's one reason I have so much - I decided I need a whole lot more of the thinner threads after getting some thicker ones. At least I am ready for anything that will fit on one card's-worth of thread! :)

OK, guilty #3… I also have a box of that carded stuff courtesy of "it was such a good deal". Have used it to couch designs on bags :) It is silk after all...

Oh, Marianne, I'd love to embroider a few silk ribbon flowers and a few pearls on those bags :)

Well, me #4! BIG box of Griffin silk, many colors and sizes, plus many spools of Gudebrod silk as I panicked when I heard they were discontinuing it. AND Fujix Tire silk, lol.

Cathy, have you done much silk ribbon embroidery? It's soooo pretty! I've only dabbled a little, but it is fun! Great idea to incorporate pearls, too.

Pattye, I would not say I've done a LOT of silk ribbon embroidery, but it was a real love of mine, and I've done some very pretty things, including a bit of clothing embellishment ... haven't tried the pearls but would like to. The carpal tunnel and severe tendonitis in my thumbs and hands keeps me from doing much, especially in this cold winter weather. I'd like to go sit on a balcony somewhere warm and sunny, and embroider wisps of silk and pearls .... sigh.

Sigh, Pattye ... my view now is ... a computer screen with a snowstorm out the window LOL ... My favorite ivory linen blouse with embroidered silk ribbon white roses and green leaves on the collar went through the wash/iron cycle so many times I wore holes in ... I'm sure a few little tiny FW pearls would have survived just fine!

I'm wondering if the silk would crochet well. Is it preshrunk and colorfast? Just how much do you guys have?

Lisa C, string some tiny FW pearls on that silk and crochet a necklace :) ???

Back