First Purchase-What Quality or Any Info on?

SMDill

This is my first pearl purchase. I found these at a very reputable consignment store. They had no history on them from the owner. They labeled them as Freshwater, 16”, 8.6mm. H 925 China on side of push clasp. Says Base metal bottom on bottom of clasp. Gritty when rubbed together. A couple pearls have a slight dimple. Paid $147 for. I would love any information on type of freshwater pearl, quality, value, and brand if identifiable. Hoping I did okay with this purchase!

E5E4E044-5A5F-4E27-A8AB-72C18A506BFA.jpeg
F5F95E95-5614-4955-B1B7-08E5CF8F8CB5.jpeg
7F67D778-4239-4D15-B14F-82E42091D804.jpeg
2E48ACED-B892-4FF2-8C49-2BE9808980E7.jpeg
33C794E4-8F9C-4C36-94AF-1EB1BAE927DB.jpeg
C98E21AC-C371-43F6-9FB2-7A0537278149.jpeg

Great photos!

These are an unbranded strand of freshwater pearls from China. The eggy/"potato" shapes are typical of older FW pearls that have no bead inside, and were more common about 10-15 years ago than they are now; the Chinese have improved their culturing techniques and are able to produce rounder pearls now, including truly round pearls with a bead inside.

The luster is good and the pearls seem well-matched for luster, color and shape. The surface looks quite clean of blemishes. They are a nice size for everyday wear. The clasp is a secure kind of clasp that is easy to operate. The knots are snug and there are no gaps between pearls; the thread appears clean. They don't need to be restrung (as is often the case with pre-owned pearls.)

All in all, the necklace has a lot of things going for it, provided you like the eggy shapes-- and I assume you do since you bought it!

I think you did okay. Enjoy wearing it! How about a neck shot? :)

Thank you for taking the time to share this information with me. I started looking into pearls just two weeks ago when my mom told me that the dress I was wearing to an event called for pearls. I never considered myself a Pearl person, but I believe that has now changed. I find them very interesting and beautiful. My budget doesn’t allow for a big splurge which is how I wound up looking at used options. This particular strand was available immediately, pretty to my eye, and a price I could work with. I realized the shape wasn’t perfect, but perfect is pricier. I am going to spend some more time studying up and keep my eye on my favorite consignment shops! Thank you again!

1st photo was in the shop before I cleaned them. My daughter had earrings that were a very close match!
9D441043-6936-4A57-A9FE-0D6829F1340E.jpeg
2B9A8617-1C31-4717-8AF3-F4A66FD8BF28.jpeg

The H on the clasp and H 925 actually represent Honora Pearls. You'll find lots of info about this company online. As Pearl Dreams mentioned, you have solid nacre pearls are they are well matched and lovely! Another plus is this pinch clasp is much easier to work compared to a fish hook clasp.

The H on the clasp and H 925 actually represent Honora Pearls. You'll find lots of info about this company online. As Pearl Dreams mentioned, you have solid nacre pearls are they are well matched and lovely! Another plus is this pinch clasp is much easier to work compared to a fish hook clasp.
Thank you! I’m looking forward to reading up on the company.

I did not know that, Pattye-- and I own several strands of Honora pearls. But not with that clasp; just with a lobster claw clasp.

I think you did well with your purchase, plus they look lovely on you!

Thank you for taking the time to share this information with me. I started looking into pearls just two weeks ago when my mom told me that the dress I was wearing to an event called for pearls. I never considered myself a Pearl person, but I believe that has now changed. I find them very interesting and beautiful. My budget doesn’t allow for a big splurge which is how I wound up looking at used options. This particular strand was available immediately, pretty to my eye, and a price I could work with. I realized the shape wasn’t perfect, but perfect is pricier. I am going to spend some more time studying up and keep my eye on my favorite consignment shops! Thank you again!

1st photo was in the shop before I cleaned them. My daughter had earrings that were a very close match!
View attachment 468095View attachment 468096
You look lovely and your pearls look great! I am certain that no one was peeking at whether your pearls were perfect or not. :)

Pattye may know better than I, but I think? that clasp was used on Honora's higher end pearl necklaces. Your necklace SMDill, is a very big splurge look on you; well chosen :)

Pattye may know better than I, but I think? that clasp was used on Honora's higher end pearl necklaces. Your necklace SMDill, is a very big splurge look on you; well chosen :)
Cathy, yes, I think that's correct. I watched a lot of QVC back in the days, though none of my Honora pearls had that particular clasp. I do give Honora credit for educating so many about freshwater pearls and making us feel we could buy pearl jewelry for ourselves.

Last edited:
Agreed Pattye! It was Joel of Honora chattering about Keshi pearls on QVC that made me think "Hmmm ... I don't understand that?", made me type "Keshi pearl" into the internet, sending me straight to Pearl-Guide.com and ... we all know how that is going LOL ...

Back