advice needed on purchasing Tahitian pearls

PS

Sorry, after re-reading I see there are two strands. They are both Tahitians. I can't see the surface quality in the photos, but the size, color, look ... those are both Tahitians and you did fine.

Based on the color, you actually can. The volume of production could never support it or create it. That said, it is a strand of Tahitian pearls (or at least P. margaritifera), not freshwater. I recommend not spending the money on a lab report. They aren't dyed freshwater, they look exactly like Tahitians, and there really isn't anything else they could be.

Wonderful information! So, you mean the pearls grown in WA have distinctive colors, like for instance JHunter's pearls can be different enough from JoshH's to distinguish, or
simply that the strands she posted have colors/quality similar enough to imply a Huuuuge source?

So, would a margaritafera necklace from WA have very dis-similar pearls? or always be way more expensive if they were well matched?

Last edited:
PS

Sorry, after re-reading I see there are two strands. They are both Tahitians. I can't see the surface quality in the photos, but the size, color, look ... those are both Tahitians and you did fine.

Yeah, Elenayak! :) Did you see that? Someone who knows exactly what he's talking about...

- Karin

Lol, Karin, give me a little credit, I spoke up in favor of Tahitians, (I'm just teasing you, of course.)

"To me, the necklaces look more like very well matched Tahitians than dyed freshwater. "

Elena, now you and sis can wear your pearls with peace of mind~

You didn't insist they were Tahitians and tell her to drop the testing, did you? :D We'll leave that to the big timers, right? :)

- Karin

I'm glad you don't have to run tests, OP. Just relax and enjoy your pearls now.

This thread was very informative! Thanks to everyone who shared information for educating us.

You didn't insist they were Tahitians and tell her to drop the testing, did you? :D We'll leave that to the big timers, right? :)

- Karin

I have just recieved a negative reputation on this post with the comment "gratuitously nasty about Pattye". This makes me feel really bad. It was never my intention to be nasty though I can see how, in writing only, it could be misunderstood. I appologize, Pattye!

What I meant, and should have written in as many words, is that to me it was a relief that someone who handles millions of pearls was able to step in and settle the matter. I found this case almost a little scary. So much was at stake. Yes, Pattye voted for Tahitians, and yes, she was right. I still think it took someone with immense experience with pearls to be able to say with confidence that they didn't need testing. I think you were wise, Pattye, not to voice an oppinion about whether or not they needed testing even though your experience told you they were the real deal.

- Karin

How can something be nasty when it has ingratiating smiley faces in it? :) :) :)

Don't fret too much about it, KarinK, I knew you were teasing in good fun, and I think probably most other readers did as well.

It's true that sometimes things are misunderstood because tone doesn't convey well in writing-- hence the emoticons! :rolleyes:

Relying on photos reproduced on a screen, whose colors are not as shuttle as your eyes could end up being a fools game. All cameras and lenses and digital equipment handle the same color differently. When you are looking for certain shuttle shades only do it in person with people you trust. Vendors who will exchange or enquire on your behalf and bring in merchandise for you to see in person. Fine pearls are to varied to be purchased on line. Purchasing from a vendor across the globe opens you and others to all sorts of fraud. I am not saying it happened but there are incidents every day..Besides looking in person is more fun and you will meet interesting people.

an update and a question

an update and a question

PS

Thank you very much to everyone for advise on pearls purchased from "Dranix", it was very helpful. Just as an update, we had one of the 2 strands looked at GIA before receiving an opinion from Jeremy. The report came back in January(it took a really long time!). But here are the results for the peacock strand. "Bead cultured pearls, environment - saltwater; mollusk - Pincada margaritifera; treatment - no indication of treatment; shape- near-round; body color - green grey, Natural; overtone - pink; luster - very good; surface - clean; matching - good." "Average nacre thickness - 0.94mm. The typical nacre thickness range for cultured pearls grown in the Pinctada margaritifera pearl oyster is 0.80 mm to 2.50 mm. Polished"
I do not really understand the word "polished". Would it mean that my pearls are polished or typical pearls are polished? And are Tahitian pearls are polished?

Elena,

The lab would have been able to identify that your pearls were polished when they looked at them under extreme magnification. Polishing is NOT considered a "treatment" which would need to be disclosed at time of purchase. Many kinds of pearls are often polished to improve their luster.

You got a very satisfactory report on a beautiful pearl strand, in my opinion.

Polishing is a routine process, in much the same way as drilling is a routine process for strands of pearls. It is much the same as buffing your fingernails. It doesn't mean there is a thick layer of polish pretending to be lustre.

image.jpg
And I forgot to mention that gold and diamonds also turned out to be real.

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your gorgeous pearls and wear them in good health! I sure wish I sat opposite you so I could enjoy looking at the strand around your neck!

Wonderful pearls! So beautiful! :)

I went back over the thread and I did want to address something brought up about appraisals. There is some cost difference if the item is very expensive as the appraiser's liability risk goes up. That said, it isn't usually a direct percentage of the appraised cost, which would indeed be a conflict of interest and there was a time when that was standard. That is not right. Some charge a flat fee of X dollars for a diamond under 5 carats or XX for a diamond over 5 carats, plus X per hour of research time. If you need a trustworthy appraiser, I can recommend the members of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers - http://www.najaappraisers.com

Don't be afraid to ask an appraiser for an estimate or how they will arrive at the final charge as some jewelry requires extra research. New pearls should not be a problem for a good appraiser. :)

Back