What do I have here? please help.

pinkp23

DSC_0466.jpgDSC_0469 (2).JPGDSC_0470.jpg

I know NOTHING about pearls so I have no idea what I have. Pearls appear close in color, size, and shape. 14k gold clasp with what looks like a G for a makers mark. pearls do feel gritty and some have surface imperfections. the bracelet pearls have a pinkish color and measure 5.50mm to 5.70 in size. The necklace pearls have a light cream color and range in size from 6.28mm to 6.48

the pearls were acquired through an estate sale

Hi pinkp23,

Probably cultured akoya pearls, given your description, although it would be nice to see closeups of the imperfections. Pearls can be cream colored from the start, but also yellowing can occur over time. Akoya pearls are bleached and then pinked, pre-treatments that are routine and not disclosed.

Imitation pearls would tend to be all the same size, not gritty, and usually would not have 14K clasps (although clasps can be changed.) Freshwaters would tend not to be so round, especially older ones.

here is a close up of the necklace strand. also what can you tell me about the makers mark?pearls1.jpgpearls2.jpg

They look like akoya (salt water) pearls. Enjoy wearing them.

The makers mark on the clasp is probably the company that made the clasp, and not the company that sold the pearls. It's only on the very high end pearls, like Mikimoto, or a company like Tiffany's that would have their own clasps with their own markings. Your clasps are generic fishhook clasps that can be bought from any jewelry making company.

I agree with BWeaves... that mark is very common and isn't a maker's mark. Were they recently restrung? The threads look very clean.

So if they are not from a certain high end maker how would one go about knowing the quality or value of what they have. Is it simply by the pearls themselves? From what you guys can tell would this pearl necklace and bracelet be on the lower, mid, or higher value? I'm sorry I am new to this and to pearls. I have just got the pearls so I do not have any background on them. The necklace string looks quite clean. The bracelet strand does show dirt and some wild blue strings at one place.

As for me 14 k G - G - gold and nothing else

Those close-ups show too many blemishes to be higher end.

Lower end akoya pearls have lower luster, more blemishes, and many have thin nacre, which one can see by slowly rolling the strand on a background. If there are areas of thin nacre where the bead nucleus can be seen through the nacre, the strand appears to "blink".

You have real, cultured, akoya pearls, that are on the low end, price wise. If you like them, wear them. If you don't like them, sell them, but just realize, you may get less than $100 for them.

Back