Any experience with esty supplier chinesegemstone?

Denali

Community member
Hello, I am new to the forum and to pearls but am eager to learn as much as I can. I recently started knotting and have been searching for quality strands... Does anyone have any experience with chinesegemstone on etsy?

www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7016581

Thanks in advance :)

I am in Alaska so my local options are next to nothing. I have also looked at Pearllunar but am hesitant to buy due to shipping prices and the hassle of returns.

Well, the etsy seller you mentioned is in China also, so there is still the issue of returns and shipping.

You might take a look at IntegrityPearl.com. When you say quality, do you mean AAA rounds? Doug is a member here, but hasn't posted lately. I think he specifies which are the top graded pearls.

You might also contact Jeremy Shepherd at Pearl Paradise, as he sometimes makes special buys/offerings to the beaders here on Pearl-Guide, and request to be on the special mailing list. (That only happens only about once or twice per year.)

The other thing I was going to say--some sellers use generic photos, others take photos of the actual item, so do take note of that, as it can account for differences in what you receive.

Last edited:
Well, the etsy seller you mentioned is in China also, so there is still the issue of returns and shipping.

You might take a look at IntegrityPearl.com. When you say quality, do you mean AAA rounds? Doug is a member here, but hasn't posted lately. I think he specifies which are the top graded pearls.

You might also contact Jeremy Shepherd at Pearl Paradise, as he sometimes makes special buys/offerings to the beaders here on Pearl-Guide, and request to be on the special mailing list. (That only happens only about once or twice per year.)

The other thing I was going to say--some sellers use generic photos, others take photos of the actual item, so do take note of that, as it can account for differences in what you receive.

Yes I am looking for very round pearls of a better quality. I am very new to pearls and only have a pair of freshadama earrings and a AA+ strand of akoya pearls for reference. I have looked at PP and may just contact Jeremy Shepard as you have suggested.

Hi Denali: Just an Fyi, I have purchased quite a few things from Pearllunar and have always been very pleased and haven't needed to return anything. Their pictures are always what you receive. Also, Vienn, the owner is always open to emails and sending additional pictures if needed. I will say, however, that I have found that the pearl size are often a little smaller than stated. For example, rice pearls advertised at 9mm typically means the center pearl on the strand is 9mm but the others run from 7-8ishmm. Nevertheless, I really like some of the unusual colors they offer.

PP has generally higher quality for rounds. So if you are looking for really fine quality rounds I would go with Jeremy.

Pattye -- I haven't heard of RainbowIslandPearls. I will definitely check them out! Kate

chinesegemstone's prices seem high, but maybe their shipping is lower than some other international sellers.

I really like Inger, who sells as rainbowislandpearls. (S)he should totally join PG if that hasn't already happened. I've had good experiences with pearllunar and several other eBay sellers. James of undrilledpearls.com is a member here and has also been very helpful.

Yes Inger at Rainbowislandpearls is great. I think that she loves keshis as much as I do, and I always look there for her wonderful selections of not only keshis but other types as well.

I have dealt with pearllunar and the pearls were nice but I agree about the size being somewhat smaller that advertised.

I have decided to buy a couple strands from pearllunar to practice my knotting and then purchase some freshadamas from PP down the line :) Thanks everyone and I will let you know how it goes.

I just received my first order from Inger and I love what she sent! I got some pretty lavendar keishi and a very nice ruffled pearl that I want to try in a necklace of some sort.

I do like Pearllunar and am always pleased with the quality but have noticed the size seems smaller. I think, for me, some of it is from the fact that the pearls are shot so close up that they appear larger in my mind at least.

I have a pair of earrings from Pearllunar. The measurement and surface are exactly as described. Color isn't saturated and doesn't have prominent overtone as compared to their photos. It's an inexpensive pair, so refund is not worth it.

I have had good luck with Pearllunar, but I agree that the pearls are always smaller than listed. She does take clear photos, so pay attention to the photos and the description.

I will have to try rainbowislandpearls. I haven't used her yet.

I have also been satisfied with my strands from lillei1971, but the shipping charges are very high.

Regarding Pearllunar, I'm sorry but I may not have communicated very well. The pearls I have received have been true to size as they were listed. I do not have any concerns with them as a vendor in that aspect.

The issue is mine... When "reading" the size and looking at the photos the actual size does not always click with me. I think that 6-7mm will look the same large size I'm seeing in the closeups and then I'm momentarily taken by surprise when I actually hold them in my hand.

This is a newbie issue in that I am not skilled enough in pearls yet to know in my mind just what size the pearls are that I'm purchasing...

Julie,

I still have a little brass measure next to my computer and often "draw" out the size of bead or pearl, so I would not assume it is just a newbie issue. Sometimes a given order will still look off from what I pictured, but are accurate to the sizes given. Sometimes darker pearls will appear smaller, light colors of the same size will appear larger if viewed next to each other.

Thanks Pattye! I am trying to learn and it is helpful to have this great tip. I will adopt / adapt something similar for myself.

And thanks for the reassurance on the dark vs light colors. I bought one of TPO's daily special of a multicolor strand and I swear the white pearls are larger than the others even though the measurement difference is so small it is all in my mind! I thought I was going crazy in my advancing years! hahaha

For example, rice pearls advertised at 9mm typically means the center pearl on the strand is 9mm but the others run from 7-8ishmm. Nevertheless, I really like some of the unusual colors they offer.
This is SOP for Chinese pearls- 1-3 pearls in the center are about the size advertised, but they taper down from there. A 9mm pearl strands can have sizes as low as about.8.2mm. at the ends.

Re: Caitlin's post above, I have found that to be the case as well. But in regards to Island Bound's comments -- I have the same problem: somehow the enlarged pictures on my computer screen always lead me to think the are going to be bigger than they are. I have to remind myself all the time!

Back