Akoya or FWP's?

massrog

We just got the latest (and last for a while) addition to the collection. It combines two of her loves, Pearls and lately Amethysts
(and of course sparkles). The pearls are 6-6.5mm and the piece is 18". The clasp doubles as a brooch as well. They look like Akoyas to me but that means absolutely nothing. They need a re-string should we use synthetic or wire to better hold the weight? Can you all give me your opinions? As always thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 42
The pearls look very round and the clasp is beautiful. I would re-knot them on Pattye's Serafil thread found at PatriciaSaabDesigns on Etsy. I would not use wire.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful clasp! It looks like you wear that in the front. I agree with Marianne in using BS. It will hang better using BS.

OOOO, love the clasp. I also recommend stringing on Beader's Secret, not wire.

God knows I'm no expert, but they look like decent quality, well-matched freshwater to me. I see a few eggy shapes along the strand, and the luster seems like a soft, freshwater glow rather than that harder akoya shine. Just my two cents.

God knows I'm no expert, but they look like decent quality, well-matched freshwater to me. I see a few eggy shapes along the strand, and the luster seems like a soft, freshwater glow rather than that harder akoya shine. Just my two cents.

Thanks for weighing in Brian! That "glow" was apparent to me as well and that more than shape had me questioning what they are.

I assume you tested for grittiness and the pearls are real, then I'd guess akoyas.

It's certainly a gorgeous piece, either way :D the clasp is stunning, and I love that it can be used as a brooch. Multipurpose/convertible jewels have such a Queen Elizabeth vibe to me. Like, can't decide which tiara to wear to dinner? Bust out your tiny, monogrammed screwdriver and wear one as a necklace! So classy!

It's certainly a gorgeous piece, either way :D the clasp is stunning, and I love that it can be used as a brooch. Multipurpose/convertible jewels have such a Queen Elizabeth vibe to me. Like, can't decide which tiara to wear to dinner? Bust out your tiny, monogrammed screwdriver and wear one as a necklace! So classy!

My love of "convertible" pieces is selfish I'm afraid... hopefully fewer purchases! lol
Some years ago I had an antique diamond bracelet watch which was broken beyond repair converted to a bracelet with a "halo" center with removable/interchangeable emerald center stone with the same motivation!

Back from Long's on silk and monofilament. She loves it and just in time for the Ides of March (our 33rd) of which my brother keeps telling me to beware.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 42
It’s a gorgeous piece. I love the clasp/brooch, and the pearls are so glowy. May you both enjoy them!

Back