Average lifespan of an akoya vs. natural cultured pearl necklace?

Hi, what is the average lifespan of an akoya cultured pearl necklace? I realize that many factors are involved in this including:
  • care given to the pearls, i.e., keeping in a safe environment, not applying perfumes or hairspray after putting on pearl jewelry, etc.
  • where and how pearls are stored, including temperature and humidity variables
  • frequency of restringing
  • thickness of pearl nacre and other qualities of the pearl itself

For an average estate strand of medium to thick nacre cultured akoya pearls kept meticulously, in optimal conditions for temperature and humidity, what is the average lifespan of the pearls before they show signs of age? 50 years? 100 years?

Given the same set of conditions, what is the average lifespan of natural pearl jewelry, including:
  • natural saltwater/akoya pearls
  • freshwater -- examples of historic pearls are available in museums -- does this mean that, for durability a natural pearl will greatly outlast a cultured pearl and a (nowadays commonly seen) freshwater pearl could retain its beauty for hundreds of years whereas a cultured akoya could last for a few decades?

Thank you, in advance, for your insight.

Philly Pearl Phanatic, aka PPP

One factor you left out is the amount of wearing. That might be the ingle mot important factor. My mother in Law's ropes of akoyas from the 30's were worn most of the time. By the time she died, many of the pearls were worn down to the bead at the holes. That was about 60 years of wear. My mother wore natural pearls. Although some of them are worn down at the holes, there never will be a bead showing through, it will be nacre.

New cultured freshwaters are also solid nacre, but we don't have a long time framework to judge their longevity as compared to natural freshwaters. So far they seem to be doing fine. I have some CFWP that I abused with 24/7 wear for over a year. Lots of exposure to shower and dishwater, etc. they look great so far.

Thank you, Caitlin. That's right, I had left out amount of wear, and that is a big, determining factor, along with the natural acidity of the person's skin and the effects of any perfume, hair spray, or other fluids that are too acidic or alkaline being applied. I've always wondered about the effects of wearing perfume on the neck followed by putting on the pearls -- the lingering perfume can still have an effect, I think, because it is a thin layer of acid on the skin.

Thank you, Caitlin. That's right, I had left out amount of wear, and that is a big, determining factor, along with the natural acidity of the person's skin and the effects of any perfume, hair spray, or other fluids that are too acidic or alkaline being applied. I've always wondered about the effects of wearing perfume on the neck followed by putting on the pearls -- the lingering perfume can still have an effect, I think, because it is a thin layer of acid on the skin.

Yes! Acidity of the skin is more corrosive than perfume as long as the pearls are put on after the scent's alcohol evaporates. Some people have neutral skin and can wear cultured akoyas for a lifetime without damage. ;)

Besides nacre thickness, I think a major factor in approximating the lifespan of akoya pearls... that so often goes unmentioned, is bleaching.
As nearly all white pearls have been bleached, there may be no single worse element in diminishing the lifespan of a pearl. That goes for freshwater AND ocean pearls. Literally soaked in vats of bleach.
I generally tell people (in overly simple terms) : "pearls like water, they do not like chemicals"... ick who does?
Natural pearls were generally left as is, while akoya pearls in particular have endured decades of both experimental and permanent treatments..... always with the same goal :
Make the pearls white and people will buy them!!

Besides nacre thickness, I think a major factor in approximating the lifespan of akoya pearls... that so often goes unmentioned, is bleaching.
....have endured decades of both experimental and permanent treatments..... always with the same goal :
Make the pearls white and people will buy them!!

Not very PC was it?

This is where we see that, how we treat even a gemstone made by an animal, mirrors the way we treat people. It's subtle, but it's there.

Now, almost one hundred years later, we are realizing that it isn't even good for the pearls.

Back