Aunt's 30-40 Year Old Korean Pearls

kchronister

We get a fair number of inquiries on the "what kind of pearls do I have?" basis, and normally tell folks to head over here to get an expert/group opinion.

Had a first today though: someone flat out said "nope, too much trouble"... Okaaaay.

Yet I find myself curious what the group would have said... I know what -I- think they are, but would love to hear others' input too. Hey... educational value if nothing else.

This person said her Aunt bought them in Korea 30-40 years ago, and claimed they pass the 'tooth' test.

20150105_132824.jpg20150105_132905.jpg20150105_132945.jpg

Hi Kris,
Ho
Always fun, the Mystery Pearls! My guess would be cultured akoya for all. We do see those unknotted strands fairly often. How large were the pearls on the strand? The clasp is pretty with the diamond cutting and small pearl. The brooch is especially graceful.

Has some of the pearls worn down on the ends by being unknotted? I can't be sure if that is an optical illusion from the camera angle.

Again, it may be the camera angle, but it appears as if some of the pearls are almost fused together. Are the drill hole ends flattened a bit?

It looks to me like an optical illusion.

Any they sure do look like akoyas.

Hey thanks for the responses and sorry to have got all tied up with stuff this week...

I would have said "badly-restrung-but-okay/decent-quality cultured akoya" if it were up to me.

Having said that.. dayum! Someone did a worse-even-than-usual-amateur job on these with what looks like fishing line and boy-scout knots!

Back