A Kamoka Pearl for only $10? - Maybe....

KauaiAnne

I just ran across this after reading about Passports With Purpose in the New York Times. For each $10 donation - which will be used to build a school in Cambodia - the donor can enter to win a prize donated by the sponsor of a travel blogger.
http://www.passportswithpurpose.com/donate.html

Scroll down near the bottom in the "other" prize category and you will find that one of the prizes offered is a Tahitian pearl from Kamoka farm. It comes courtesy of travel writer Celeste Brash and her sponsor/husband Josh.

More about this fundraising program and a photo of the winning Kamoka pearl from Celeste can be found here: http://coconutradio.blogspot.com/search/label/tahitian pearl

I'm pretty sure this will be the only time a Kamoka pearl can be had for a mere $10. Wouldn't it be great if a P-G-er that won it? But you'll have to beat me. Hurry, entries are accepted only through Dec. 21st.

I spent the entire holidays working on a pile of deadlines and just settled with some double espressos to get me through the night when I received an email about a certain Tahitian pearl traveling to Houston. I usually never win anything, so maybe this is an omen for better thing to come?

Hey Ramona that's great! I donated and forgot all about it, so I just went and check my email. I won 2 nights at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City! Like you, I'm hoping this is a sign of good things coming for the New Year. But even better, I read that the campaign received $27,000 in donations - more than twice their goal of 13,000. You can read on their site how the extra money will benefit the children of Cambodia and add to the school they are building. I'm happy to win one of the prizes, but I am overjoyed to be a small part of such a wonderful endeavor, and play to continue contributing to their efforts. Once again something awesome coming from this forum.

Oh, I'm envious! I was so hoping I'd get the Kamoka pearl. But I'm glad a P-Ger got it. And more glad the new school in Cambodia is going to have lightbulbs and a garden. Maybe I just get good karma.

Happy New Year, everyone.

The outreach of this forum is tremendous and I am sure that your posting, KauaiAnne, had much to do with the doubling of the donations. Thoughtful of you.

We really need an acronym for HOOORAY!!!!!
I'm sitting here at my computer with a big smile on my face. The pearl that our very own Ramona won is sitting in front of me. I've just arrived in the US, indirectly on way to Tucson for the show this weekend. We have been waiting on the contest organizers to tell us where to send the pearl. This was a really great cause and a HUGE thanks goes out to everyone who participated. $27,000 is going to do some amazing things for kids who really need it. THANKS!

IT'S BACK! The chance to win a Kamoka pearl for $10. Go here NOW because today is the deadline: http://www.passportswithpurpose.com/donate/
Sorry for the last minute notice, but this got away from me and I only just now got an email reminder from Passports With Purpose. This year, their charitable project is building housing in India. Last year, a P-Ger won the pearl. Let's see if we can pull that off again.

Ready, aim, donate!

I can hardly believe it-- I just got the email that tells me I won the pearl! It is gorgeous-- and it will be my first-ever Tahitian!

The photo is here (see post for Tuesday November 16, 2010):
http://coconutradio.blogspot.com/2010/11/pearl-for-passports-with-purpose-round.html

KauaiAnne, you are a gem for posting about this.

Thanks to Kamoka for donating this beautiful pearl! The colors are to die for. It will make a fantastic pendant! I'll be sure to post photos when it arrives and after it's been made into a pendant. My husband does metalsmithing as a hobby and I am sure he will help me with this.

Is that a drill hole across the top?

Last edited:
The email also stated:

"Working with people like you, we raised over 58,000 USD for LAFTI International. 25 families will now have homes, thanks to your participation."

That is more than double what they raised last year!

Congratulations, it is good to know that a PGer got that beautiful pearl.

Skunked again this year! LOL and ;-)

I couldn't be happier for you, Pearl Dreams. And so good to keep this in the P-G family. The real winners are the people of Karunganni in Tamil Nadu, India, who will get affordable homes built for them by LAFTI. Thanks to all P-Gers who participated. (I work for Habitat for Humanity, so this one was close to my heart.)

Thanks newberry and KauaiAnne!

You are a very good sport about this, KauaiAnne! Just think of how many more donations were made, just because you posted the information and the link.
I'm glad all those homes will be built, too.

The gorgeous pearl arrived today! Too late to take photos in natural light, though-- tomorrow I'll take photos and post them.

While we were waiting for my pearl to arrive, my husband bought himself a similarly colored, undrilled Tahitian to make a necklace on a leather cord for himself, so we'd match.

Any suggestions about how to go about getting the two pearls drilled? Are local jewelers likely to be equipped to do this? (I wouldn't have thought so.)

Back