Baroque Tahitians from PP!

luminous

So I got a beautiful strand of Tahitians today from PP. The luster is amazing-truly. They're just lovely. However I have a question-they're more blemished than I expected, which doesn't bother me *too* much. However about half of the blemishes look simply like a lack of nacre? Some are bumps or dents that are the same color as the pearl, which the others are just stark white and have a bit of a different texture.

They blemishes aren't huge or anything, but they are certainly noticeable if you're looking at the pearls.

I guess my question is, is this par for the course? Is that a "normal" blemish, or is this cause for concern? I'd love some feedback. I've worn pearls forever but this is my first strand of Tahitians. Thank you so much.

I definitely do not know much about Tahitians, but I will tell you that you should, one, post pictures here for the expert's opinions, and two, talk directly to PP. If you are not satisfied, I mean, if you will not love and be proud of your purchase, then I am sure that they would want the chance to remedy the situation. Good luck, and I look forward to the pictures!

Unless the Tahitians are gem grade, you can expect a variety of characteristics. Many of us love our pearls because of these characteristics. I would recommend contacting PP if you are not pleased as they have a very generous return policy and customer satisfaction is their goal.

I agree with the others, if you aren't crazy about them, why not send them back. However, if you don't have much experience with pearls then I can also understand your not being sure if your expectations are realistic or not. If you post photos of them, you might get more thoughts. It's hard to have an opinion when we haven't seen them. :)

Baroque pearls are simply going to have more irregularities than round ones. Luster goes a long way toward obscuring blemishes at social distance (about 3 ft away from you.)

Try to look at your pearls from 3 feet away. Do the elements that are troubling you still stand out? If not, then realize that other people won't notice them either. Likely they will just be wishing they owned such a lustrous strand of Tahitians. ;)

Thank you all! I posted photos elsewhere on the site, but didn't make any attempt to capture the "white" spots.

With baroque pearls I have no problems at all with the irregularities and blemishes. I actually do love them. But I wasn't expecting to see areas with what appeared to be no nacre.

I love PP and definitely know they'll bend over backwards to solve this, but I wanted to understand what I was seeing before contacting them-so I could sort out if I even WANTED to contact them! It's an amazing strand-there's no question about that. I'll grab some pictures of what I'm talking about and post them so I can get better feedback. I do appreciate it.

Okay-here are the existing photos that don't in any way show the spots I'm talking about-just the beauty! In some shots they're with my freshadamas :)

-3_zps6c2015bc.jpg

-2_zps27a0d08c.jpg

-1_zpsa46dd430.jpg

-1_zpsa9dc4388.jpg

-2_zps22b4b3e0.jpg

-3_zpsde7ed57c.jpg

To answer Pearl Dreams-no way can you see the irregularities-especially the white spots from 3 feet away. I'm not so worried about the look as I am potential for damage. I hope that makes sense.

I love ringed pearls, so these look amazing to me! Are the white spots at the stringing hole? It might be just lighter colored layer of nacre. Tahitian pearls are xrayed before export to make sure of the the nacre thickness, so it isn't the nucleus you are seeing. Lesser pearls are destroyed.

Last edited:
Can you post up-close pictures of the spots that trouble you?

Amazing pearls! Those are some gorgeous tahitians! I ordered some earrings a while back and had the same question, it seems that the consensus was that the white spots are normal blemishes for tahitians, not the bead or no-nacre. I'll try to dig up that thread...

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5777&highlight=tahitian+blemishes

thank you! I'll go read that now!
Pattye-no, they're not at the stringing hole, they're more inside the rings and they feel rough. It really just looks like a lack of nacre altogether. I'll try to get a shot, but it's not easy!

I think they look great. Ringed pearls have their own character. They do have some imperfections usually, but the colors make up for it.

They don't bother me at all-but I was worried (as was stated in the thread that was linked-thank you!) that if it was a lack of nacre they'd be more prone to damage (peeling, chipping etc.)

As far as looks go, they're hard to see. I just wanted to be sure that my purty pearls aren't at risk because I'd feel pretty awful if something happened to them that I could have prevented had I known about it.

Your Tahitian strand is absolutely lovely! Since they were purchased from PP, I definitely would not worry about quality issues.

That looks like a really gorgeous strand. The colours and lustre are great. The "imperfections" look minor and normal to me. And lastly, the shape of the pearls are wonderful.
Well done!
Linda.

OMG - that is an incredible strand of pearls. Seriously. It's normal to have a little bit of a chalky look in the low part of the rings or dimples, but I can't even see any. All I see is screaming color and luster. If you don't want it, I'll bet a huge line would form to take it off your hands. (moi included) You should go shopping for Tahitians at jewelry stores and see what you can get. That should make you feel much better. Congratulations on a serious score! :)

I can't believe how long it took me to find Tahitians. I'm so in love with everything about them. They're a dream to wear.
-7_zpsefea811e.jpg

Back