Alternatives to eBay for selling pearls

Hi Gemologist,

First I do want to make it very clear this is just my opinion!

Well, first of all, there is a lot of reading to get through to realize that the "lot" for $.99 plus $3.80 shipping is for only 3 pearls. Of unknown shape and size. It should be more clear early on, or in the title. So I spend nearly $5 and get 3 pearls? Or maybe I spend a little more and buy a few more lots, still if I have a certain use in mind, I need a certain size and shape.

The photo representing the listing shows a TON of pearls. It's confusing. I have bought on ebay for over 4 years--again, this is just my opinion.

Of your photos for craft items, which are very useful to see, the one most appealing to me is the candle with all the pearls around it. How much is that going to cost approximately?

And what is "non-impregnated"?????

Do you have ads on craftster.org? I think I might have seen an ad that looks like your avatar. I think Etsy would be a good start for you, a lot of the people who are browsing/buying are looking for craft supplies. I think part of the problem might be your photos. If I didn't know you through the forum I'd probably think you were either a scammer or had a really subpar product. The photos on your site, even when you offer smaller lots all seem to be of exactly the same bunch of pearls that you just crop to make smaller when the lot is smaller. When I'm buying things like beads or pearls online I want to be able to see details and when it's the same picture for different sized-lots it puts me off a bit because I'm not sure of what exactly I'll be getting. I just checked out your website and you offer 100, 10, and single coin pearls. I think it would really help if you took a picture of just 10 pearls and one pearl on its own for those lots.

I bought pearls on Etsy and eBay before I found P-G and the quality wasn't all that great, but the pictures were clear and played a large part in my decision to purchase. THere's a big market on Etsy for jewelry making supplies, and a pretty healthy market for unfinished strands, if you do a search on their it might help you decide how to list your pearls. One other thing is that sellers on Etsy don't seem to offer 16" strands very often but 8" strands instead.

You could also try putting some photos on your website of what you can do with undrilled pearls (like that thread you had with the soaps and the frames and the candles). Crafters are definitely familiar with beads, but they might not be sure of what they can do with undrilled pearls. From what I've read, former advertisers with craftster who sell supplies ended up having a lot of success with kits. Is there any sort of kit you could put together with your pearls?

If you want to keep the website you have now you could brush up the site a bit andd make it look more professional. Appearances definitely matter on the web! I hope that helps, I've done a lot of research on selling online (I haven't actually started myself) and I spend a lot of time lurking on craftster and browsing on etsy so I've come to notice some patterns :)

What about blogs, facebook or similar sites? Do those work?

Hi Gemologist -

I agree with what other PGers are saying on the eBay question: more specific photos and clarity about exactly what will be shipped with which auction or BIN could help your sales.

Blogs can be good for self-promotion but you have to update often enough to stay at the top of a reader's list. Pure Pearls has a blog that is a nice adjunct to their online store and it gets updated just often enough. If they updated more often that would be fine but any less would be too seldom. Posting photos is a big part of the success of their blog. Wordpress is a great tool for building a blog.

Facebook is excellent for organizing and will get you some visibility - it's touchy though, from a timing point of view because everything on the web moves extremely quickly. You'll want to be certain that your other web presence and e-commerce tools (your site, eBay, and any other selling portals) are in really good shape before you go up on Facebook. The idea being that, if someone doesn't find what they think they will the first time they follow a link from your Facebook page they may very well not come back. Also, frequent updates are key to staying visible on Facebook. Frequent = every day or two.

Twitter has a good integration to Facebook and is a place where a lot of merchants are getting their message/prpoduct information out.

I read through your "Lot" listing quickly and missed the fact that a "lot" is only 3 pearls. I saw it after a second read-through. The photo also makes it seem like people are getting more. That is a recipe for buyers complaining after they receive their order (yes, buyers should read, but we know they sometimes don't.)

Three pearls is too few for a "lot" IMO, especially as there is a shipping cost. Consider offering a larger lot (15 for $5?) and photograph that quantity-- and no more. Put the quantity right in the title and again at the top of the description, in bold print so it won't be missed. Of course mention that it is a representative photo and that individual lots will vary (as you have done.)

Having said that, though. I will add that I prefer knowing exactly what I am buying (not wondering whether anything in the lot would be useful to me.) Also, I personally prefer drilled pearls. That may change if I take up crafting with pearls but for now I only string them.

Yeah, I know it seems a little confusing.. I am following the formula set down by bulk gemstone sellers. low price, but it's a price per Carot, not price for the whole lot.

Obviously it makes more sense to get more pearls. and really, I am practically giving them away because I already sold enough out of the lot to pay for the entire thing.

The issue is how to make it pop and sizzle enough to get people who weren't thinking about buying undrilled pearls today even look at the auction, while being honest about exactly what you are getting. There are so many different types of FW pearls in this lot it would be hard to seperate them out and show each one, but at the bottom of the page I have the different types.

Good idea about just doing the pictures of the lots that I am selling for the website.

I will see what I can do to work all of this great advice into my sales (without breaking the bank)

You may want to be careful of putting your pearls on eBay or a similar site. Such places are full of low quality pearls being dumped on the market by China and its neighbours. If you just want to sell low quality in bulk, then OK. But, if you want to set yourself apart and promote quality, then I would suggest getting a website. It’s not terribly expensive or difficult, but getting people to visit the site will be expensive and difficult.

Hey gemologist, how about answering my question?

And what is "non-impregnated"?????

Are you really a gemologist, or did you just pick that for your nickname??

Oh my, gemologist, you will need to have a little rethink on your wording of your ebay ads if you don't want disappointed customers.
My thoughts agree with Pattye - firstly, it is definitely not so clear that the buyer receives only three pearls. Where you say (quote) These are right out of the lot you will receive. Here is another one. (qute) you show photos of a whole bunch of pearls. No, these are not right out of the lot you will receive - the lot you will receive may come out of a group of pearls like this! Also, when you describe the pearls "baroque, keishi, cross etc" it infers to me that ALL of these pearls are in the "lot".

Your photos of your projects are lovely, but to do almost any of them, buyers would need to know what type, shape and size they will be receiving. 3 random pearls just isn't going to do much for them.

I am sure there is a market for "craft" pearls, but I think your ebay site needs a little fine tuning to reach it. Be specific, be completely obvious in what you are selling, and good luck!

Hi gemo.....

I just skimmed through your ebay ad. My first impression is too many words. I was skimming and I did not even see how many in a lot. I thought it was difficult to get engaged with your ad. When I was looking at it again, just now I still didn't see the lot size.

The lot size MUST be in the title. You are showing a photo with a mass of pearls and yet you are only going to sell 3 to a lot? That is very misleading.

There are so many different types of FW pearls in this lot it would be hard to separate them out and show each one,

Let me tell you my ebay story:
I put up a big bag of unsorted sequins for sale I started the price at 99c. Not even a nibble.

Then I sat down with a towel on a big tray and starting sorting them into piles. I did it while watching TV. After a good 6 hours total. I had 20+ different kinds, sizes, and colors of sequins and bagged each color separately. I relisted on ebay with photos of each bag of sequins. There was a bit of a bidding war and I sold them for $30+- and they were a good deal compared to buying them in a store. and I turned $00 into $30.00 with a little sorting! I am including a photo of them. Not all show in one photo so I put up 3 in my ad.

So my suggestion to you is to get a dozen boxes or so and start sorting. I guarantee it won't take you 6 hours!

If you sort, it gives you a chance to look at and handle each pearl (or as my youngest says "make friends with each pearl".. I am sure you will find some surprises with great orient or an off shape, like that singleton you have up. Sell them separately or in "matching" pairs

I suggest you sell lots of 10-15 pearls except for the best ones which you can sell separately (like the single in the photo you put up here.) I would list one type of pearl to a listing. You could even offer one bag of mixed types (say 2 of each kind) if you want. I see you are listing with a BIN price. Thats good. List each type of pearl separately.

You need to take a picture of what the lots of each type look like and let people know that it is a representative photo.

In general, I find your ebay listing full of beginner's mistakes. My impression is you are not taking it seriously. It's like you are throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. Ebay buyers are fairly sophisticated and they want to see the various things I've mentioned.

To be taken seriously as a seller, you must make an easy to read description.

I think undrilled pearls are a hard sell- I wouldn't buy any because I want drilled pearls, so your suggestions for what to do with them are good- but how did you make the coin necklace?

Attachments

• March 27 041.jpg
    March 27 041.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 58
Gemologist, there is some really great advice here. Having sold tons of pearls on eBay, I have a few suggestions to add... 1) Make it as clear as possible what the buyer will exactly be getting; 2) Offer true value that is a good as, or better than, they can get elsewhere.

If you were selling 3 really nice white coins or crosses for $1, that would be an attractive way to introduce yourself to buyers who may then become long-term customers. But if they get 3 of the rice pearls in the picture that have deep rings, you may get opposite results - it's so easy on eBay for unhappy buyers to publicly post negative feedback and quickly spoil your business!

But don't give up. Find what works, whether on eBay or elsewhere. Best wishes for your success ...

Pattye, you're in Oregon, why not check out the Ashland Shakespeare festival. You would be surprised at how many people with money show up. They also want things that harken back to the Renaissance time, ie pearl necklaces and such. Actual selling time I put in is 3 nights of 2 hours each. i clear over $900 to $1200 a week. That is for little copper Xmas ornaments. I'm told constantly to do a jewelry line. Ashland is a much bigger festival. You would have much larger crowds than I get.

Thanks, Aggie, for thinking of that! I will get some info on it. It is a huge and long festival! I think actually a couple of months! Not sure of their vendor situation, but certainly they would have something organized.

Your ornaments are lovely! And a great remembrance of a fun occasion. How long does your festival last?

We run for 11 weeks. This year it was from mid June until last night. I get to play dress up all summer and at my age it makes me look perky. I don't have to pay a vendor fee since I'm one of two artists in residence.

Woo, I love the perky part, I could REALLY use some of that!! (Heidi and Blaire, stop laughing, you're gonna snort! Same to all the rest of you who have met me in person!!) Wish I lived closer to Ashland, it is clear across the state to the south from Portland, however, still worth looking in to!

Wow - this has been such a useful and enlightening thread! Although due to kind of pearl business and location (wholesale FW pearls and China) that I am at, I may not directly benefit from the ideas that you good folks have generously exchanged to increase sales for pearls, I think I might have picked up a few ideas for my Indian Jewelry business (www.myindiastop.com) and might try them out.

It is truly amazing to think what a great team of helpful experts in various areas of pearls, from farming to designing to retailing we have on this forum, and I am so grateful.:)

A dress up fair?? That could be heaps of fun!

Another opportunity that has presented to me this week is for a Christmas Shopping Bazaar that one of our big merchant banks runs for its staff during early December - no dressups, no extra perkiness (mm, that could definitely be useful), but hopefully some comfortable bankers who desperately need gifts for their partners?

thanks so much!

thanks so much!

Gemologist, there is some really great advice here. Having sold tons of pearls on eBay, I have a few suggestions to add... 1) Make it as clear as possible what the buyer will exactly be getting; 2) Offer true value that is a good as, or better than, they can get elsewhere.

If you were selling 3 really nice white coins or crosses for $1, that would be an attractive way to introduce yourself to buyers who may then become long-term customers. But if they get 3 of the rice pearls in the picture that have deep rings, you may get opposite results - it's so easy on eBay for unhappy buyers to publicly post negative feedback and quickly spoil your business!

But don't give up. Find what works, whether on eBay or elsewhere. Best wishes for your success ...

I have been getting great advice here.

First off, no I don't want to compete with all the websites out there selling pearls for so much money that it makes my head spin. Yes you all have better quality than I do, but I think all pearls are beautiful, not just the perfectly round ones and the most expensive to produce, which is why I avoid the south sea and tahitian forums.

I know that is what the people with money demand, but I am not trying to cater to them, you all are doing a fantastic job, I have seen your sites and so many of you have great products that I would love to buy if I had unlimited funds.

But I don't, and I want to be able to get my customers some really pretty items for cheap, no they aren't heirlooms, no, they aren't a status symbol, but they are pretty, and so I have been looking for ways to get real gemstones and real pearls to the public without making them expensive.

I am a real gemologist, so I believe in using the real deal. I don't like fake stuff, blue topaz and irradiated diamonds... oy, makes me wonder why people bother with the stuff.

I don't have 50,000 to put into a small inventory online, so going high quality is out anyways, although I'll do special orders occasionally.

What I would really like to see is people who are poor be able to wear a pearl necklace that looks nice, and for people who make handmade items find uses for natural, inexpensive gemstones in their work.

Basically, I see God's hand in making pearls and gemstones and it's beautiful, I want to share that with everyone, not just those fortunate enough to have a good paying job, good credit, or a good family backing them up.

I really appreciate everyones advice on my auction here, (if I could get 3 crosses for $.99 shipped to me, I would sell them for that) otherwise, I know I am giving these pearls away for a good price, and doing my best to ensure people are happy with their purchase.

If I had a ton of money the easiest, most lucrative and most popular way to go socially, is surely to shoot for the high end stuff, but that really doesn't help anyone because there are tons of people doing it, I am willing to sacrifice to try to get some pretty, and REAL stuff into the hands of people that have thought that gemstones were out of reach.

So, I have re-listed my auction after reading the advice above, and even though I know many people reading this will automatically object to selling lower quality product and calling them wonderful, I stand by my assertions.

:)

Thanks again all!
-J

I'm reviving this thread since I've been considering to leave ebay. I just started selling on ebay few months ago, but with the high ebay and paypal fee, shipping cost which I'm giving free (anyway, they're charging fee for the shipping cost too), price war going on, I'm lucky if I'm getting any profit in the end. Not to mention the one-way feedback format (someone complained that the size is too small, even though I already mentioned the exact size which I measured with caliper).

I'm in the process of making my own website now, but once it's ready, I realize it's gonna take months before I can make first sale there. So meanwhile I'm looking for another online outlet to sell my products, anyone ever tried Amazon? The fees can be higher than ebay, but we can put higher price too since the customers there are more sophisticated in general. I'm considering etsy as well...

I second Adeline's suggestion. As a consumer, I have really liked Etsy as a place to find individual artisans and find the layout much cleaner and amenable to random browsing than ebay.

Back