Beadalon Knot-a-bead Tool ?

Hadn't seen this one-- interesting.

I just read the reviews on Amazon. Some beaders still can't get the knots close enough to the previous bead, other complain about the narrow space behind the awl, and some say the plastic V bends.

I never really could get the knot close enough when using a single thread, not even using a darning needle or awl. I need to be able to pull 2 threads apart to seat the knot.

Pearl Dreams..your snugness problem might be because your needle or awl were too big. The finer the needle the closer it will sit. Did you use the next pearl to do the final push to tighten the knot as you slide out the needle or did you finish one knot then thread on the next pearl?

Pearl Dreams- I thought when I was watching that there was not much space between the metal rod/awl and the back of the thing. It seemed like the strand was barely getting through and they didn't look like large pearls. So, I'm not surprised to read about the reviews.

As for the knotting, I always seem to use two threads anyway tho I was thinking of trying one heavier strand just to see.

I think not detailing how to end the strand, and use clasps may clue a problem. Does any one else see this as a tri-cord knotter on steroids.

The tri cord knotter and the beadalon version of it have metal parts with a wooden handle. I have to wonder how long the curved plastic section with the awl will hold up to hundreds of tension pulls of just a few strands. My tri cord knotter which I use a lot is still like new, but the beadalon version came unglued after a few uses by a child I was teaching to knot. I am not sold with the quality of beadalon's tools.

Wendy,
I thought of that, and actually used the smallest darning needle I could find, and also tried the end of my awl, which is pointed. And yes, I pushed with the next pearl (as per your video.) But it just didn't work for me. The only time I've been happy with knotting on a single thread was when I used hemp to space out various beads and didn't worry about looseness. I think it's just a lack of dexterity.

At this point, I have so many strands (not just pearls) that I just haven't felt driven to make new ones. Lately I've been playing around with wire.

I like Pattye's Serafil thread or Beader's Secret thread, doubled, for non-white pearls. I still prefer Power Pro for white pearls.

The knot does slide into position better with Pattye's Serafil and with Beader's Secret than with Power Pro.

Last edited:
Looks a bit awkward to work with. Checked out several demos-everyone working with 5 or 6 beads on their strand. What happens when you're knotting a 24 inch strand and have 18 inches done? That's a lot of pearls to be wrapping around and dropping behind for each knot. Couldn't tell if the device was weighted or not and would be stable with a heavy strand, but the only reason to use it would be if it's faster per pearl. Given the all flipping and whipping around of the strand, it did not look faster to me. Kind of reminded me of the spool knitting device I had as a kid which might be the target market for this as well.

My vote goes to Beaders Secret, double thread and big eye needles. There's nothing that can't be knotted tight and snug with that combo.

I got this when I first started knotting, it's easy to use sure, but my beads were never snug, there was always a gap between the knot and the pearls. I use it for longer bead projects when i want to get them done fast, but I have not used it for pearls in a long time. I may be doing something wrong which may be where the gap is coming from. I prefer my pearls to be tied tighter and snugger, the loose just looks like the silk has stretched and needs to be replaced. Not desirable to me.

But others may have had better luck.

I love beaders secret. I've given up silk and use it for everything. Pattye was kind enough to show us how to incorporate three strands with the exception of the clasp for larger hole pearls. The color selection has something for every need too.

I guess it has its use, e.g. for someone who is new to beading and find it difficult to pull the thread and keep it tight in one hand while sliding a needle out of the loop with the other.

DK :)

I agree, Pattey, I think these tools do attract jewelry-makers to try pearl knotting b/c it does inspire confidence. At least that was my experience a few years ago; I saw the tri-cord knotter video, and realized I could learn to knot pearls. So I bought one and was on my way. But honestly, I was never really happy with the end result and quickly gave it up for traditional methods; learned mostly from the expertise I am exposed to on this forum. So thanks folks!! I so very much appreciate your guidance, wisdom, and videos! Also, I prefer Beaders Secret, doubled, but I also use PowerPro with some applications.

SunSeeker, good point about building confidence! Interesting, too, as I've been curious about the tri-cord knotter, but happy with my 2-thread, no-tool-except-needle method. (Guess I'll go watch the tri-cord knotter video.) I agree having thread options is most important, honestly though, I don't think I could have adjusted to using this Beadalon tool, even in the beginning. (Glad Beader's Secret works for you!)

Pearl Dream,

I just posted a video about the two stand japanese method under a new thread. I too use a two strand technique in tying. After watching the video, the first step looks like a stationary Awl, or needle start. Why not use two strands then pull 90 degrees to seat the knot without using the y knot placer?

Lloyd

Back