Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The exact same Alligator tape is available in my shop, in single rolls, green color.

When doing lots of projects at a time, I swear by it! Gotta have tight knots!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

• Aaahhhhh! Thank you ladies!!!!!!

Comment

• Here's something I like a lot, for any crafts using strong threads or wires. Dritz Leather Thimble, runs around $6 - $7. US, available online and at craft/fabric/quilt shops, Jo-Ann's etc. Soft, thin, flexible leather protects your finger, elastic back to hold it in place. There are other brands, but you want the cheap, soft and thin one such as the Dritz. the more you use it, the softer it gets, and I've never managed to put a hole in mine after years of use. I need some of Pattye's tape too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dritz Leather Thimble.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	367071
        Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

• I get Self-Adherent Wrap tape (flexible bandage) at Walgreens. (same principal as above, but Latex Free).

Comment

• I'm adding a link to LloydJewelry's YouTube video entitled "Hand Tie Freshwater Pearls, Salt Water pearls. DIY Save restringing cost."
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRID8v8pfk

Edit 9/9/19: I'm adding a link to Lloydsjewelry's more recent video:
            Hand Tie Pearls a Gemologist's awl method on power pro, or beaders secret

Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Also you can get the tape that manicurists use to wrap their fingers from those beauty supply shops in Malls I would think.
              https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

• CathyKeshi, Cool leather thimble! Looks really useful! Will be picking up one of these!
                Pattye

Comment

• Pattye, my thimble is worn, discolored and rather old ... a bit like me, actually It gets softer and softer with use, and the price is unbeatable even if you only use it occasionally. I got mine many years ago, for making wire wrapped silk ribbon roses ... the wire would just cut long grooves into my fingers. Hmmm maybe this is why my hands don't work so well these days LOL ... But I like the sound of that tape you sell ... I think I want to try that too!
                  Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

• This is my public service announcement to encourage everyone who has necklaces they are not wearing because they are a little bit too long to restring them!

I restrung my metallic white FW pearls last week. At 18.25" they were a little too long for most of my winter necklines, and many of my summer necklines. I found I wasn't wearing them often, but I really like them and wanted to wear them more! I also wanted to rearrange them a little to put more of the larger and more lustrous pearls in front and to move one less-lustrous pearl toward the back.

The drill holes were smaller than most other pearls I have strung. Serafil [name updated] from Pattye's shop was not passing through the end pearls when back-knotting, even with a fine needle; the roughness of the twisted wire needle was shredding the thread. I had to decide between reaming out the end pearls or using 20# Power Pro. I prefer not to enlarge drill holes if I don't have to, so I went with the Power Pro, which passed easily. I left out one pearl that was stubbornly clogged with glue.

With the thinner thread producing smaller knots, my necklace ended up 17" long. (I would post a photo but my H has the camera at work today.)

I've worn it more times in the past week than I did the entire previous year. Since I like to pair this necklace with matching metallic white studs, I am getting more use out of them, too. More is better!

Serafil or Beaders Secret is great, but if you have a lot of white pearls, it's not a bad idea to have some Power Pro on hand as well. It's good to have options.
                    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-28-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Pearl Dreams, I believe that pattye offers Beader's Secret in 3 different sizes. The thinnest works well on pearls with tiny drill holes and with small gemstone beads. The regular is great for most pearl projects, and the thickest is wonderful for heavier pearls with larger drill holes. Not every color comes in the different sizes, but it's nice to add a touch of color sometimes.

And to your point on the different stringing lengths...you can manipulate the size of the knots as well by using different types of knots.
                      Last edited by JerseyPearl; 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM.
                      http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
                      Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

• Thank you for pointing out that Pattye has the finer thread as well. I had lots of Power Pro on hand, however, and the break strength of 20# Power Pro is twice that of the finest Serafil or Beaders Secret, which breaks at 10#. I think for white, and moss green I prefer having the greater strength of Power Pro. But if I ever need other colors than white or green, then yes, I would try the finer Serafil / BS.

I have made larger knots where necessary, but I like to make the smallest knots necessary for the holes; to me they just look better that way.
                        Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-29-2020, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Serafil [name change] thread sizes

Hi to all the Beaders, Knotters, Stringers, Pearly Friends,

Thought it might be good to add some info here ~ helpful to have all in one place about Beader's Secret thread. Things like size, strength, diameter and a few tips.

It is currently offered in 4 sizes (3 listed in my Etsy store, and soon the 4th size, very heavy #10 will be added.)

Originally the only size offered was #30, which when used doubled, fits the drill holes of most pearls. It gives the classic look, that of a small, discrete knot which blocks the hole without pulling inside, yet allows the strand flexibility. This most popular size #30 is offered in over 50 colors. The other sizes are available in about half as many colors, but pretty much all the basic neutral shades and some brights.

Break strengths and diameters are provided by the commercial company; knot sizes measured by me and can, of course, vary slightly. Sorry, I couldn't get this chart to format directly on the page; it kept running the info together, so had to take a pic.

A way to check the size of thread with the pearl hole: Pull out about 2 feet of thread from the spool, but don't cut. Put the needle on and double the thread. Run the needle and thread through the end holes and back to make sure 4 threads will fit; tie a knot to check for fit if you think knot will be too small.

If the hole seems just a tad too large, you may need to work with 3-size #30 threads, or 4-#40 threads (2 doubled lengths). Either of those options make a tidy, smooth knot. Yes, I recommend you pull each thread; it does take a bit longer, but it's worth it. Sometimes we have to get creative!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010694.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	371045

You may want to check out Pricescope, where 3 years ago we had a detailed discussion about using 3 and multiple threads.

I recently restrung a pearl necklace that had been knotted with 6 strands of fine thread (12 when finishing the clasp)!
                          Last edited by pattye; 09-29-2020, 03:32 PM.
                          Pattye

Comment

• So helpful pattye! And thank you for giving us this wonderful product in so many sizes...very heavy sounds just perfect for some jadeite beads I have that need stringing!!!

Comment

• Thanks Pattye! You could print that off and include it in your packages as you do the colour list , very helpful !
                              https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                              https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

• Originally posted by pattye View Post
                                The exact same Alligator tape is available in my shop, in single rolls, green color.

When doing lots of projects at a time, I swear by it! Gotta have tight knots!
                                This is some good stuff, really good stuff. Also great for using on super tight jar lids...found that out by multitasking.

Comment

Working...
                                X