Are these Tahitians or South Sea?

GreenBling

Hi,

First post and newbie to pearls. Have joined this forum to learn more about Tahitian pearls, especially how to evaluate luster and colors.

I have made quite a few purchases over the years, some bad some good. I have purchased a pair of earrings several years ago but have forgotten if they were SS or Tahitians. They are very very slightly off round with no dimple or scratches. I think they are Tahitians but then they don't have the mirror shine as seen on others' posts. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me what type pearl it is, what color would you call it and how you would rate the luster.

Thank you!

20160103_172847.jpg

Welcome! Given the choices you suggested, SS or Tahitians, they do appear to be Tahitians. It's difficult to tell the color from your photo; they might fall into the "silver" color range, rather than dark charcoal. They may be a middle grade, which might not have the highest luster or bright overtones, but still are pretty and valued pearls. The colorful Tahitians you see in other posts here have been chosen for their top luster and color.

What size are your earrings?

Hi GreenBling!

They look like silver colored Tahitians to me in that photo. Luster does vary from pearl to pearl (this is true with all types of pearls), but the softer luster is also attractive.

Hi GreenBling!

They look like silver colored Tahitians to me in that photo. Luster does vary from pearl to pearl (this is true with all types of pearls), but the softer luster is also attractive.

That's my vote. Looks like silver Tahitian pearls. Definitely not South Sea

Thank you all. They are around 10mm Pattye. Did not know how lusterous and colorful tahitians could be when bought these, but I do like how I can see grey, silver and even a hint of green in these babies. Tahitians are just mesmerizing.

A beautiful set of pearls. Yes, they look like Tahitians to me, in the Lighter color mix.

Thank you all. They are around 10mm Pattye. Did not know how lusterous and colorful tahitians could be when bought these, but I do like how I can see grey, silver and even a hint of green in these babies. Tahitians are just mesmerizing.

What a great size for classic studs! Photos rarely do justice to most pearls, especially Tahitians with subtle colors and overtones. Plus they change with the light, showing multiple personalities!

Thanks for the compliments. Magical! Yes, tahitians are really magical JerseyPearl. Here are the earshots Pattye. Piercing is high on big fat lobes, so i think I can go as big as 13mm ��. And Jac, this is definitely my color. Learning what other colors might work too.
20160207_102127.jpg
20160207_101431.jpg

They are definitely not too big! (I have high piercings on big lobes too.)

Thank you for your vote of confidence in the color choice! I long for a tahitian necklace but could not decide on colors. Love aubergine and peacock but after looking at hundreds of photos, and thanks to JerseyPearl's request for earshot which got me to see colors more objectively, i think I am now leaning towards lighter colors. Also hoping to get a pair of biggish edison earrings.;)

I think you look fabulous in those earrings and they are beautiful. I have a 9mm pair in a very similar color and luster and I always got compliments when I wore them. I swapped them onto some fancier dangle earrings and don't wear them much now. That might have been a mistake, looking back. :)

Back