Opinions on these necklaces? Pearls and Angel Skin Coral.

TahitianDreamin

Hey all

I have so many things I have to ask you guys about but I will start with these:

IMG_4313.jpg

There are four necklaces. The white one I am 99 percent sure is fwp and has a 10k ring clasp. The big black one I bought separate from the other three, which were purchased in the same lot, and those pearls range in size from 8 to 12 mm. I bought that one from a guy in Japan and it has a silver clasp (a pretty cool functioning clasp imo as well!) Do those look like dyed akoya? They are SO bossy on. The "angel skin coral" which I know nothing about, has a 14k gold clasp and fwp (?) and I haven't tested the beads yet but they look like they might be discoloring the white pearls a bit so I think they might be brass. I will test them just not tonight. The smaller of the black necklaces has a 14k clasp and the pearls are about 7mm. Could the weensy pearls on the angel skin coral necklace be natural? They are way tiny and super weird looking. The lot of three necklaces came from Texas. Also do you think either of those black necklaces are tahitians, fwp, or akoya? I have NO idea.

You guys are awesome again thank you. :)

IMG_4314.jpg
IMG_4316.jpg
IMG_4315.jpg

The small black pearls look like dyed fwp -- they are bit eggy in the first photo.
The large dark pearls look like Tahitians to me. The blemishes look like the ones seen on Tahitians. 12mm is too large for akoyas.
The small white pearls that are wrinkly on the coral strand could be rice krispies (Chinese fwp from the 1970s/early 1980s) that have been repurposed.
The white strand look like fwp.

Thank you for your replies, do any of you know about angel skin coral?

Also I love that name Rice Krispies!!!! That is so cute!!

TahitianDreamin, some interesting necklaces here! I don't know much about Angel Skin Coral, but yours appears to be natural color. The little pearls are cultured freshwater; I agree with Pearl Dreams as to their vintage, and suspect the coral is the same. I've seen quite a few necklaces with a similar combination of coral and pearls.

Suggest a you do a google search for the angel skin coral info. Thanks very much for sharing!

The large dark strand of pearls, which I agree are Tahitians, and may not be very old, as that "pinch clasp" is a fairly new style, if it's the one that has a post insert.

It IS the one with the post insert! I think it is so cool, I can't believe you knew that just looking at it! That's a good call with the vintages. I have found a bit of info on this coral but I will keep learning. It's a pretty broad topic! Thanks for your input as well!

Lol, that is funny about the clasp! It's a good one for peeps with dexterity issues.

Back to the coral, here are some excellent photos and info from our knowledgeable member Cliclasp, who lives in Paris. One of her interests is to collect coral pieces and resell some of them. She usually stops by more often but is currently in the process of publishing a book about CLASPS throughout history.

I think the smaller blacks could be treated Japanese Akoya. I like the color and the size. I have some 8mm Tahitian necklaces. The size is more acceptable to more than the big ones. Comments to me are "there so heavy" "look like flintstones" ... The coral is pretty but nothing special. The color should be pink all the way around the bead. Then its too cool. The clasp you like is newish design (less then 10 years) and works great for older folks who have trouble with the "fish hook" In hand is more definate but they all seem Tahitian and not dyed FWCP.
I've not seen such a black as this with dyed FWCP. Great stuff.
N

Back