A permanent fix needed

CharmedOne

Hi All!

I figured this was the best place to ask. I buy a lot of vintage pieces, so it's not easy to get them repaired. My pieces usually come back nothing like they received them. So I'm hoping maybe you nice folks can help me fix this. I will attach the original photos so you can get an idea of what I was going for. The original bracelet was elastic with sandalwood beads (which I was allergic to) and gold and diamond charms. I also bought a pendant that sort of matched and came from the same estate, just gorgeous! Anyways, my plan was to replace the wooden beads with pinkish pearls. I bought a couple strands at a bead store that didn't work. My main issue being the drill holes, they were too small for the elastic to thread through. I am really looking for pearls similar to the pink ones in the photo but bigger and bigger drill holes. Since I couldn't find them, I went with onyx beads. I love the bracelet but I would like it a little softer so to speak. Is there a way to make sure the drill holes are big enough or maybe a thinner stronger elastic?

My second problem is one of my charms broke it appears the gold was thread through and a small gold bead melted on the bottom. It was also glued. Is there a strong glue you can suggest that will hold the smokey quartz ball back on the gold stem? It looks like the gold stem broke about half way down in the bead. Should I try to get the other part out of the bead? It appears to be very set in there though. If you know of a strong durable glue to suggest. I would appreciate it. Not sure we're to go from here. Thanks so much. ~d

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Added 7 new pearls to this necklace today - pearls about 12mm Freshwater HK - silver clasp with base
    Added 7 new pearls to this necklace today - pearls about 12mm Freshwater HK - silver clasp with base
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
About the pink pearls, you could still go with pearls and widen the drill holes yourself with a hand held, battery operated bead reamer. It's easy. You hold the pearl in a bowl of water as you ream, as this lubricates the drill and clears out the pearl dust as you go.

This is the one I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bead-Ho...aders-Tools-/400353302579?hash=item5d36ea9833

About the charm, I wonder if it isn't actually drilled all the way through and the bead is actually the end of a head pin? And maybe the head pin broke in the middle? Unless you want the little bead removed, I'd leave it alone. It matches the other charms. Besides, if you remove it, it could leave a drill hole exposed. But if you do want to remove it, soak the bead in Attack (a solvent.)

To glue the bead back on the stem, use a two-part clear epoxy.

PD, you are absolutely right. It is a head pin that broke in the middle. I will buy the bead reamer you suggested and go back to the bead store to look for the two part epoxy. Do you buy pearls from the art bead website you suggested to me? I'm looking for pink or white pearls about 7 - 8MM. Thank you PD, you have always been so helpful.

I've never bought any real pearls from Artbeads, just a few Swarovski imitation ones.

If it is a head pin that has broken in the middle, and that was attached to the cap by a wire-wrapped loop (can't tell from your photos), the most secure approach would be to to replace the head pin entirely. It is not hard to make a wrapped loop-- you need round-nose pliers to do it. Lots of videos on YouTube showing technique.

Basic wire-wrapping is something that, IMO, anyone who enjoys beading owes it to themselves to learn (practicing on cheap wire and headpins to avoid wasting money.) You can easily learn to make your own charms, dangles, pendants, clasps, ear wires, etc.

Charmed One, those charms are exquisite! and please excuse me while I go a little bit off topic.

PD one of my daughters wants to macrame some necklaces with pearls. She uses carpet thread which comes in almost as many colors as embroidery thread. It is too big for most pearls so she needs something to ream them one size larger, maybe 1/2 mm, which is the same size as the larger elastic threads. Would the above tool work for so many pearls? How long does the reamer part last? Can you order more of the reamer parts?

Anyone, I also have a dremel that plugs in, but I have no idea what size drill thing to use or get. I don't have one that small .5mm. I don't even know what they are called- the interchangeable part. The dremel, with a lot of tools ,goes for about $40.00 but it has so many parts it comes in a small satchel, which I find awkward to store and access, compared to that cute little reamer.

Thank you so much Caitlin! I do love them so :D

PD, It looks like they made the charm altogether with the pin part and then added the bead and then melted the gold at the end of the bead in to a ball, if that makes sense? The pin part coming out of the gold part is all soldered together, so when I look down into the crown, it's just gold and I can't take the pin out to replace it. Should I just take a chance on a jeweler to fix it or do you think the epoxy would hold? Thanks again PD. ~d

Like royalty! It probably was soldered. Have you thought of using tbread to sew it back on? You could put a small bead to keep it in place. Does that make sense?

Art beads has commercial grade pearls. Not that round and variable luster. They are good and fast for findings though; I have used them for almost 10 years and never had a problem. Do you have a bead shop in your area? They usually carry the same quality pearls as artbeads, but you can pick and choose the best luster etc at a shop.

GemGeek, Thank you very much. ;) What is tbread? I googled it and came up empty :confused:

Caitlin, I would like nicer pearls. I am new to pearls and thought that I could buy nice ones from there. The pearls at the bead shop are just the ones in the photo nothing fancy. I thought they were all the same until I found this forum.

There are some good places to buy good pearls. One of the best and most fun is to go to bead shows and gem faires that come to a town near you. Gem faires and bead shows are advertised in local papers, and their agendas often get into bead magazines and suchlike.

I think you can make deals with most anyone on this forum who retails pearls to get unstrung strands. You might even get someone to "shop" for you if you want something other than round. The members with small retail businesses go to these gem shows where there will be a seller or two who sell really good pearls. For instance the highly touted John Tu's pearls are on one circuit that several members can and do access.

CharmedOne, perhaps the artist who made the bracelet used a cap with a pin soldered on at the top, gluing it in, but used fully drilled beads instead of half-drilled-- which would have left them with a hole to conceal at the bottom of the bead.

They could have filled this by using head pins with a ball head (like these: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ll+head.TRS0&_nkw=head+pin+ball+head&_sacat=0)

They would have trimmed the head pin short so it would just stick into the bottom drill hole a short way, then glue it in place with epoxy. Just an idea of what might have been done based on what you describe.

Also, I think it's safe to say the word "tbread" was just a typo for "thread."

Caitlin, I have not yet had to replace my drill bits so have not gone looking to see if they sell replacements. I'm not sure how many pearls one would have to drill before the bits wore out, but to be honest, I would probably just replace the drill anyway. It is not costly and the motor will wear out anyway someday.

Okay, Caitlin, I think I may have found a reamer that may be better for someone who wants to drill out lots of pearls and needs replacement bits to be available:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SHG4-BR213.html

BeadSmith BR213 Electric Bead Reamer

This one has an AC adaptor and they list parts separately. (I wonder if the replacement bits would also fit the sleeve of the less expensive battery one I use? I may email and ask them-- certainly the parts look the same.)

They have an eBay store (click the eBay link on their web page) but this item isn't listed.

LOL :) Boy do I feel silly now. Thread does make sense. Oh well, With all the shortcuts, abbreviations and very little sleep, I honestly thought it was an unfamiliar term for something. I do see what you are saying though. I bought the glue but now I'm thinking I may see what a jeweler would think about it. I really want to try the glue but I'm afraid I may lose the bead if the glue isn't strong enough. Thanks so much ~d

Earlier this year I ordered the 10 pc diamond replacement reamers from this company, sorry to report they are very poor quality. The ones from Rio Grande are more expensive, but worth it. The Beadsmith reamer itself and the bits that come with it may be fine; I have an electric one (different brand) that works pretty well.

Okay, Caitlin, I think I may have found a reamer that may be better for someone who wants to drill out lots of pearls and needs replacement bits to be available:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SHG4-BR213.html

BeadSmith BR213 Electric Bead Reamer

This one has an AC adaptor and they list parts separately. (I wonder if the replacement bits would also fit the sleeve of the less expensive battery one I use? I may email and ask them-- certainly the parts look the same.)

They have an eBay store (click the eBay link on their web page) but this item isn't listed.

Thanks PD. That looks about right for my daughter who is visiting right now, so I'll show it to her.

Pattye, I love Rio Grande- I never thought I'd get into any sort of drill for myself, but I know their replacements would be good.

Back