$500, white freshwater pearl strand, need advice!

Hi all,

I need to buy my mom a nice strand of pearls for her birthday (she is turning 52). I've been reading this forum for a while and came to the conclusion that freshwater pearls would work best for me (i.e. for my mom)

So what I want to buy is:
1. white freshwater pearls;
2. 18 inch strand.

Of course I would like them to be the highest quality in the price range (I guess AA+, AAA).

My budget is around $500 (+/-). I started my research at Macy's but then I switched to Pearl Paradise, and I think this is where I'm going to buy my pearls.

So this is what I ended up with at the end:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace544.aspx

Basically my question is if it is the best choice in the price range (quality and size wise) or it would make sense to look at something else?
And should I stick with FWP or I should take a closer look at Akoya (if I can do that not increasing the budget dramatically)?

I would really appreciate any help or advice. Her Bday is in the end of Jan, and I'm running out of time to make a final decision:)

Thanks!

If you want the highest quality freshwater pearls, look at the the freshadamas. Otherwise, the ones you picked are top quality for the price.

The link you posted shows the AAA 8-9mm 18 inch strand as $422 (using the drop down menu), so that is certainly the best quality for that size in your price range. Consider getting a matched pair of 8-9mm pearl studs at the same time (the advantage is they can be matched best if both are bought at the same time.) The round AAA studs in this link are $92: http://www.pearlparadise.com/8090-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Stud-Earrings480.aspx

To get 18" Freshadamas within your price range you would need to drop down to 7.5-8mm size. I wouldn't do that unless your mother is quite petite. We tend to like larger pearls as we get older.

The link you posted shows the AAA 8-9mm 18 inch strand as $422

Yes, this is exactly what I have chosen! Thank you for the advice about the studs, I can definitely get these and still will be within the budget. My mom is not really petite so that's why I have decided to go with larger pearls of a little less quality (compared to Freshadamas).

So all in all it seems like the pearls from the first link (and the studs) is what I'm going to go with.

Thank you very much for your help!

Perfect size! And I agree that you should get earrings. A lovely set that your Mom can be proud to wear. Also, it's no small thing to get bragging rights that your child gave you something fabulous. :)

Just placed my order! Hopefully will receive it shortly, pretty excited about that!

And thanks again!

Back