Are these worth $600?

polaris

Hi guys,

I am trying to purchase my girlfriend a pearl necklace. My budget is around $500. I went to a reputable jewelry store and they quoted me $600 for these. They said a slightly bigger one lists for $1300, and that $600 is the lowest they can go. This is a stretch for me since my budget is $500, but if you guys think it's worth it, I might be willing to go $600 on these.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 24
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi,

If you are buying at a physical shop you will always be paying a premium for their smaller inventory compared to on-line stores, their expenses for rent and wages, etc. This is why few people on this forum buy other than on-line - even if it can be a little more tricky to judge.

While you are putting together information about the size and type of the pearls in the pictures (and preferably also about which country you are in while looking at them), I suggest spending a bit of time comparing what you can get -either same quality or same price - at some of the on-line stores listed below people's posts here.

There is also a large number of people here who'd be more than happy to advice you :) We love nothing better than help impress girl friends :)

- Karin

Based on the size of the pearls next to the dime, it looks like the pearl immediately next to the dime is about 7.9mm. (I used a simple ratio to calculate that, comparing the size of the dime and pearl in the photo with the known size of a dime in real life, and solving X for the real size of the pearl.)

If that is a center pearl it is likely a 7.5-8mm strand. (The fact that there is a huge price jump at going up a little in size is also consistent with this conclusion, as there is always a big jump with strands over 8mm.)

I count 63 pearls plus the clasp (gold?)
That would make it a 20-22 inch or so strand if you count the knots?

Polaris, if you look at this top quality ("Freshadama", earring-grade pearls) 7.5-8mm freshwater strand, it is clear that even adjusting for the added inches, you would come out ahead buying online:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-135-75-80-mm-white-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

I agree that a brick and mortar store has to charge more due to overhead. But you can stick to your budget and get an excellent strand online.

Last edited:
Based on the size of the pearls next to the dime, it looks like the pearl immediately next to the dime is about 7.9mm. (I used a simple ratio to calculate that, comparing the size of the dime and pearl in the photo with the known size of a dime in real life, and solving X for the real size of the pearl.)

If that is a center pearl it is likely a 7.5-8mm strand. (The fact that there is a huge price jump at going up a little in size is also consistent with this conclusion, as there is always a big jump with strands over 8mm.)

I count 63 pearls plus the clasp (gold?)
That would make it a 20-22 inch or so strand if you count the knots?

Polaris, if you look at this top quality ("Freshadama", earring-grade pearls) 7.5-8mm freshwater strand, it is clear that even adjusting for the added inches, you would come out ahead buying online:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-135-75-80-mm-white-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

I agree that a brick and mortar store has to charge more due to overhead. But you can stick to your budget and get an excellent strand online.

The Pearl Paradise freshadama strands are just gorgeous! I would go with this strand and then get her some earrings at the same time to match.

Back