Basra Pearls

sunjai

I have Basra pearl necklace.. weight 30 grams with clasp(around 2 grams)..Can anyone guess the value..

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0146.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 53
Sunjai,

Welcome to the forum. It's always a treat to see a Basra pearl necklace and note the baroque shapes and slight difference in colors. We are aware natural pearls generally have a higher value than cultured, but for me that is of much less interest.

What is the story of these pearls? Have they been handed down in your family?

Hello Pattye,
Thanks for appreciating the necklace..these came to my Mom in her marriage in 1956 as my maternal Grandpa was a top businessman of India and Burma.. Those days Kings in India, wealthy landlords and business men wore pure natural pearls..specially Basra.. I just received the certificate of testing from Indian reputed lab that these are natural pearls..
Thanks so much.. And i had a glimpse of your beautiful Etsy shop..
Sunjai

Sunjai, What a wonderful story of your treasured natural Basra pearl necklace! And so its value is~~priceless!

Thank you very much for the compliment on my etsy shop; which has 10th anniversary this year!

We can hope men will start wearing more pearls in the future.

What wonderful provenance. Since they are certified natural and you know their history, I agree with Pattye. They are priceless.

Although, I have the Lab report from a authentic lab , how can I value this strand. It is 143 carats..can anybody guide for a fair valuation.

I recommend checking with an auction house to see what sale price they could bring in an auction.

I met up with a company on the Hong Kong Fair from India which had nice 85-100 years old Basra pearls still in stock.
The company name is Kishore Motiwala in Jaipur. You could send them an email at pearlrealmoti@rediffmail.com

Back