Alternatives to eBay for selling pearls

yeah esty started as a venue for artisans to sell their handmade goods. and that is its charm. but there are others that are not as popular, like artfire. i liked artfire but it just doesn't have the eyeballs. etsy is still evolving which is a good thing. people are becoming more familiar with it. there are articles in the media about them. its a nice place to start even if you don't have time for a full blown website, at least open an etsy shop, if for atleast pointing people to your work online.

i think the customer on etsy is more normal. nowadays on ebay, they want everything for a low price with free shipping and they want it today. I may go back to selling on ebay one day, just to dump stock that I would otherwise have a hard time selling. You have to realize on ebay there are so many people misrepresenting things for sale there that people alot of times are just unhappy. Its the "you mean this solid gold ring with a diamond for $14.99 is not real syndrome".

I had to laugh! Ridiculous unrealistic buyers; and the gall to scream bloody murder when it arrives and lo and behold, it's NOT gold.

I think the point that UP made regarding an etsy store as a start for getting your work online is a good one. The idea of having to pay to create a web site before you might have a going concern is a bit daunting for many people. Etsy seems like a nice place to start online selling. I'm going to get on there one of these days. I've only just discovered it in the past few months.

UP what is your store name on Etsy?

Great thread and excellent advice all! I am new to the pearl selling business, and have had some success thus far at local markets. I would love to get into some private school sales but am unsure of the process. If you are still around Nerida, would you mind terribly sending me some info as well? Many thanks!

Back