A new type of pearl!

Jeremy, Please would you post some photos for us to admire and encourage creativity?

"Edison" is worse than meaningless, to me. It makes me think of light bulbs. That is not good. "Ripples", however (failed Edisons, as Jeremy and I discussed via email) works perfectly as a name. They are ripply, they are fun, they are terrific everyday pearls.

The pearls remind me of lava. I think Pele is the goddess of volcanoes.

Wow! HUGE TAHITIAN PEARLS. Bad timing for me...I have been "released from bondage" just hours ago. I knew exactly what those are because....because...we also have those "magical blue beads" and we will try to use them this upcoming (2014-2015) pearl seeding season.

I will call my BIG (will never be as HUGE as these) Cortez Pearls..."Einstein Pearls" ;)

So great to catch up again!

This is a photo of the beads...not round as you can see. Seikaku Gel Nuclei - Ange (Copy).jpg

Douglas, thanks for showing the "blue pills"! I look forward to your harvest using these beads.

So, Douglas, These new blue Einstein pearls are going to be relatively huge? With the beauty and colors of your pearls, this should be a smashing success!

I would like to nominate "Rococo" as the name for these new pearls. Rococo is a form of baroque, and while it means more ornamental rather than huge, who knows how fancy these new pearls might become? Anyhow, I think Rococo just sounds cool and desirable.

I just asked my husband what he thought of when I said Rococo pearl, and he said he thought of something bumpy. Not bad, I thought. When I described the pearl to him, he offered "Godzilla" pearl as a possible name. It's Japanese, and it is the world's most famous monster, so fitting for a monster pearl.

In my opinion, if you cannot touch the pearl, it's still going to be "Baroque" since there's no way to distinguish the physical appearance. However, because the only distinguishable features would be the weight, I do believe that the name should have a name that reflects the newly-observed weight while the name - "Baroque" would still be there.

In my opinion, if you cannot touch the pearl, it's still going to be "Baroque" since there's no way to distinguish the physical appearance. However, because the only distinguishable features would be the weight, I do believe that the name should have a name that reflects the newly-observed weight while the name - "Baroque" would still be there.

So, Monster Baroque, perhaps?

While the pearls huge, so are other types like fireballs, for example. I still like rococo- it sounds like a self confident, jazzy, flirtatious dance.

Rococo, in a historical sense, from wikipedia (oh font of all knowledge!), Rococo is the later Baroque period, or one might say *post-baroque*. which these pearls definitely are, in the way that *post-modern* draws from modern, yet transforms and transcends it.

definitionally, and also from wikipedia, "The word Rococo is seen as a combination of the French rocaille, meaning stone, and coquilles, meaning shell, due to reliance on these objects as motifs of decoration.[3] The term Rococo may also be interpreted as a combination of the Italian word "barocco" (an irregularly shaped pearl, possibly the source of the word "baroque") and the French "rocaille" (a popular form of garden or interior ornamentation using shells and pebbles), and may be used to describe the refined and fanciful style that became fashionable in parts of Europe during the eighteenth century."

what more fitting term than rock-pearls! or, Rococo!

Last edited:
I like "Roccoc?"!

Wish my future pearls will be as large as the Tahitians but I am guessing no.
Have you ever seen the pearl sac of a Pteria sterna oyster? It might be the tiniest of all pearl oysters, and the animal itself is just "medium-sized" (max. diameter 14 cm, average is 11 cm at harvest size, so just between an Akoya and a Black-lip).

Still, if we are able of producing more 12mm and then pump up to 14-16-18 mm this will be very good. We still have a couple more years ahead to show the results...this does take time.

Godzilla Pearls - I wish! I still like Provoked Baroques, probably because it rhymes and it's accurate. I can see that neither of these gives one an image of beauty.
To me, Roccoco conjures up old and ornate. It's a beautiful word, but these pearls are the newest thing. Not that I can think of anything better. Cloud Pearls?

Back